Causes of ball cracking

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Causes of ball cracking

Post by stevespo »

[youtube][/youtube]

I've never had a problem, until last week. For several years all my equipment has been on the floor of a large hallway closet that stays fairly cool - no problems at all. I also have 2 lockers in 2 centers, and never a problem there either.

Last week I lost a black Guru and a Paradox. One on a rack in my living room, and the other on a rack in my basement. (Yes, I've run out of room in the closet.) No rapid temperature or humidity swings, especially in the basement, which is quite consistent year round.

Both balls have been plugged and it looks like it was a case where (expansion, stress riser, tension) and something had to give. These have been baked many times, without any issues - so somehow heating to 130F isn't a problem, but sitting in my basement...

Perhaps Luke is correct and it's the way they were sitting and the fact that they don't get used regularly. Sitting in one position, likely grip up and plug material. Oh well, I did want to add a new Paradox or perhaps an Idol or Code xXx...

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Re: Causes of ball cracking

Post by stevespo »

Funny thing is, I was recently talking with a teammate about plugging both of them and passing them on. So, perhaps they knew I'd already found a new home for them and they decided to revolt.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Ever seen a Urethane ball crack?
I have not.

I believe the curing process of the reactive urethane can continue over time causing the coverstock to shrink, creating higher surface tension. It will give at a weak point. Whether it be a hole, pin riser or I believe a scratch on the surface can be enough to cause the ball to crack. Much like breaking glass, all it takes is a scratch in the surface to allow you to break it precisely at that point.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

EricHartwell wrote:Ever seen a Urethane ball crack?
I have not.

I believe the curing process of the reactive urethane can continue over time causing the coverstock to shrink, creating higher surface tension. It will give at a weak point. Whether it be a hole, pin riser or I believe a scratch on the surface can be enough to cause the ball to crack. Much like breaking glass, all it takes is a scratch in the surface to allow you to break it precisely at that point.
I haven't seen urethane, but, the first "new" ball I ever had crack, was a (polyester) 2 week old Brunswick Mark X the pro shop I worked, at got on promo before the ball was released to the public.