Making practices count

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Supernova
Medium Oil Ball: Rotorgrip Idol Cosmos
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out
Preferred Company: Storm

Making practices count

Post by skfboiler »

I'm 53yrs old and relatively a new bowler. I've been bowling for about 4 years now, averaged about 180 in this past winter league. To get ready for league season, I've been practicing once a week at the bowling center. I do not think I'm getting a lot out of practicing because I'm really not working on any specific aspect. How do I get the best out of the practice sessions to improve for the upcoming bowling season? Can someone describe what a particular practice session looks like?
Last edited by skfboiler on June 24th, 2018, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
gunso

Re: Making practices count

Post by gunso »

I'd start with dedicating the first 10-15 mins of most of them with spares. Especially corner spares. That will make the most difference in your average.

Other than that I'd look up Daria Pajaks and kegel drills from del warren on youtube and do them. Then shooy for score at the end of the session because practice also needa to be fun at your level of bowling

30 mins of dedicated practice to begin with is far greater than 3 hours of mindless bowling
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Just like any sport, it's best to seek advice from an instructor of some sort. They can at least get you started on the right path and provide you with a definitive direction to take in your practice sessions. The process of obtaining sound advice is uncomfortable for a lot of people. But, anything other than that is a shot in the dark.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

You probably already know what you aren't good at. You know there are certain things that come up and you hope they don't come up. You need to work on those. If you have no idea what you need work on then, the coach idea is the best idea.

just like others said before, don't go in there and get a fresh lane and see how high you can score. That doesn't do anything.

take my example. I am not used to moving left and "swinging the ball out". I can't practice now for several reasons. Wednesday, my normal ball wasn't strong enough (probably because I can't change the gritt on it at the present time). I ended up having to use my strongest ball which is a Hammer Ripped. In order to use this thing, I have to move atleast 2 boards left from the start. The first 2 games I got my average if you combine the games and / 2. The 3rd game I had to start moving left and I wasn't used to it. I wasn't used to swinging the ball out and also not used to the angularity of the thing. I am used to a control arcing ball. I ended up with a 6 count once and 7 count once because of missing the mark and shooting 10 and getting it too far out and not coming back. I also pulled the ball left twice the same game. I also couldn't carry anything. I had 5 9 counts that game and that 7 count left me with a huge 2 4 10 split or something. 2nd game barely hit high and left a 4 10.

So anyway when I practice I need to practice what I am not good at. If the lanes are oiled up I will try starting left several boards where I am not used to and trying to not get the ball too far out etc. If the lanes are dry (which I most likely need in this situation), then I will ball down to a pearl ball and try to learn how to swing the ball out and have it come back.

So what I am saying is, if the lane conditions aren't there for something you aren't good at then try to fine a lane where it is. Then when these conditions come up you are better prepared for them. That 1 game I shot 188 I think with no doubles and a split and dropped my average 3 pins because of it.

But if your average isn't high then just like the people here say, practice spares. I haven't missed a spare (other then a split, and I don't count a 1 2 4 10) in atleast 3-4 times. Even if you miss 1 normal spare every 3 games I think you should alteast practice spares. that 1 miss can cost you a 600,700 etc series because of that 1 miss you could have had.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

A few tidbits. Off the top of my head.
For consideration ...

Always have a plan, keep notes, review notes.
As mentioned, you have an idea of your areas of concern. Work on them, focus on the process.

Much of this is not a product of my mind, it's from reading, watching, listening, lessons, over the years.

Post EVERY shot, pose like your picture will be taken.

If possible, take videos of yourself for self review and if you so choose, share them.
Use the video guidelines as detailed on the wiki.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compare yourself, with what you see in the Kegel Teen Masters Tips videos, for stance, ball placement, swing slot, footwork, posture at the line.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For your perusal, video at least 10 deliveries to observe consistency.
You are recording YOU, not you trying to score, so bowl the SAME line at the same FOCAL POINT. For the next set, change your focal points, for example, at the 4 pin, then the 6 pin.
See if anything changes, that will show tendencies.
KEEP your videos and compare to prior sessions to monitor changes.

Try this, if you bring 4 balls, set up a line for each ball, as if there were 4 people, and bowl the 4 games. This will teach you to focus on your intent and also observe ball reaction.
It's best if the balls are different enough to force you to bowl different lines.

Try this, use a ball you know is the wrong ball, grind out a score ... Without overworking your body so as to avoid injury, for example don't exceed what your body can do!

Practice hitting these 13 points of contact: Each pin in the front and each pocket between them.

Practice spares, but do it as if you will not be getting help from the pattern!!
That is, roll it straight, find and use 1 for the right side and 1 for the left near target at the arrow or splice zone. See the example in Ray Wong's video
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Buena Suerte!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John