Board index » General Forums » General Bowling




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Recognizing Lane Distance
 Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:36 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: September 27, 2017
Posts: 55
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Good Morning Everyone,

I’ve been curious about this for quite some time now and have searched online for answer unsuccessfully.

What are some ways you have successfully learned how to recognize distances of oil patterns on a lane when a lane does not have range finders? I’ve tried using Arrows as a base and doubling them for 32’, using the reflection of the pins for approximately 40’ (don’t know if that’s correct).

I’d love to hear how you do it and if you have an accurate way I will definately start using it!

Thanks!

_________________
Speed 17.5 off-hand
Rev 275
Tilt 17*
Rot 75*
PAP 4 over 1 3/8 up

Cash, More Cash, Katana x2, Fix, Quick Fix, Intel, Beyond Ridiculous, Tremendous Pearl, Guru Limited, Cyclops Pearl, True Motion & Radical Spare (Waiting to ship - Katana Slash)



Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Recognizing Lane Distance
 Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 9, 2012
Posts: 1341
Location: Central Florida
Reputation: 462
Reputation Power: 5
Jmc1972 wrote:
Good Morning Everyone,

I’ve been curious about this for quite some time now and have searched online for answer unsuccessfully.

What are some ways you have successfully learned how to recognize distances of oil patterns on a lane when a lane does not have range finders? I’ve tried using Arrows as a base and doubling them for 32’, using the reflection of the pins for approximately 40’ (don’t know if that’s correct).

I’d love to hear how you do it and if you have an accurate way I will definately start using it!

Thanks!


The lane is 60' long, So three quarters of the lane would be 45', half the lane would be 30' and the arrows are at 15' (typically the tip of the second arrow).

If the lanes have breakpoint markers, the outside markers on 10 start at 40' and are 3' long so end at 43', the inside markers start at 34' and are 3' long so end at 37'.

If there are no breakpoint markers, Then you estimate distance by using your eyesight.

You can count the first four (4) gutter caps they are each ten feet (10') long, (The last two covers can be different sizes.)

Example: a 32' pattern would be 3 gutter caps plus two (2) feet.

The pin deck light reflection could be used, the reflection is around thirty-five to forty-two feet (35' to 42'). But that's dependent on where you stand and how tall you are.

_________________
Click my green + rep button if this helps!
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Recognizing Lane Distance
 Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:21 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: September 27, 2017
Posts: 55
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
bowl1820 wrote:

The lane is 60' long, So three quarters of the lane would be 45', half the lane would be 30' and the arrows are at 15' (typically the tip of the second arrow).

If the lanes have breakpoint markers, the outside markers on 10 start at 40' and are 3' long so end at 43', the inside markers start at 34' and are 3' long so end at 37'.

If there are no breakpoint markers, Then you estimate distance by using your eyesight.

You can count the first four (4) gutter caps they are each ten feet (10') long, (The last two covers can be different sizes.)

Example: a 32' pattern would be 3 gutter caps plus two (2) feet.

The pin deck light reflection could be used, the reflection is around thirty-five to forty-two feet (35' to 42'). But that's dependent on where you stand and how tall you are.


I hadn’t ever thought about the gutter caps!

I stand on the front dots and am 5’ 9”

Thanks for the tips!

_________________
Speed 17.5 off-hand
Rev 275
Tilt 17*
Rot 75*
PAP 4 over 1 3/8 up

Cash, More Cash, Katana x2, Fix, Quick Fix, Intel, Beyond Ridiculous, Tremendous Pearl, Guru Limited, Cyclops Pearl, True Motion & Radical Spare (Waiting to ship - Katana Slash)



Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Recognizing Lane Distance
 Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:49 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 3282
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 288
Reputation Power: 3
I count the oil rings on my ball. While this doesn't give me the footage it does tell me if the ball I have in my hands is going to work or not.
6 or less lines of oil tells me that I need my weaker set-ups for shorter oil.
Between 6-9 lines of oil tells me I am in a med length environment.
More than 9 lines and I am in a long oil environment and will need my strongest balls.

Another indication that I use with the oil lines on my ball is to tell me the amount of oil. I use my Tremendous with its dull thirsty surface for this. If it comes back and the oil lines are already absorbed into the ball I know it is a lighter oil pattern. On heavier patterns it will still have all the lines visible on the ball.

Then during competition I use the lack of oil lines on my ball to let me know when my line is drying up.

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Recognizing Lane Distance
 Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:13 pm Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: September 27, 2017
Posts: 55
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
EricHartwell wrote:
I count the oil rings on my ball. While this doesn't give me the footage it does tell me if the ball I have in my hands is going to work or not.
6 or less lines of oil tells me that I need my weaker set-ups for shorter oil.
Between 6-9 lines of oil tells me I am in a med length environment.
More than 9 lines and I am in a long oil environment and will need my strongest balls.

Another indication that I use with the oil lines on my ball is to tell me the amount of oil. I use my Tremendous with its dull thirsty surface for this. If it comes back and the oil lines are already absorbed into the ball I know it is a lighter oil pattern. On heavier patterns it will still have all the lines visible on the ball.

Then during competition I use the lack of oil lines on my ball to let me know when my line is drying up.

_________________
Speed 17.5 off-hand
Rev 275
Tilt 17*
Rot 75*
PAP 4 over 1 3/8 up

Cash, More Cash, Katana x2, Fix, Quick Fix, Intel, Beyond Ridiculous, Tremendous Pearl, Guru Limited, Cyclops Pearl, True Motion & Radical Spare (Waiting to ship - Katana Slash)



Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » General Forums » General Bowling


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: