Lack of educated coaches

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Lack of educated coaches

Post by kajmk »

I've withheld the name and location, but this is a true story.
Your comments always welcomed.

"Approximately, 12 years ago I sent out an email to 40+ high school coaches in the "withheld area" Explaining the idea of forming a local high school coaches association. The purpose was for the group to share knowledge, provide education programs for coaches, with the end goal being to help grow and strengthen the sport at the high school level and provide education/tools for those students to succeed at the collegiate level.

Short story 4 coaches showed up for the meeting!

My take......they were already coaches (in their opinion) and whether their students improved, excelled was strictly the athletes problem.

Here in "withheld location", I find it hilarious that at High School matches.........in 4" letters across the back of the high school coaches jersey's is the word "COACH".

Lack of educated coaches is why the sport is not growing at the youth levels."

Ones ego often gets in the way of growth to the individual and all they encounter ...

I once heard a quote from John Denver, he said that in his youth, he'd sit on the beach and literally ache for someone to play for. Ever get that feeling when you see people on the lanes who could be helped but either don't realize it?
Just wondering ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Lack of educated coaches

Post by RobMautner »

Seven or eight years ago when I was teaching middle school and also serving on the local USBC Board, I contact the head of the entire school district (4th largest in the country), to volunteer our services to put on clinics for high school bowling coaches. I was told in no uncertain terms that their bowling coaches did not need any help because they were already successful tennis and basketball coaches. I guess they understood all about the oil on the basketball court!
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

RobMautner wrote:Seven or eight years ago when I was teaching middle school and also serving on the local USBC Board, I contact the head of the entire school district (4th largest in the country), to volunteer our services to put on clinics for high school bowling coaches. I was told in no uncertain terms that their bowling coaches did not need any help because they were already successful tennis and basketball coaches. I guess they understood all about the oil on the basketball court!
Ego: Check.

With "leadership" like this, it no wonder kids dont want to bowl after youth.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

RobMautner wrote:Seven or eight years ago when I was teaching middle school and also serving on the local USBC Board, I contact the head of the entire school district (4th largest in the country), to volunteer our services to put on clinics for high school bowling coaches. I was told in no uncertain terms that their bowling coaches did not need any help because they were already successful tennis and basketball coaches. I guess they understood all about the oil on the basketball court!
Chances are the coaches never recieved the offer. The head of the school district considered tennis and basketball to be more important and never relayed the message to anybody.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

Of course, but there was no way to contact the coaches directly. The school District's email set-up made sure of that!
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

elgavachon wrote:Lack of educated coaches is why the sport is not growing at the youth levels."
MegaMav wrote: Ego: Check.

With "leadership" like this, it no wonder kids dont want to bowl after youth.
Since the BPAA and the USBC can not control high school programs they, short sighted, do not want to become involved. They have blown a golden opportunity to advance the industry in the long term. IBPSIA can not do it so that leaves the PBA to develop a first rate program using existing coaches such as Mark Baker, Fred Borden, Bill Hall. If the PBA set up a "bowling professionals" division as well as the current professional bowlers division that this could be done on the cheap and EVERYBODY would benefit including the PBA.

Sad state of affairs is it not?
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

guruU2 wrote:

Since the BPAA and the USBC can not control high school programs they, short sighted, do not want to become involved. They have blown a golden opportunity to advance the industry in the long term. IBPSIA can not do it so that leaves the PBA to develop a first rate program using existing coaches such as Mark Baker, Fred Borden, Bill Hall. If the PBA set up a "bowling professionals" division as well as the current professional bowlers division that this could be done on the cheap and EVERYBODY would benefit including the PBA.

Sad state of affairs is it not?
Wasn't this how it used to be? I thought to get your card you had to attend a class. I haven't tried to get my card, but my father was big into the pro scene when I was a youth. Family and grooming standards prevented any further participation for him.