Multipoint targeting

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

ihasaball

Multipoint targeting

Post by ihasaball »

I'm an older amateur with athletic issues and a 90 something average. I'm using a plastic ball to reduce variation due to lane conditions, but I still get plenty of hook on a house pattern. I've watched some videos and tried to implement some things, but I've mostly struggled to hit my target. In the distant past, I've tried aiming at the pins, aiming at the arrows, or aiming at the dots in the lay down area. Any of these seemed to work for awhile and then not work so well, so I'd change from pins to arrows or arrows to dots, and see temporary improvement.

I've stuck with arrows for the past few months and focused on trying to pick up spares by changing my starting foot position while keeping everything else the same. It's worked well when I manage to hit my target, but I'm often missing it by enough to throw some gutter balls. Due to my athletic issues, my run up and slide is actually a waddle up and try not to fall, so there's that issue, also.

Recently, I had a multi day issue with missing my target to the right, and it just kept getting worse and worse. I decided to aim for the dots instead of the arrows and it worked great for a couple of games. I bowled about 40 points higher on average. Then it didn't seem to work so well, but I figured out what happened and fixed it. What I did to fix it was I set up to aim at the arrows, staring my arrow down in the normal way, and then switched to the dot as my actual aim point for my approach. That seemed to work better as it got my body facing the right way before I focused on my target. I think that focusing first and only on the target allowed me to set up in the wrong direction.

Since then, I've searched for aiming technique videos and found the three point aiming system that includes aiming first at a pin, then an exit point, and finally the target. Some videos also discuss a slide point. However, I felt like there was information overload. Is there a simpler version that a rec bowler like me can use on a typical house pattern? For example, I'm not sure how to figure out the exit point on such a pattern. I'll add that I'm bowling straight down the ten board. If my speed is high, I can hit the pocket. If I slow down, I can hit Brooklyn or miss the headpin left. If I miss my board right and bowl with speed, I can miss the headpin right. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: Multipoint targeting

Post by boomer »

The point of it is that you are bowling a LINE. Well, an arc, but it starts out as a line.

If you just think about it, aiming at a single point (a dot or an arrow) won't give you a line. I've seen people say, "I hit my mark" with the ball traveling directly into the channel (ROFL) or crossing over badly. But they're not looking at the LINE as it crosses the arrows (or dots or imperfections in the lane or reflection or whatever)

I aim at an arrow - but with the eye toward the LINE that I want the ball to travel. Not just the arrow, but the line, and where that line crosses the arrows.

Make it as simple as you can deal with, just remember, you're bowling a LINE / ARC / PATH and not just a dot/arrow.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

What are the athletic issues you mentioned?
Although comparison can be the thief of joy, it can be a useful tool when used with the right frame of mind. In other words, if there are folks similar to you, what are they doing?

BTW, Rob Mautner an active coach who is a senior with some physical challenges uses plastic too. I'm an old folkie too, have not bowled since 2005. I salute you for being active, it's easy to find excuses not to do things.
I'm hoping you will enjoy the sport for many more years.

Targeting, as an alternative, think of the line, orient your body, pick 2 targets on the line that are close enough for you to see the ball roll over. When you can, compare what you saw to what a buddy saw. Trace your line with your swing and hand.

In my limited view, I see us neglecting segments of the population, that's an untapped market. Look at physical activities, the target group is narrowed to a narrow group.
That's a whole 'nuther topic ...

Your learning curve will be better if you can work with a coach.
I like Ron Hoppe's practice of first having a sit down meeting and exchange of information.
Both sides need to approach with no preconceived ideas or assumptions.
I could perhaps ask 20 questions, but Q and A real-time is much better.

One on one is better than clinics. In a clinic or group session, the coach to student ratio can be poor. I've seen group learn to bowl sessions in a senior community, too many students, also treating 20 people as if they were clones of some "typical" old person.

Accuracy is important for all bowler's.

I like Ray Wong's short video, the portion on spares is very good.

[youtube][/youtube]

Just to put out a few quick items for your consideration.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Here is a bit of wisdom by one of our forum members, Greg Helms.
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr
This is an excellent tip and method.

Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Dont try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.

USBC Silver Certified Coach
Brunswick Pro Staff
More later perhaps ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
ihasaball

Post by ihasaball »

I'm not quite a senior, but I'm getting there. My athletic issues are mostly due to multiple back/neck surgeries and consequent weight gain and loss of flexibility. In addition to the issues of executing a run up and slide, I can't hold the ball in the same starting position or follow through completely. The shift left in my ball starting position causes the ball to pass in front of my eyes during approach, so I briefly lose sight of the target. I also can't finish with my hand far right and almost touching my back behind my right shoulder. Now I finish with my fingertips almost touching my forehead or left ear. As a righthander, that means I have trouble bowling the ball straight when I want. But I think I see signs of recovery compared to only a few weeks ago, so I might get that motion back with time and practice.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

Missing target to the right for me was me getting my ball too far away from my ankle. I still haven't fixed it all but the closer I get to it the less I miss. I don't know where you stand either. I was standing at 28/29 shooting at 10. now I shoot at 22 (should probably be 18-20 but getting closer). you could have a swing problem that is throwing the ball that far off target as well. hard to see without any video.