tom smallwood style

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

tom smallwood style

Post by turbotwister »

when tom smallwood bowls, he walks left and throws right on all his throws. is that so he clears his hips and gets a pendulum type arm swing? i'm sure he can play down and in also,but iv'e noticed this left to right as his go to approach.
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: tom smallwood style

Post by SomyP »

Being a short stocky guy like Tom I can relate to this myself. Yes his throw to the right is more than likely to clear his hips. But look at his approach as a whole. His feet drift left and his swing is a small figure 8. From what I see it's only when he is playing in that his follow thru is more pronounced to the right. Watch he first started on tour when he won the world championship. Tom was playing right to start.
Bowlmole

Post by Bowlmole »

I think, there is little we (i.e. the average mortals) can learn from TS’s bowling style (same for Walter Ray or Tom Daugherty). Too unique and too many moves outside the textbook.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

If memory serves me well, Tom is also inserts his thumb "half way" a "half thumber".
I've only met one that I know of. It was an instinctive thing he did, just worked for him.

Our body types and mental make up, often dictate what will work for us.

The aforementioned figure 8 swing is illustrated in one of the Don Johnson tapes that MegaMav posted to the wiki.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... er_Bowling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Norm Duke also speaks of this on his DVD.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

Post by turbotwister »

i don't think he's drifting to the right .....to me , it looks like he's walking in that direction. i have been trying this approach for a couple of weeks now and find that i have more consistent arm swing and hitting my mark 9 out of 10 times with more revolutions (also ) using this approach. i walk @5-6 boards left (from where i stand ,which isn't much) and throw the ball right. i also find that i have more speed control overall too.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

Many modern power players walk left initially, and come back to the right. The first one I ever saw do this was Robert Smith. He would walk at least ten boards left before unleashing his tremendous power back to the right.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

I look at the bowler and the ball as a System.

What happens once we move forward from our address position is a function of that System.

Looking at Tommy’s System. ( bad camera angle, sorry)
1) At address, he is standing in the area of the twelfth board. Check the position of the ball.
2) His eyes at address are looking in the vicinity of the third arrow.

I think we all agree standing on 12 looking at 15 doesn't work well.

3) His first step appears to go a board on two further left in slide B2. Again, notice the position of the ball.
4) Slide B3 the second step goes in front of previous step just as it should. The head is now aligned with the target. The brain now processes a collusion alert, the ball position at this point cannot clear the right hip during the back swing. Therefore the brain sends message to the feet……..walk left!
5) Feet comply and walk left (slide B4), now the head is left of target and room has been created for the backswing.
6) Backswing completed in B5 as the right foot repositions under the hips.
7) In B6 he completes the slide with the body positioned correctly to launch the ball towards the target he looked at during address.
8) B8 the ball rolls over the target.
9) B9 ball at the breakpoint.
10) B10 ball is high flush.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
Bruhls
Heavy Oil Ball: Dv8 Pitbull Growl / Roto Grip Mutant Cell
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Tag Cannon / RotoGrip Hustle Ink
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Post by Bruhls »

JMerrell wrote:I look at the bowler and the ball as a System.

4) Slide B3 the second step goes in front of previous step just as it should. The head is now aligned with the target. The brain now processes a collusion alert, the ball position at this point cannot clear the right hip during the back swing. Therefore the brain sends message to the feet……..walk left!
Hello Coach Jim

Thank you for this excellent analysis. Very intersting material.
I have a question, although it's slightly off topic.

Just looking at B1 - B3. What would Tom have to adjust in order to not having to drift so much to the left?

Adjust ball position in the stance?
Alter the starting position (board) to be more in line with the target?
Adjust his pushaway? If so, how?
All or none of the above?
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Bruhls wrote: Just looking at B1 - B3. What would Tom have to adjust in order to not having to drift so much to the left?

Adjust ball position in the stance?
Alter the starting position (board) to be more in line with the target?
Adjust his pushaway? If so, how?
All or none of the above?
Hypothetically, and it's a big stretch......but let's say the following conversation took place.

First scenario:

Tom: Coach Jim, I'd like to reduce the drift in my approach so I look more textbook to appease the purist out there.

Me: No way Tom, your success is a by-product of you being you...purest or not.

Second scenario:

Tom: Coach Jim, because of my drift I really struggle when trying to play straight up the gutter.

Me: Okay, As you know you rest the ball on your forearm at address. Then take the ball back outside the right shoulder during your backswing. Moving your ball position slightly outside the right shoulder at address will reduce the amount you need to walk left to make that same move to the top.

Changing this physical game would be like changing his full roller release......bad decision.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"