USBC New Ball Specs

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

hevaga
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 223
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 Right 5/8 Up
Speed: 17 MPH Camera
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Conspiracy
Medium Oil Ball: Squatch
Light Oil Ball: Thrill
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: USBC New Ball Specs

Post by hevaga »

Thank you very much for your soon response (elgavachon).
A few months ago I finished a study of the market that I attend. Among other results, information tells me that the average time in which my clients buy a new ball is 22 months. Of course that goes from the player who buys their preferred brand new ball, to the one who buys a ball every 5 years.
If we already know that the specifications have changed, why wait until 01/01/20? This surely will bring problems with customers. We will make them incur into expenses that could have been avoided, and in addition, when we plug the balance hole in 2020, they will have a different ball reaction, which will surely make us to plug completely the ball and make a new layout... and, more expenses for the customer.
In my opinion, both specifications must coexist from now on. And the strategy would be to define along with the client which one he prefers, explaining to him the consequences of one and another.
Balls with balance hole may not exceed the current specification static weights and balls without balance hole may be within the new specification.
After all, what will change in the laws of Physics in 20 months?
I take this opportunity to thank all those who make this, the best bowling forum of the world.
soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by soupy1957 »

The best part about all this; the saving grace; is that you don’t have to do ANYTHING to change your ball(s), if all you do is recreational bowling!! No Alley is going to turn you away because your ball(s) doesn’t meet competition standards!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
Dax
THS Average: 230

Post by Dax »

On this and many other fora/discussions - everyone was screaming

USBC do SOMETHING!

The game is getting out of hand.

Now that they have done something (remains to be seen what overall effect it would have)

the overwhelming response is negative!

To say, I am flummoxed is an understatement.
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dax

Post by Dax »

I know that I am late to the discussion (blame it on only 24 hours in a day)

but my "layman's" opinion is the more knowledgeable and nuanced bowlers have made most out of the placement of balance holes.

The first step in 'taming' this was to take away the extra hole from two handers.
Belmo did strange things with the ball with a thumb hole and weight hole.

Now it is on to one handers.

i think good bowlers would still be good bowlers but the optimization of the balance hole was done by the most informed and high level bowlers

Personally, none of my balls have a weight hold as every now and then I like to take out the thumb and fool around two handed - so I keep them that way to be legal

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Dax wrote:I like to take out the thumb and fool around two handed - so I keep them that way to be legal
Soon, that will not be legal as the new rules state that each gripping hole must be used on each delivery.
It would be a balance hole otherwise.
flibblesh

Post by flibblesh »

Dax wrote: The first step in 'taming' this was to take away the extra hole from two handers.
Belmo did strange things with the ball with a thumb hole and weight hole.
No he didn't, he's been on the record stating that he doesn't use weight holes, and has a faux thumb hole in the same spot on all of his balls (Obviously he won't any more)

https://www.11thframe.com/news/article/8489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belmonte said he uses no funky drillings.

“I use my own idea already — a standard hole in the exact same location always,” he said. “Because it's the fairest way to do it. I’ve been doing this for 5 years. Any ball a rep gives me with an odd thumb hole location I do not use.”
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
Dax

Post by Dax »

MegaMav wrote:
Soon, that will not be legal as the new rules state that each gripping hole must be used on each delivery.
It would be a balance hole otherwise.
I am aware.

Now I have get two plastic balls for my son for 10 pin (he is a two handed) - as sometimes he shoots it two handed and sometimes one handed - if the lanes are scorched or the ball return is far up.

;(

Dax

Post by Dax »

flibblesh wrote:
No he didn't, he's been on the record stating that he doesn't use weight holes, and has a faux thumb hole in the same spot on all of his balls (Obviously he won't any more)

https://www.11thframe.com/news/article/8489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belmonte said he uses no funky drillings.

“I use my own idea already — a standard hole in the exact same location always,” he said. “Because it's the fairest way to do it. I’ve been doing this for 5 years. Any ball a rep gives me with an odd thumb hole location I do not use.”
Thanks for the info.

I guess the combinations of a faux thumb and a weight hole was "limitless' - so that one is gone.

and now the balance hole for all players.

This might take away some of the mumbo jumbo from some pro shops as it is getting simpler

Dax

Post by Dax »

flibblesh wrote: PAP: Smear

Just saw that!

Funny! :D :D :D

I wonder if Dr Georgios Nikolaou Papanikolaou would find that as a 'smear' on his name ;)

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

I don’t think we need to dumb down bowling so non nerds can understand it, I and others here are more than willing to teach, for free, all the “mumbo jumbo” pro shops talk when explaining spherical geometric coordinates and the physics of ball motion... now, do people want to learn or are they just comfortable with others thinking and making decisions for them? That is the question...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Dax

Post by Dax »

TonyPR wrote:I don’t think we need to dumb down bowling so non nerds can understand it, I and others here are more than willing to teach, for free, all the “mumbo jumbo” pro shops talk when explaining spherical geometric coordinates and the physics of ball motion... now, do people want to learn or are they just comfortable with others thinking and making decisions for them? That is the question...
Jargon is the essential ingredient for for the mystical magician to convey his/her misinformation making it out of reach for others

a car salesman, a real estate agent or a pro shop operator....

Thanks for the offer to help.

i am here to learn.

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Yea, I agree the words can sound to technical at the beginning, that’s what brought me to BowlingChat and learn I did so you came to the right place. We have a glossary in the wiki or please ask any questions you have even if you think they are too basic, the worst question is the one that isn’t asked.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Nord
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Post by Nord »

TonyPR wrote:Yea, I agree the words can sound to technical at the beginning, that’s what brought me to BowlingChat and learn I did so you came to the right place. We have a glossary in the wiki or please ask any questions you have even if you think they are too basic, the worst question is the one that isn’t asked.
I am learning the jargon and that is fine, but, when TV announcers (just a bowler they put a mic in front of) use it during matches, it alienates non-bowlers and prevents new bowlers from understanding what is happening in a match.
When I hear things like: "She got soft on her release because the ball wiggled in the back on the tight lane" I just cringe.
Billy Welu would never have said anything like that.
He made bowling entertaining and fun and explained very clearly what was happening on the lanes so everyone could enjoy it.
Remember the "Billy Board?"
I really miss Rob Stone too, he and Randy made bowling so much fun to watch.
"Hambone!"
Thank you Rob.
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 145
Ball speed: 13 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 269 bowled with Pitch Black.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

If 3oz static weight has been deemed to be more or less neutral to ball motion (or, at the very least, less significant than a balance hole), why not change that rule immediately? This would mitigate the need for balance holes in asymms with offset CG and certain layouts.

ie: If I sell an offset asymm tomorrow, it would be nice if did not have to drill a superfluous balance hole that will subsequently have to be filled.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

snick wrote:If 3oz static weight has been deemed to be more or less neutral to ball motion (or, at the very least, less significant than a balance hole), why not change that rule immediately? This would mitigate the need for balance holes in asymms with offset CG and certain layouts.

ie: If I sell an offset asymm tomorrow, it would be nice if did not have to drill a superfluous balance hole that will subsequently have to be filled.
Nationals. I don't think it would be wise to change a rule once a major tournament started.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

snick wrote:If I sell an offset asymm tomorrow, it would be nice if did not have to drill a superfluous balance hole that will subsequently have to be filled.

CATCH 22
pocket710guy
THS Average: 203
Speed: 14-16
Heavy Oil Ball: Results solid
Medium Oil Ball: Ludicrous solid& pearl and Zing hybrid
Light Oil Ball: Ridiculous pearl

Post by pocket710guy »

MegaMav wrote:
I thought testing was voluntary for this new test, I guess not.

I think the high end balls we see now are about as big as they're going to get for a while, unless they can find a way to generate more friction without the oil absorption. I'd bet thats already in the works. I wonder if we'll see epoxy balls again in the future.
When i saw the new rules I basically said to my bowling buddies " Do they want us to go back to using just plastic and urethane because of the pattern integrity or are proprietors complaining because of the cost of lane conditioner? " My driller says we have to plug all our balls by 2020 but the USBC says all balls will be grandfathered? Who's right?

Formerly Qman.
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

I can't the lemmings here that are just going along with this BS!
Did we forget this...........

[youtube][/youtube]
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

pocket710guy wrote: My driller says we have to plug all our balls by 2020 but the USBC says all balls will be grandfathered? Who's right?

Formerly Qman.
All the current balls are grandfathered in regard to oil absorption.

Weight holes have to be plugged between Janurary 1, 2020 -August 1, 2020

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the new specifications.
http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... TS-FAQ.pdf
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

imagonman wrote:Did we forget this...........
It comes down to whose research are you to believe?

Are you going to believe me or your eyes? (Gaucho Marx)

Where is the former Back Belt USBC researcher, Nikki, when we need her?

All this is, is an exercise in real politic to justify large salaries and large expense accounts.

"Life is good" says the top dog.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.