Bowling Technology Study: AN EXAMINATION AND DISCUSSION.....

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Bowling Technology Study: AN EXAMINATION AND DISCUSSION.....

Post by bowl1820 »

Bowling Technology Study: AN EXAMINATION AND DISCUSSION ON TECHNOLOGY’S IMPACT INTHE SPORT OF BOWLING

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... lStudy.pdf

Bowling Technology Study - SECTION I: A Brief Examination of Technology in Bowling
[youtube][/youtube]

Bowling Technology Study - SECTION II: A Study of RG and Differential RG
[youtube][/youtube]

Bowling Technology Study - SECTION III: The Impact of Balance Holes
[youtube][/youtube]

Bowling Technology Study - SECTION IV: Bowling Ball Oil Absorption Study
[youtube][/youtube]

Bowling Technology Study - SECTION V: League Simulation Study
[youtube][/youtube]

Bowling Ball Technology Study - SECTIONS VI-IX: Polls, Surveys, Focus Groups and Summary Conclusion
[youtube][/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Bahshay

Re: Bowling Technology Study: AN EXAMINATION AND DISCUSSION.

Post by Bahshay »

We know large changes to ball specs are coming. Just based on the conclusions they drew in these studies, I’d guess we’re going to see:

1- Oil absorption measurement standardized and reined in to a level we see on most mid performance balls today
2- Max differential lowered
3- Max Balance hole diameter reduces

I’m a fan of controlling the lane with low diff balls, so these don’t have much of an affect on me. However, I think those rules would be a mistake for exactly that reason. As a high rev player, these changes aren’t going to affect my ability to shoot high scores at all (in fact, if I have to move less, you could argue my scores should even go up). However, Low rev players that need the cover and core help will lose it. Advantage to me.

Ultimately, they probably will see a reduction in 300s, since the average league bowler falls under the low rev category. The score gap definitely expands, though. It just seems backwards: high rev rate guys are tearing up the lane and scoring at incredible rates, so we will punish the low rev guys. That’ll show em!
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

Max diff is purportedly being reduced to .045
Mo did an interview on above180 about this recently.
http://above180.com/2017/12/mo-pinel-on ... c-changes/
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Bahshay wrote: 1- Oil absorption measurement standardized and reined in to a level we see on most mid performance balls today
2- Max differential lowered
3- Max Balance hole diameter reduces
I agree with you.

Long term:

I would like to see oil absorption pulled back to before "The One" was introduced, sucking oil off the lane.
If not that, then pre-nano "super cover" days. Unlikely, but im dreaming here.

Max total diff I'd like to see around .040, you can get enough with a medium cover, medium-low diff core.
Limit INT DIFF to .015
I definitely want to see no limit on depth of balance holes and limit diameter around 3/4".

We take away balance holes and we are taking away the ability to satisfy customers in the pro shop.
Its one of the few opportunities to get it right for the customer.

The low rev guy comment, I dont agree with that. A lot of it is matching speed with revs and being versatile.
Being a high rev, rev dominant guy, like most things is life has its advantages and drawbacks.

Big picture. USBC still needs to regulate lane conditions. That is the scoring pace.
It was glaring to me, only house shots were used in that simulated league exercise.

USBC knows, like everyone thats bowled on a non-house shot, that is the equalizer.
USBC doesnt want to do anything about it.
I've been running a challenge league for about 20 weeks now, and the average high score is around 910 for 4. +110.
Its not hard, but the USBC doesnt want to manage it, BPAA is in the same building.
I still think harder league conditions (6:1ish) will only improve bowling and the quality of bowlers.
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

MegaMav wrote:

The low rev guy comment, I dont agree with that. A lot of it is matching speed with revs and being versatile.
Being a high rev, rev dominant guy, like most things is life has its advantages and drawbacks.
In a competitive environment, I absolutely agree with you. But, like you, I don’t consider weekly house shot leagues to be a competitive environment. Versatility is hardly a key skill for once-a-week bowlers that bowl the same league week after week, year after year.

My theory is that the vast majority don’t care that 300s are being thrown - their complaints that scores are too high are really complaints that they don’t think they can keep up and compete with the high scores. It’s the same indirect reason everyone hates two handlers. I think the big failure of this study is that they stopped before the surveying got as deep into the weeds as it needed to. Yes, everyone agrees scores are high, but what’s the actual problem? The solution to “too many 300s jeopardizes integrity” and “strokers are struggling to keep up with crankers” are not necessarily the same. I’d put a lot of money on the guess that more people left the game because they feel they can’t compete than because 180 average bowlers were shooting 300.

The 180-210 average suitcase bowlers, the majority, will struggle more to shoot honor scores without the help from equipment. The 220-230 guys will continue to shoot them at will, especially the higher rev guys that don’t need help from equipment. Many competitive strokers will be able to adjust, but even then, equipment limits certainly will have some affect on their ability to carry as they move in.

Long story short, my stance boils down to: if you want to reduce 300s, limiting equipment will check that box to some extent. If you want to make bowling more competitive for all, fix the lane patterns.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Post by jdrsuper »

First let me say, that my statements are just my own opinions from a once or twice a week non league bowler who at 77 years old bowls only ABT tournaments on weekends.I enjoy the sport shots that we bowl on. I don't want to offend anybody with what I say and everybody is entitled to their opinions about the modern game of bowling.

To me the study was a waste of time and money and nothing is really going change, because anything that causes the league bowler to have his or her average reduced will cause more bowlers to quit. Owners of bowling alleys care only about doing what is best for their business not the sport of bowling.

Now if we are talking competitive bowling my suggestions are that we get rid of all reactive resin balls. The study showed that urethane balls do not absorb oil, so for me I would limit coverstocks to polyester and urethane. I would also standardize cores so they would be the same in all balls. I would prefer just the ordinary three piece weight block. Now taking about oil and patterns, I wouldn't have any patterns
but a flat one to one with different volumes of oil along with different lengths.

I know that what I just said will never happen and probably isn't realistic. Bowling ball manufacturers would revolt. However the advantage the high speed high rev bowler has today would go away. Accuracy and spare shooting would be more important in league bowling if they adopted my suggestions and Right handers would no longer have to play the gutter cap. I can't comment on the state of bowling in the united states but here in my area of northern ca, basically the bay area, the number of houses has diminished significantly since the 90's and league participation in my estimation is down but recreational bowling along with birthday parties seem to be doing just fine.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

USBC doesn’t have the resources (nor the balls “pun intended”) to regulate bowling centers therefore they go for regulating equipment that working bowlers work 9-5 to pay for.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

Yep, they are deflecting the responsibility for legitimizing the sport onto the manufacturers.
BTW, bowling centers can simply change the oil pattern one day after the annual inspection to offset the new equipment specs.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º