Finger Tip Pain

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kmann300

Finger Tip Pain

Post by kmann300 »

Hello all I just had a question to see if anyone could help me or can point me in the right direction to correct. I have been bowling for years and now I find myself having pain in my finger tip joints and wanted to know is it me trying to hook the ball like I was 20 again or is it time to maybe change the pitch in the fingers. Anyone with any clue to why this id happening. Thanks in advance for all that help.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: Finger Tip Pain

Post by JohnP »

Your joints have probably stiffened from the years of bowling, so you need to have your grip evaluated by a qualified driller. You can check the joint flexibility yourself, just bend your joint while using your other hand to slightly force the bend. A flexible joint will bend 90*. The grip adjustment will be a combination of span reduction and more reverse pitch. -- JohnP
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

JohnP wrote:Your joints have probably stiffened from the years of bowling, so you need to have your grip evaluated by a qualified driller. You can check the joint flexibility yourself, just bend your joint while using your other hand to slightly force the bend. A flexible joint will bend 90*. The grip adjustment will be a combination of span reduction and more reverse pitch. -- JohnP
90 DEGREES?! If I hold down the inner joint, I only get 45 degrees of the outer (fingertip) joints on my right hand, maybe 60 on my left! Soon I only have indentations in my balls, my joints being so stiff! :lol:
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Here's a link to the MoRich Fitting guide from the bowlingchat wiki. Page 5 (including the cover sheet) shows the flexibility test. It's been a while since I looked at it, Mo calls 90* very flexible and 70* normal. You can also compare with the joints on your other hand to see what bowling has done to them. My ring finger is in the very stiff category. -- JohnP

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... itting.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

Yeah for me it is 45 on middle finger, 60 on ring finger on my playing hand. I play sarge easter, so my outer joint on the ring finger doesn't see much action!
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

I have about 60 degrees bend in my middle finger. Mo put me at 1/8 forward linear pitch and a shorter span. Very comfortable.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
Nord
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Post by Nord »

kmann300 wrote:Hello all I just had a question to see if anyone could help me or can point me in the right direction to correct. I have been bowling for years and now I find myself having pain in my finger tip joints and wanted to know is it me trying to hook the ball like I was 20 again or is it time to maybe change the pitch in the fingers. Anyone with any clue to why this id happening. Thanks in advance for all that help.
How often do you bowl and how much?
I find that my joints start to stiffen and can start to hurt if I bowl too frequently such as when I practice a lot in one week.
If I back off the bowling, then the stiffness goes away and the pain is gone.
It could simply be repetitive stress finally kicking in.
If you bowl a lot then cut back for a couple of weeks, or stop entirely and see if things go back to normal.
If they do, then you just gotta bowl less.
We are not getting any younger.
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 145
Ball speed: 13 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 269 bowled with Pitch Black.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Kmann300, bowling should not hurt your hand, as said before, a fitting evaluation may be what you need. As we age our joints become stiffer and flexibility is key in selecting proper spans and pitches, post your location and I am sure someone here will point you in the right direction to a qualified ball fitter/driller in your area. Hope we can find someone near by but if not it is well worth a long drive to have a good fit.

Nord the pain in your joints may be from squeezing the ball, in your videos I have seen you keep your hand on top of the ball through out the whole swing, this squeezing will also rob you of a lot of ball speed. Changing your technique a bit will fix those two problems.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent