What do you think of amateur staff players?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think "amateur staff" means?

You may select 1 option

View results

MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Its been a while since we've had a busy topic and I think this may be one where most people have an opinion.
There seems to be some strong opinions out in there in the bowling world about amateur staff and what it means.
Many people I talk to about staff positions seem to think its an end game title for themselves as a bowler. Many of them dont understand the work, professionalism and responsibility that goes into it.
To remain on staff, you definitely work for it.

I am allowing only 1 option on the poll to be selected, pick the one you feel strongest about.
Feel free to comment.
Disclaimer: Technically I am not on any staff.
This post is more for personal curiosity than anything related to any specific company or person.
Pinbuster

Re: What do you think of amateur staff players?

Post by Pinbuster »

I put in great bowler.

But a good staffer also has to be good sales person to justify what they are getting.

Technically I have a problem calling any bowler an amateur. Virtually all bowl for money and
to me that is the definition of a professional in sports.

But the fact the don't belong to the PBA seems to let them be called amateur.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

The "staffers" in my area are good bowlers but from what I can tell there are not many of them. Plenty of good bowlers but not on staff. They are always rolling the new releases until the chips are down then you see them pull out old faithfuls. Still the same brand but balls that have been in the bag for a while.

What I do get to see are actually factory reps. Motiv and Brunswick/Radical. So I have seen many of their new releases before they are even available to the public.

None of them have influenced my purchasing decisions. For me, ball color has more influence than anything a staffer says or does.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I also put in great bowler, do you know any "staffer" that is not a good bowler? 150 avg staffer?
Jmc1972

Post by Jmc1972 »

I put in Great for Sales. It all depends on the person. I’m on Staff for a very small company...Monster Bowling and my Profession is Sales and Marketing. By bringing my profession and passion together I’ve successfully helped increase ball sales. Not blowing my horn - just using it as an example as proof of it being the person. I’m not a high average bowler at 186 but I am approachable and out going. I also play several tournament a year (about 30 a year).

I’m REALLY hoping to get on with Brunswick/DV8/Radical to help increase their Sales and give back to the Sport I love. I also do a lot to support the Youth leagues and organizations - these are tomorrow’s customers. I’ve always told my Sales Staff - keep your eye on today’s Sales while keeping your fingers on the pulse of tomorrow’s sale. Always maintain a good reputation and keep your customers coming back.

My contract with Monster is ending soon and hopefully I’ll get on with a bigger company....not sure how to go about doing it...who knows...time will tell.

Great Poll!
Speed 17.5 off-hand
Rev 275
Tilt 17*
Rot 75*
PAP 4 over 1 3/8 up

Cash, More Cash, Katana x2, Fix, Quick Fix, Intel, Beyond Ridiculous, Tremendous Pearl, Guru Limited, Cyclops Pearl, True Motion & Radical Spare (Waiting to ship - Katana Slash)

Phoenix843
Preferred Company: Seismic/900 global

Post by Phoenix843 »

I chose "great for sales" as in my experience that is what I've seen. In my area we have a 900 global guy on staff, James, who is a very solid bowler but he also is very willing and available to talk about which releases he uses at specific surfaces on patterns. He is frequently around the pro shop I get my equipment from and does not work there. He also is in the center a lot practicing and happy to come over and suggest things specific to my game. He is the reason I have two global balls. I also enjoy watching Luke Rosdahls YouTube channel both for entertainment and info on storm/roto. I love my Brunswick equipment but after moving to upper Maryland don't have staffers or a shop that predominantly caries it. I know enough to make informed decisions but enjoy the input I get from the pro shop and staffers as long as they aren't over the top with staffer bias and cliche comments on releases.
56bird

Post by 56bird »

I mean, a lot of these amateur staff bowlers are the ones putting up ball review videos. I always try to remember that my mileage WILL vary but besides manufacturer stated numbers and descriptions and if I'm lucky, seeing someone roll one in person, those vids are about all we have as data to make an informed decision.