Keester-Kicking the PBA!

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

Keester-Kicking the PBA!

Post by soupy1957 »

Yesterday, after watching the USBC Finals, it struck me........

Where are all the superstars of bowling at these events?! Ever notice the number of former players in OTHER sports that now are Analysts, Commentators, etc.? What does it say about “bowling,” if the former superstars are not present, visible and participating?

It isn’t that bowling has decreased in popularity, imho. Try getting a lane on a Sunday afternoon in an Alley in “ Anytown, USA!!”

On the other hand, look at the sparse crowds at major Tournament events, as compared to the World Series of Baseball, or the Super Bowl!!

Someone in Marketing at the PBA, needs a good swift kick in the keester, to motivate a turn around to the sport of bowling, so that it’s exposure is where it USED to be, on the audio/visual market charts! Get some money flowing for financing the former Superstars (for example) of bowling, to draw the crowds!

We need the Danica Patrick’s, and Dale Earnhardt Jr’s to get outa their easy chairs and boost this thing we love. Make it worth their while, PBA!! Cheerleaders with Pom-Poms may be cute, but that’s just not enough folks!!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
SomyP

Re: Keester-Kicking the PBA!

Post by SomyP »

There are plenty of superstars at the events of days past. Some choose not to go and some do. The PBA has just signed a new contract with CBS Sports. So now at least it is back on prime time television. But you are right. We as an industry need huge names to really advertise the sport that much more. Sure a name like Mookie Betts or T.O. can draw a crowd but that's niche crowds for the fans who wonder if a baseball and football player can bowl. They both have game that can compete against the pros and maybe on their best day win a regional, but it's tough.

Bowling is not dying. It's a case of the sport is more fun to participate in than actually watch. The PBA league shows a different side of bowling. It feels more like league bowling which is what a lot of casual bowling fans can relate to. If the singles tournaments were ran more like that and it wasn't so serious maybe bowling can be fun again to watch. Imagine a crowd of 10000 people chanting for a new upstart or a seasoned veteran and they learned to block out the noise but feed on the energy of the crowd. That would make bowling exciting. Not saying we need Pete Weber reactions, but some personality and eating up the crowd would not hurt in my opinion.
soupy1957

Re: Keester-Kicking the PBA!

Post by soupy1957 »

Between Mr. troup’s Afro (which I see is making a comeback these days) And that fellow that was in the most recent competition who called himself “Mr. pants,” we have some flare out there!

Then there is the double-handed throw like some of the professionals are throwing these days. I think THAT is generating some interest, all by itself.

But again, as I said before, clearly the sport is not dying; at least with regard to the number of people that are hitting the alleys every day. I’m glad to hear that there has been a recent contractual signing with CBS. That’s great!

Recently I had the pleasure of having a fairly lengthy conversation with a fellow who works for the PPA, who is somehow connected to the equipment in bowling, and the oversight of the same. We talked extensively about the regulations on bowling balls and whether or not there ought to be a more level playing field with regard to the kinds of balls they can be used. It was a very interesting conversation!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc