How to make roll phase (breakpoint) earlier

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Augustblade

How to make roll phase (breakpoint) earlier

Post by Augustblade »

I've been struggling to get good pin carry for a while. I noticed that most of the time my ball hit the pins at hook phase or the beginning of roll phase. Here is a video I recorded to see my rev rate.
[youtube][/youtube]

As you can see my rev rate is pretty low (between 130-150). The ball hit the pins when it's still in hook phase. I got this 13 lbs ball about two weeks before. I was using a 10 lbs before that. I'm not very strong so I can't really cup the hand to get a higher rev rate, at least not for now.

So I was thinking how to make the ball hit the pin at roll phase for max pin carry. I tried to slow down my ball speed (from 15 mph to something like 12), it does make the ball goes into roll phase before hitting the pins but the slow speed hinders pin carry.
Should I try play the inside of the lane with more axis tilt? Should I stay at a lower ball speed? Or should I play on the outside and just jam into the pocket? I don't mind shooting spares, I just hate to see the ball deflects from the pocket every time.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: How to make roll phase (breakpoint) earlier

Post by EricHartwell »

Your camera angle is not so good, the camera should have been set up on the other side of the lane. Prior to seeing you come into camera view I thought you might be bowling on the left lane. That aside.

It appears you have too much rotation causing your ball to skid too long. Lowering your rotation, staying behind the ball will get it to read the lane earlier, hook and roll sooner.
Otherwise you need much stronger layouts and More surface to get the ball to read the lane.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Augustblade

Post by Augustblade »

EricHartwell wrote:Your camera angle is not so good, the camera should have been set up on the other side of the lane. Prior to seeing you come into camera view I thought you might be bowling on the left lane.
Ya I recorded this just to see the rev rate so I didn't set on the right angle
jazlar

Post by jazlar »

Try to focus on rolling the ball. It seems more like you are throwing it. And as was said above, this is causing too much rotation. Even if you can't stay under/cup the ball (I also have issues with this at times), being able to come from the back and roll the ball makes a huge difference. Make sure your fit is good as well. Getting out of the thumb clean is a big factor.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Try surface adjustments. Start with 1000 grit and work down until you get the reaction you want. -- JohnP
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

Pitch in the thumb plays a big factor as well. I used to have reverse pitch in my thumb. For about the past 8 years or so I've had forward pitch in the thumb. What this does is that it lessens the grip on the ball. This translates to a softer hand at release and a quicker thumb. A quicker thumb will mean that your fingers have more time to rotate through the ball thus increasing rev rate and therefore your roll will be earlier since the ball in theory will be starting sooner.
turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

Post by turbotwister »

is the ball urethane? to me, looks like it skids all the way to the pin deck......maybe more surface or move right to make the ball get more rotation.....
GrumpyCatFace
Preferred Company: Pyramid

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

First, I am the last person on here that should give advice.

But I looks like the ball is rolling “ineffectively”. Your PAP is almost pointed back at you! Curious to see what the coaches say, but my guess is way too much spin, and not enough roll.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Augustblade, Don Johnson discussed Axis Rotation and Tilt in his second video.
You will see the PAP migration and an explanation of where it should be for maximum pin carry.

The higher numbers of Tilt and Rotation delay the roll phase.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... er_Bowling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John