Shoe recommendations?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Shoe recommendations?

Post by stevespo »

My 3.5 year old Dexter SST 8s are showing some serious wear (inside) around the ankle collar. The rest of the shoe is actually in amazing shape, so I'm hoping to find a shoe repair who can fix these up so I can keep using them.

If that fails, I've taken a look at the SST 9 and the SST 8 "Pro". The SST 9 is quite pricey and comes with a new sole design. My collection of soles would be useless and I'd have to start over at $29/each. Combine that with a lot of plastic and little/no leather and no thanks.

I thought the SST 8 "Pro" might be a reasonable choice, but it's a completely different shoe than the original SST 8, and it seems much more cheaply made and runs quite narrow. I wasn't thrilled with that one either.

I realize that Dexter is probably making shoes for Storm, Hammer, Brunswick, etc - but is there something out there that would be a reasonable replacement for the original SST 8? That would allow me to use my existing soles and heels?

Thanks,

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
djp1080
THS Average: 185
Heavy Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Dark Legend, Wreck-IT
Medium Oil Ball: Hy-Road, IQ Tour 30, Reign On, Byte, Code Black
Light Oil Ball: Storm Tropical Breeze Hybrid
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Shoe recommendations?

Post by djp1080 »

Bought a pair of SST 6's and you can use your soles and heels on the slide shoe.
I like the feel of this shoe with plenty of room for my toes.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Fred Flinstone feet here and when my SST 6 die I am getting another pair, they make them in Wide so if switching soles and heel in ball side foot isn’t a must definitely consider the SST 6. Traction on push off foot is great, never felt like I needed a different sole or heel.

My team mate who’s also got caveman feet swears by his black and orange Hammer shoes, they also come in Wide and have a cushion orthopedic sole inside the shoe which many people say make them more comfortable than Dexters. Haven’t tried them so I can only say what I have heard but I’ve heard the same thing by many different people.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

I use the Brunswick TPU X and are the most comfortable bowling shoe I ever owned. Had 2 pairs of SST8 and split the sole on the right shoe twice and the Dexter were more stiff also. I'm looking at getting the new Team Brunswick shoe the next time I order.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Thanks! This is all very helpful. I do need a stiff sole, and I've added an orthotics insert to the Dexters (all my shoes, really) because I need the arch support.

I'll check out the SST 6 and Brunswick offerings. It's hard to find a pro shop that carries all the different brands and models, and ordering online is tricky when making a switch.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
Bruhls
Heavy Oil Ball: Dv8 Pitbull Growl / Roto Grip Mutant Cell
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Tag Cannon / RotoGrip Hustle Ink
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Post by Bruhls »

I use Brunswick TPU-X as well. Before that i was using SSt-8's.

They are worlds apart in terms of comfort. The SST-8 are very hard and stiff. it got better after a while, but I never really felt comfortable in those.
The TPU-X were darn comfortable right out of the box. Can't complain about stability either, but I have a pretty wide foot. (using the non wide model tho)

Been using them for 4 months now, bowling 2-3 times a week. No signs of weardown so far.
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

I've worn nothing but dexter shoes my whole bowling career since I was a kid. I've gone through so many pairs over the years. The ones that held up the longest were a pair of black and gold sst 4's that my little brother still uses to this day. A couple of pairs of sst 8's that were great when finally broken in.

I am now in sst 6's and find them to be the most comfortable shoe around. If you're like me and have flat wide feet, these are the shoes to have. Also take out the inserts that come with them and put in your own custom inserts as they make a world of difference. Since wearing these, I've barely fallen off a shot and have great stability at the line.

Your bowling game is a lot like a house. Without a solid foundation, the house will not last long. So proper shoes that work for your feet, and your game will lead to a better score.
pinchezr
THS Average: 198

Post by pinchezr »

For many years I saw that Dexter shoes break the sole from left to right at the seam.
No matter what style or shoe you take. Even with the 9 I had one pair break just after the shoes went over 1 year old. (after a lot of hassle I managed to get them covered by warranty.... :shock: )
Over the last years I sell more Brunswick TPU-X and now the new Pro performance shoes, never had any problems with them.
KR used to make the shoes for Brunswick and hHammer. The Hammer shoes are very good also.
I like the 3G shoes also.
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

I have seen 2 guys using a Pyramid shoe and they look just like the TPU-X with a different logo on them. So far they both seem very happy with them.
I think they are the HPX.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Zman06
THS Average: 222
Preferred Company: EBI

Post by Zman06 »

If you are a toe dragger I would stay away from the brunswick tpu x and the hammer shoes. You will destroy the right shoe around the toes. I had that problem. I went with the nines because of the new sole system I can just put a new rubber sole on instead of having to get a new pair of shoes.
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

Zman06 wrote:If you are a toe dragger I would stay away from the brunswick tpu x and the hammer shoes. You will destroy the right shoe around the toes. I had that problem. I went with the nines because of the new sole system I can just put a new rubber sole on instead of having to get a new pair of shoes.
Good point!
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

― Neil deGrasse Tyson
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

I got a pair of Brunswick TPU, Dexter SST 8 and Hi-Sport (Korean brand).

I love the comfort of Brunswick TPU most but to me, it halts sliding very soon. I swap soles and heels with SST 8 / Hi-Sport. Same result. Not sure if this is because of the design of the sole. Looks like it has some cushion effect which may help stopping at the foul line, I guess.

Rgds,
Adrian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*