How to avoid getting hand on top of the ball

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Augustblade

How to avoid getting hand on top of the ball

Post by Augustblade »

Right now I really struggle to avoid getting my hand on top of the ball.
IMG_3457.PNG
When my hand comes on the top, there is almost no room for me to give the ball the rev. I can't cup my wrist during the downswing. Is it because lack of wrist strength? My arm is quite weak and I am using a wrist device.
IMG_3458.PNG
This is a footage I recorded of a guy from my college bowling team. He's not that crazy power player but he can still hook the ball and the hand is definitely not on the top.

Any tip and practice for me to overcome this? I don't want this to become muscle memory and I believe if I can overcome this my game will go to next level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: How to avoid getting hand on top of the ball

Post by 44boyd »

Without a video to show the whole approach it’s hard to say what you aren’t doing. Could be pulling or you already start with your hand on the side of the ball etc..
Stacy
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

One is "gnilwob", bowling backwards. Start at the foul line just standing there, doing no steps, just lifting the ball, letting it swing, and releasing it. Be sure to have plenty of knee bend and body angle, like you normally would at release. You can increase to 1 step, standing in 4th step, pushing the ball away, letting it swing, and when it start to fall down, start the slide step. 2 step is similar, you start when the ball passes your thigh on the way back. The 0 step can be done at home if you want. If you are really struggling, try just at the ball return rack, are you at all able to cup and cock your wrist?

I like these, because you start simple, get the feel in, then increase the number of steps while trying to retain that feeling.

Another thing you can work on is to get more behind or inside the ball. Ref http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... f_the_ball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cocking your wrist also gives you more cup virtually for free, in a sense, as you get more time for your fingers to do the work they wanna do. Its also much easier, atleast for me, to cock than to cup, especially mid swing.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Video would be helpful. Your hand is on top with fingers almost pointing forward. That's closer to a spinner release, so you must be turning very early.

I agree with the isolation drills to help with keeping your hand behind the ball. Kegel Training Center has a series of these that are helpful, but you can also search for 1 step drill, etc.

[youtube][/youtube]
Kegel Training Drills Playlist

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

stevespo wrote:Video would be helpful. Your hand is on top with fingers almost pointing forward. That's closer to a spinner release, so you must be turning very early.

I agree with the isolation drills to help with keeping your hand behind the ball. Kegel Training Center has a series of these that are helpful, but you can also search for 1 step drill, etc.

Steve
Here's a bit longer video were Joe S. explains how to do the Foul line drill.

[youtube][/youtube]
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

August, I think you know this from prior threads, but just in case, I will reiterate.
Some Key factors, a properly fitted bowling ball including the use of tape (tape should be clean and not add drag on the thumb) Ron Clifton's Magic Carpet tape is a good tool.
Research tape options, in the ball, on the bowler.

Next, let the ball fall from the top of the swing!!!! Let it fall, do not force it!!!
While you are developing this habit, don't even try to hook the ball.
Learn the feel, develop the habit and groove.
Just focus on that, as become consistent, connect targets to focal points.

Ron Clifton has articles on this on his website, see the Wiki for the link and other articles on the swing and the grip.
View the ETBF videos these segments are on the physical game. Absorb the lecture.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John