Reducing slide

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

bself6

Reducing slide

Post by bself6 »

Hi so basically I am sliding way to much and continue to slip all the time. Basically it’s to the point where I’m only focusing on not falling rather than bowling and it’s getting really frustrating.

I’m a 2 hander and bowled with house shoes basically all my life and never really had a problem but finally wanted my own pair. I’m usually around a 220 bowler but I’m sitting at 200 right now.

So basically a few question:
1.) How can I reduce my slide?
I’ve tried the wire brush but hasn’t really helped that much. I’ve heard putting coke on the bottom and letting it dry but not sure how viable that is.

2.) Looking for shoe recommendations with minimal slide:
If this continues I’m just going to get new shoes and hope that fixes the issue so just looking but some shoes with minimal slide.

Thank you.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Reducing slide

Post by EricHartwell »

What kind of shoes do you have?

Try cleaning the heal, that is supposed to be your brake.
How to clean your heal. One method is to use sand paper.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
bself6

Post by bself6 »

I am currently using these Dexters

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But so I could just be sliding wrong my whole life because I am pretty sure I do not use my heel as a brake or at least I do not notice if I do.

I also notice when I slip, my foot slides left out from under me.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

bself6 wrote:I am currently using these Dexters

But so I could just be sliding wrong my whole life because I am pretty sure I do not use my heel as a brake or at least I do not notice if I do.

I also notice when I slip, my foot slides left out from under me.
I took a look at the link and this particular pair doesn't allow you to customize either the soles or the heels. You might want to think about purchasing a pair that allows you to do so. These shoes are more expensive that what you have now, and you'll have to buy the soles and heels (the ones not provided with the shoes at purchase), but I believe you'll be happy you did so.

Hope this helps,

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
seventen7ten
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 3.5" Right 1" Up
Axis Tilt: 36
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Alpha Crux
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Tribal & Brunswick Axis
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by seventen7ten »

Since getting the Tour Ultra 3G bowling shoes, I have been cleaning the leather soles with the solvent Naphtha. I put a little bit on a clean terry cloth rag and rub vigorously, then I dry them with another clean rag until most of the solvent and dirt is soaked up. The rest will evaporate quickly. By using a brush to restore the nap, I find I can bring the soles back to almost like-new condition. This has even restored my much older Dexter SST 5 soles (which I have trimmed to fit my new 3Gs).

For the heels: I scrape off any gunk with a wide chisel and then use some acetone on a rag to remove the rest of the dirt.

NOTE: These solvents are highly flammable, so be careful, and also use with adequate ventilation.
gunso

Post by gunso »

Buy more expensive shoes which allow you to change soles and heels on your slide foot. Pretty sure these shoes would be similiar to a number 8 sole and number 5 heel from dexter. I'd buy interchangeable and then you can figure out if it is the sole or the heel that is bothering you and adjust accordingly.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

Also, wear chemical resistant gloves. -- JohnP
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

If you like to plant buy a pair of tennis shoes and use them just for bowling. I find vans work great for this purpose and people will question why you bowl in tennis shoes instead of bowling shoes. Tell them jokingly that you needed to save money and the comfort they provide are great support for the strikes you throw.

In seriousness, a pair of dexter sst will work better than what you have. Otherwise there are 3g tour ultras which many love. Brunswick's TPU shoes are great as well. It's a matter of how much you're willing to spend and the comfort you need. If you have flat wide feet I recommend the dexter sst 6 in a wide width. Take out the insoles and put in some custom insoles.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

I picked up a pair of the new Team Brunswick shoes, awesome because they come with 5 slides and 4 heels if you want to factor in different heels and soles into the mix for the other brands. If you try them they run a whole size big to me. Normally wear size 10 in Nikes and had to go with a 9 in these.

Stacy