Increase Bowling Arm Strength

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

littleArnold

Increase Bowling Arm Strength

Post by littleArnold »

I just started bowling with wife and have only bowled maybe a few times in my life. I have discovered I have a very weak bowling arm. It must take a very different kind of strength that not use to. I lift weights regularly can bench 325 lbs and i weigh about 200 lbs, but when it comes to throwing that bowling ball with that bowling arm I am a total wimp lol !

I been grabbing bowling balls when my wife and I go bowling and just practice swining them up and down with my bowling arm like I am at the health club doing dumbbell laterial raises. I stand up straight and just work on the swing like I am working on my shoulders at the health club just using the shoulders and swinging the bowling ball up and down for 12 repetitions at the foul line before I throw it down the bowling lane.

I wanted to develop a really strong swing like I see some bowlers and was really putting my shoulder into it and swinging the ball as high as I could for reps at the foul line before each time I threw the ball, but unfortunately on accident last time bowled when I swung my arm back I lost my grip and the bowling ball flew 10' back to my wife who was sitting at the scores table, if she didn't duck the ball would of taken her out lol.

Manager luckily forgave me at bowling alley and understood I was a new and didn't know much about bowling.

So how do you develop that more high fast powerful arm swing, even the females I see can throw better than me I feel like such a weakling when I bowl lol. Do I just need to practice raising 16 lb bowling balls up and down like I am doing shoulder lateral raises at the health club to develop that bowling arm?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Increase Bowling Arm Strength

Post by EricHartwell »

Proper fit of the gripping holes is Most important.

Without a proper fit all your strength is going into hanging on to the ball and your swing suffers drastically.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Arnold, welcome to the forum.

To be able to swing a bowling ball with EFFORTLESS power, you must have a ball that has been custom drilled to fit your hand. The goal is MINIMUM grip pressure.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Think of trying to run in shoes that are too big or small ...

Step one, find a reputable pro-shop preferably with IBPSIA certified technicians.
Yes it makes a BIG difference. Discuss your situation and plans.
A cheap (relative) plastic ball, is the best type to start with.
Getting a few lessons is a very good idea.

There is much more to bowling than meets the eye.

As for strength, you are plenty strong enough.
The hand needs to be fairly well relaxed.

I have to run, but will revisit this later.
I'm sure you will get more replies

Tell us about your goals.

In the mean time, check out the forums wiki.
Look at the articles on Grip, Free Swing, Footwork.
There are also some very good videos.

Here are a few wiki resource for your initial perusal.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... on_Johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... p_Pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always learn how to roll the ball straight before curving or hooking a ball.
That is the proper and smart approach.

Sorry, this first reply is so brief.

In closing, if the ball don't fit, you will bowl like S**t

Cheerio
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

Proper fit and sound mechanics make a huge difference. Look up EJ Tackett. He's a small guy but generates huge power. How he does generate ball speed is foot speed. He has quick feet, and a really strong release. Now he is a professional so his game is unique to him and not one to emulate.

By having a properly fitted ball, simply let the ball fall naturally into your backswing, when it reaches the top simply let it fall on it's own from the top this will lessen the strain on your shoulder. Focus on using your legs and driving with your legs at release to develop ball speed.

Happy bowling and welcome to the forum.
littleArnold

Post by littleArnold »

EricHartwell wrote:Proper fit of the gripping holes is Most important.

Without a proper fit all your strength is going into hanging on to the ball and your swing suffers drastically.
Yeah I think that is my problem. I been grabbing random balls when my wife and I bowl and they don't fit our hands properly.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

This is another way to do it, not inserting the thumb, keep them arms loose, speed is in the legs:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent