Blister on inside of ring finger

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

dangwood

Blister on inside of ring finger

Post by dangwood »

Hello,

I am new to bowling with a custom ball. I used to always bowl with a house ball before with no issue.

I have a fingertip ball with inserts.

I am having a very hard time releasing the ball. Often it get stuck on release and drags me down the lane or I throw the ball 6 feet up into the air.

After I got my ball I bowled a few games with no success. At first I thought it was the thumb hole too small so I had the pro drill it a bit bigger. Then I had the pro watch me bowl a bit and I had the same issue. The only thing I learned was that if I barely put my fingertip in the ball, like barely almost not at all I can release the ball but it just drops straight down as my fingertips arent in.

Holding the ball stationary I can easily put my fingers and and pull them out. However, once all my fingers are in the ball my hand is stuck. I need to use my left hand to pull my fingers out of the ball.

If i put my fingers in the holes and let my hand go dead then the bowling ball puts pressure on my ring finger exactly where the blister is at and my thumb. I notice if i put my thumb and middle finger in normal and then barely put in my ring finger it is better.

I read that keeping your thumbnail at the back of the hole will be better as it allows the thumb to slip out it which it does. However, with all my fingers in the holes it forces my thumb to move to the front of the hole thus preventing me from releasing the ball. It sounds like the span is too large thus forcing my thumb to grip the front of the hole.

Basically, after a lot of research I can't find the solution. The holes seems big enough. My first guess is the span is too large, but I doubt it as I check youtube videos and it seems to match ok. Another idea is the angle of the holes is wrong causing my hand to get stuck when all fingers are in the holes. OR maybe the inserts are causing a problem? Should I just rip out the inserts and see if it makes a difference? If would like to be able to get the hand out of my bowl without the need of using my left hand to pull the fingers out.

The pro said I just need to relax, but I am relaxed. My hand is dead on the swing and my hand still wont come out. Like i said my hand is only stuck when all fingers are in the holes. IF i jsut put in my thumb alone it is fine.

Any advise will help. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Blister on inside of ring finger

Post by VLe »

Welcome to Bowlingchat!

You should provide a little more spec's of your current grip in order for anyone to be able to give advise to you. What are the pitches on your holes? Two things that can cause that type of problem is too long span and/or excessive forward pitch on fingers. BUT these can not be identified without more details. Lateral finger pitches may be the cause too in conjuction with forward pitch.

Usually it sound's stupid for someone else telling this to you but it may also be the case that you should need to learn how to grip and deliver the ball. Based on your explanation it also seems that you might be overthinking the issue. A lot of things that causes the ball to not feel good on the hand is in the bowling technique itself. Can you roll the ball of your hand easily when doing drills at the foul line without speed or with one step? Remember to stay relaxed and not overdoing things. I would advise you to keep your wrist straight when testing. Not cupped, not dead.

Anyway with that kind of blister on finger it is obvious that something should be done to the fit.
dangwood wrote:The only thing I learned was that if I barely put my fingertip in the ball, like barely almost not at all I can release the ball but it just drops straight down as my fingertips arent in.
You should be able to throw the ball without having fingers inside the ball without dropping it. Try to throw the ball without having the ring finger inside the ball. Just thumb and MF. Does the ball come off the hand more easier?
dangwood wrote:Holding the ball stationary I can easily put my fingers and and pull them out. However, once all my fingers are in the ball my hand is stuck. I need to use my left hand to pull my fingers out of the ball
You may not be able to take the fingers out of the ball easily if you have your thumb in. This is not an issue.
dangwood wrote: I notice if i put my thumb and middle finger in normal and then barely put in my ring finger it is better
Sounds like span issue
dangwood wrote:It sounds like the span is too large thus forcing my thumb to grip the front of the hole
Beveling the hole could be the answer. If you get your thumb out of the hole at the release, fingers will come too.

What size grips do you use. Make sure that especially for testing they are not too tight. You should be able to put your finger almost a halfway between the first and second joint of your fingers.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

If you’re young and fit since you’re new to bowling you can try not inserting your thumb and swinging the ball with two hands, learning a proper release with a thumb out two handed approach is way easier and learning the technique to bowl two handed is much easier for beginners than for people who have bowled for a long time.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

dangwood wrote:Hello,

I am new to bowling with a custom ball. I used to always bowl with a house ball before with no issue.

I have a fingertip ball with inserts.

I am having a very hard time releasing the ball. Often it get stuck on release and drags me down the lane or I throw the ball 6 feet up into the air.

After I got my ball I bowled a few games with no success. At first I thought it was the thumb hole too small so I had the pro drill it a bit bigger. Then I had the pro watch me bowl a bit and I had the same issue. The only thing I learned was that if I barely put my fingertip in the ball, like barely almost not at all I can release the ball but it just drops straight down as my fingertips arent in.

Holding the ball stationary I can easily put my fingers and and pull them out. However, once all my fingers are in the ball my hand is stuck. I need to use my left hand to pull my fingers out of the ball.

If i put my fingers in the holes and let my hand go dead then the bowling ball puts pressure on my ring finger exactly where the blister is at and my thumb. I notice if i put my thumb and middle finger in normal and then barely put in my ring finger it is better.

I read that keeping your thumbnail at the back of the hole will be better as it allows the thumb to slip out it which it does. However, with all my fingers in the holes it forces my thumb to move to the front of the hole thus preventing me from releasing the ball. It sounds like the span is too large thus forcing my thumb to grip the front of the hole.

Basically, after a lot of research I can't find the solution. The holes seems big enough. My first guess is the span is too large, but I doubt it as I check youtube videos and it seems to match ok. Another idea is the angle of the holes is wrong causing my hand to get stuck when all fingers are in the holes. OR maybe the inserts are causing a problem? Should I just rip out the inserts and see if it makes a difference? If would like to be able to get the hand out of my bowl without the need of using my left hand to pull the fingers out.

The pro said I just need to relax, but I am relaxed. My hand is dead on the swing and my hand still wont come out. Like i said my hand is only stuck when all fingers are in the holes. IF i jsut put in my thumb alone it is fine.

Any advise will help. Thanks.
Welcome! Sorry you had to come here with a problem, but let's see what we can do.

Can you give a pic with you THUMB in and your fingers crossing the finger-grips? It's not precise, and it doesn't show pitches (angles that the holes go in) but it's a good initial read. . . and it's easy. :)

(btw, if you want to bowl two-handed, awesome. If you want to bowl one-handed awesome. Honestly, don't let anyone push you one way or the other.)
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by VLe »

For the beveling process. I started using some old Mo's beveling instructions. I can not find the exact instructions anywhere but here is basically the process in reply #5:
https://www.ballreviews.com/drilling-la ... ac1c3o2470

Sorry for the link to another forum. It was the only place I could find this. I think this information or method should be included in the wiki also.

Basically it is a three stage beveling process where you first bevel the left/right edge of the hole (RH/LH). After that you will bevel the front end of the hole and finally blend the transition between these bevels. I think this is currently the best instructions for beveling process that can be found over the internet.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand