Help Nord Score On House Shots

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Locked
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Posts: 375
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 3:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by TomaHawk » June 6th, 2018, 3:45 pm

JJakobsen wrote: Without being into your national sports (baseball is an american thing), he is asking Nord to TRY atleast.

Also, Nord, if you get pain when you follow through properly, you aren't doing it right. If you are grabbing the ball, or whatever it is, something is off...
...and I'm asking Phil to throw a 100mph fastball. Pointless, senseless, and any other "less" thing a person can think of.

Phil Niekro is a professional baseball pitcher who was a renowned knuckle ball pitcher. Niekro's bio is probably available on the net.

Nord should continually strive to do things which could cause him possible physical distress, mental anguish, time, and money. It's loud and clear now.

User avatar
Nord
Member
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 9:12 am
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Nord » June 6th, 2018, 3:52 pm

MegaMav wrote:


You can do that sequence if you want, but I'd rather see you project the ball better down lane without knuckling it.
I can give it a try.
Seems unnatural to me since the more compact I get, the better accuracy and more consistent ball reaction I get down lane.
But, I will try it.

In the meantime, what do you want me to do about the Jackpot when I get it?
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 135
Ball speed: 12 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball. The back 9.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.

User avatar
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Posts: 271
Joined: March 10th, 2013, 9:59 pm
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global
Location: Svolvær, Lofoten, Norway

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by JJakobsen » June 6th, 2018, 4:04 pm

TomaHawk wrote:
...and I'm asking Phil to throw a 100mph fastball. Pointless, senseless, and any other "less" thing a person can think of.

Phil Niekro is a professional baseball pitcher who was a renowned knuckle ball pitcher. Niekro's bio is probably available on the net.

Nord should continually strive to do things which could cause him possible physical distress, mental anguish, time, and money. It's loud and clear now.
Because a change in technique is impossible to do.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!

TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Posts: 375
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 3:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by TomaHawk » June 6th, 2018, 4:39 pm

It seems that most people have to the conclusion, Nord's game is what it is. It's an older style. In today's game, swing is king. That philosophy did not apply during that era which Nord's game most closely emulates.

Pendulum is not artificially created.

What is the purpose of more follow through with regard to Nord?

There is only one person that comes to mind who's follow through continued on a path that was greater than the height of his backswing, Marsall Holman. His follow through was created by the speed of his footwork. If Nord was going to try and generate more speed, just like Holman, it would have to be accomplished through the application of higher foot speed.

But, Nord's style more closely resembles that of curling. Don't know if faster would necessarily be better. I think there would be more intricate timing issues. Also, he would be on his slide leg for a longer period of time, possibly creating an issue in regards to balance as well. Only Nord knows if his legs are up to the task of performing the approach at a higher rate of speed.

44boyd
Member
Member
Posts: 561
Joined: January 25th, 2017, 3:10 am
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick
Location: Valrico Florida

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by 44boyd » June 6th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Nord wrote: I can give it a try.
Seems unnatural to me since the more compact I get, the better accuracy and more consistent ball reaction I get down lane.
But, I will try it.

In the meantime, what do you want me to do about the Jackpot when I get it?
Once again, look at what you left. You were all over the place on your high series. You were high then light etc..
Stacy

User avatar
Nord
Member
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 9:12 am
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Nord » June 6th, 2018, 6:30 pm

If I increase my foot speed then maybe I can get more extension.
If you look at this video of Billy Hardwick, his back swing is very low like mine, but he has very good forward foot speed and he slides a long way (I do not slide, I plant) and he extends.
He also has the balance arm out with thumb down like MegaMav pointed out he wants to see me do.

[youtube][/youtube]
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 135
Ball speed: 12 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball. The back 9.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.

User avatar
MegaMav
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4528
Joined: April 27th, 2007, 5:00 am
THS Average: 230
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 Over 5/8 Up
Speed: 15.25 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - The Closer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswck - Forest Quantum
Light Oil Ball: DV8 - Poison Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies
Location: Malta, NY

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by MegaMav » June 6th, 2018, 6:55 pm

I cant wait for the moment Nord realizes he is not a prisoner of the past.
Nord wrote: In the meantime, what do you want me to do about the Jackpot when I get it?
Get it plugged and hold.
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh

Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Posts: 477
Joined: January 24th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Arkansas » June 6th, 2018, 7:06 pm

TomaHawk wrote:What is the purpose of more follow through with regard to Nord?
MegaMav wrote:One key: You cannot knuckle it down the lane, cutting the swing short doing this. Thats why im asking you to elongate your finish.
TomaHawk wrote:There is only one person that comes to mind who's follow through continued on a path that was greater than the height of his backswing, Marsall Holman. His follow through was created by the speed of his footwork. If Nord was going to try and generate more speed, just like Holman, it would have to be accomplished through the application of higher foot speed.
You might want to look at the video Nord posted of Billy Hardwick. His follow thru is easily higher than the apex of his backswing. Most bowlers accelerate through the follow through to create revs. Even without an acceleration, it takes more energy to stop the arm swing short than to let it continue.
MegaMav wrote:Cutting it short you're actually using more muscle to stop your arm than just let the arm go.

TomaHawk wrote:But, Nord's style more closely resembles that of curling. Don't know if faster would necessarily be better. I think there would be more intricate timing issues. Also, he would be on his slide leg for a longer period of time, possibly creating an issue in regards to balance as well. Only Nord knows if his legs are up to the task of performing the approach at a higher rate of speed.
Too bad he's not curling. Maybe he should adapt his style to emulate a bowler rather than a curler.
James Talley

TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Posts: 375
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 3:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by TomaHawk » June 6th, 2018, 7:22 pm

[/quote]Too bad he's not curling. Maybe he should adapt his style to emulate a bowler.......[/quote]

Specifically, what kind of bowler are you referring to?

User avatar
Nord
Member
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 9:12 am
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Nord » June 6th, 2018, 7:43 pm

MegaMav wrote:Get it plugged and hold.
Ok.
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 135
Ball speed: 12 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball. The back 9.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.

Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Posts: 477
Joined: January 24th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Arkansas » June 6th, 2018, 7:45 pm

TomaHawk wrote:Specifically, what kind of bowler are you referring to?
Pick one. Or don't. I don't really care. If I were picking I'd choose someone who scores well on modern conditions, but that's just me. Nord has a nostalgia for full rollers of the 60's I can't understand, but I understand the type of person he is. And you.

Also, I assume you're point is to come back and say that Nord is trying to emulate a bowler, just someone from a bygone era. I'll wait for you to make that claim before I point about the obtuseness it would require to make such a claim.

I was just pointing out the uselessness of your statement.
James Talley

User avatar
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Posts: 303
Joined: January 19th, 2010, 11:28 pm
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by MeNoRevs » June 6th, 2018, 8:03 pm

MegaMav wrote:I cant wait for the moment Nord realizes he is not a prisoner of the past.
Won't happen. Look at his youtube channel, look at his post on here. Like Arkansas said about nostalgia, its dead on. His passion and love for the yester-years bowling is much stronger than trying to work on something to improve.

He is happy bowling like he does, then so be it, at least he is still bowling.

User avatar
Nord
Member
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 9:12 am
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Nord » June 6th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Arkansas wrote: Pick one. Or don't. I don't really care. If I were picking I'd choose someone who scores well on modern conditions, but that's just me. Nord has a nostalgia for full rollers of the 60's I can't understand, but I understand the type of person he is. And you.

Also, I assume you're point is to come back and say that Nord is trying to emulate a bowler, just someone from a bygone era. I'll wait for you to make that claim before I point about the obtuseness it would require to make such a claim.

I was just pointing out the uselessness of your statement.
Joe Wilman is a full roller with a style very similar to mine.
Low push away, suitcase grip, abbreviated follow through.

[youtube][/youtube]
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 135
Ball speed: 12 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball. The back 9.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.

User avatar
Nord
Member
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 9:12 am
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Nord » June 6th, 2018, 8:09 pm

MeNoRevs wrote:
Won't happen. Look at his youtube channel, look at his post on here. Like Arkansas said about nostalgia, its dead on. His passion and love for the yester-years bowling is much stronger than trying to work on something to improve.

He is happy bowling like he does, then so be it, at least he is still bowling.
I do love the old game and the players that put bowling on the map and allowed us to have everything we have today in bowling.
To minimize them, or disparage their styles and achievements is an insult to them and bowling itself.
That being said, I am willing to improve and work on things that can help me to bowl better and with less, or no pain.
I have already stated earlier that I am not entrenched.
So just saying "Nord doesn't want help and wont change" is not true and not valuable.
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 135
Ball speed: 12 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball. The back 9.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.

Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Posts: 477
Joined: January 24th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Arkansas » June 6th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Nord wrote: Joe Wilman is a full roller with a style very similar to mine.
Low push away, suitcase grip, abbreviated follow through.

[youtube][/youtube]
Cool. Emulate his style then. Do a step by step comparison. He has tons of ball speed, foot speed, a fast follow through, and, best of all, fluidity. That's something your game is sorely lacking. Do a step-by-step analysis of how you compare, or maybe one of our great coaches here could do that.
James Talley

User avatar
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Posts: 303
Joined: January 19th, 2010, 11:28 pm
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by MeNoRevs » June 6th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Nord wrote: I do love the old game and the players that put bowling on the map and allowed us to have everything we have today in bowling.
To minimize them, or disparage their styles and achievements is an insult to them and bowling itself.
That being said, I am willing to improve and work on things that can help me to bowl better and with less, or no pain.
I have already stated earlier that I am not entrenched.
So just saying "Nord doesn't want help and wont change" is not true and not valuable.
Who is minimizing them? I have not seen one person disparage their styles and achievements.

Today's bowling is such a different sport than what it was in the 50's and 60's, that's why its been said over and over again, and the word "modern game" has been used so often. what they bowled on, what they bowled with, it worked for them, Just like football, the game is so different than your 3 yards and a cloud of dust,run heavy offenses. Everything changes, and we have the ability as human beings to adapt and change with them.

You went and practiced, so you did you normal throw down 10 and knuckled the ball, you were so happy with that, you even gave it a nickname. You were keeping track of strikes. That's not practice, and that wasn't giving what Eric asked (numerous times) you to do a fare shake.

There is nothing wrong with what you want to do, what you are in love with style wise. Kudos for bowling even with injury, just don't expect to see anything change. I just hope you keep enjoying bowling.

User avatar
Nord
Member
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 9:12 am
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Nord » June 6th, 2018, 9:30 pm

MeNoRevs wrote: You went and practiced, so you did you normal throw down 10 and knuckled the ball, you were so happy with that, you even gave it a nickname. You were keeping track of strikes. That's not practice, and that wasn't giving what Eric asked (numerous times) you to do a fare shake.
The series I posted was not from practice, that was from league competition.
Off league days I will practice what MegaMav wants me to try.
But during competition, I have to try to win, so I have to do what I know I can do for now.
And that night I did not do what I normally do, I actually tried to shorten everything and be more compact to see if accuracy, consistency and ball motion would be better, and they were.
But that doesn't mean that is the best way for me to bowl.
If I can adopt techniques that will make my accuracy and carry much better and with less effort, then I am all for that.
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 135
Ball speed: 12 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball. The back 9.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.

User avatar
MegaMav
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4528
Joined: April 27th, 2007, 5:00 am
THS Average: 230
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 Over 5/8 Up
Speed: 15.25 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - The Closer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswck - Forest Quantum
Light Oil Ball: DV8 - Poison Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies
Location: Malta, NY

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by MegaMav » June 6th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Nord wrote: If I can adopt techniques that will make my accuracy and carry much better and with less effort, then I am all for that.
Its NOT about accuracy on a house shot, to a point.
Its about generating angle on the backend of the lane for more power at the pins.
Thats house shot bowilng, not knuckling it.
Learn how to generate angle and that 630 you just shot will be at least more regular.
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh

User avatar
Nord
Member
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 9:12 am
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by Nord » June 6th, 2018, 9:49 pm

MegaMav wrote:
Its NOT about accuracy on a house shot, to a point.
Its about generating angle on the backend of the lane for more power at the pins.
Do you want to score or not?
What do I want?
1. A style of bowling that is non-strain on my body, requires little effort, is repeatable and provides consistency and reliability. Something I can easily do until I am 100.
2. A style of bowling that promotes good ball action that results in higher scoring with less effort and greater margin for error so misses are not the end of the world.
3. A style of bowling that does not require me to hit one board consistently time and time again in order to score effectively.
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 135
Ball speed: 12 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball. The back 9.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.

TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Posts: 375
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 3:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by TomaHawk » June 6th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Nord wrote: What do I want?
1. A style of bowling that is non-strain on my body, requires little effort, is repeatable and provides consistency and reliability. Something I can easily do until I am 100.
2. A style of bowling that promotes good ball action that results in higher scoring with less effort and greater margin for error so misses are not the end of the world.
3. A style of bowling that does not require me to hit one board consistently time and time again in order to score effectively.
Sounds like an investment strategy. And if you really, really think about it, it is.

Locked