Bowling Blind rules etc

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Bowling Blind rules etc

Post by krava »

https://www.leaguesecretary.com/bowling ... er/4/99817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is the situation. We are suppose to go against a team called "BYE": The BYE team has won 0 games. I don't know if that means we just get a free win or what? I believe it is a "blind team". I don't see how the blind team hasn't even won 1 game yet.

So without all that mess I have a few questions:

#1 What is the rules regarding if we bowled "blind". I thought that meant you had to get within 10 pins of your average. According to the numbers, each bowler on the blind team comes out to 210. our league I think is 90% of 220. So all I have to worry about is getting 210? What if your average is 230+ 240+? Still at 210? From what I am reading on this, I believe all we got to do is deal with 210 total for each bowler.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Re: Bowling Blind rules etc

Post by spmcgivern »

Usually you have to bowl within 10 pins of your individual average if you have individual points. If all you have is team total, then it would be 10 times the number of players (50 pins for a team of 5).

Ultimately it is dependent on your league rules.

"Blind" teams don't usually have wins and losses. What tends to happen is the program the secretary uses has to account for each game and that is when you will see blind teams with a "record".

Make sure your league prize fund accounts for total games won by actual teams and not total games per night/session/year. A blind team could conceivably have a significant number of wins and that money needs to be divvied out to the rest of the teams (for those funds based on points). We had a league with a "loss" of about $200 when the final prize fund (all point money :evil: ) was based on the number of teams on the schedule. The blind team won some games and the final per point prize wasn't adjusted.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Definitely check with your league rules. While it's typical to be within your team average minus 10 per bowler (ours is team average minus 40) there can be differences. It's best to know.

I keep the rules we got on week 1 in my bag until the league is over, just so I can refer back to them. Now that we're going all Leaguesecretary.com, the rules are there, which is handy.

Our rules state, "When bowling against a BYE, the team must bowl within 40 pins of the team average to win the points."

But good to double check! :)
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

krava wrote:https://www.leaguesecretary.com/bowling ... er/4/99817

here is the situation. We are suppose to go against a team called "BYE": The BYE team has won 0 games. I don't know if that means we just get a free win or what? I believe it is a "blind team". I don't see how the blind team hasn't even won 1 game yet.

So without all that mess I have a few questions:

#1 What is the rules regarding if we bowled "blind". I thought that meant you had to get within 10 pins of your average. According to the numbers, each bowler on the blind team comes out to 210. our league I think is 90% of 220. So all I have to worry about is getting 210? What if your average is 230+ 240+? Still at 210? From what I am reading on this, I believe all we got to do is deal with 210 total for each bowler.
While a lot of players use the terms interchangeably, a "BYE" and a "BLIND" are not actually the same thing.

A "BYE" is a nonexistent team that you have when there is a uneven number of teams. The "BYE" it typically doesn't have averages or scores etc. and it doesn't win points (So that's why it shows 0 points)

When playing against the BYE team, Most leagues use what is called the "Earn the Points system" which means each player on your team has to score within 10 pins (unless the league specifies another number) of their average to win (or the team as a whole has to be within so many pins of team average). (it's like bowling in a forfeit situation See Usbc Rule 104d).

Example: according to the sheet you posted. You have a 231 ave and your partner has a 174 for a team average of 405.

According to your league rules it says:
"Bye Teams
Team
When bowling against a BYE, the team must bowl within 10 pins of the team average to win the
points. The team average is the sum of the averages of the bowlers who bowled. In the case of a
"tie", the team wins the points (points are not split).

The BYE team name shall be BYE."

So going by that, for your team team to win each game against the BYE. Your team needs to shoot at least a 395 scratch game.

(Note it doesn't matter what score you or your partner shoots, just as long as both when added together equal 395 or more)

A BLIND is what is used for score when a player is absent, Typically it's the players average -10pins.

Example: Your average is 231, if you were absent. Your blind would be 221.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."