constant 7 10 leave

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

constant 7 10 leave

Post by ballspoint »

Our centre on lane 4 is often leaving the 7 10, about 5 times in the last 2 weeks.
Is there a issue here? pins off their spot?
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: constant 7 10 leave

Post by EricHartwell »

ballspoint wrote:Our centre on lane 4 is often leaving the 7 10, about 5 times in the last 2 weeks.
Is there a issue here? pins off their spot?
Are you playing the same line on lane #3?

I would tend to believe there is a topography issue causing the ball to enter the pocket late.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

Its happening to many bowlers, so different lines, angles, balls, speeds.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

Most probably topography: part of the lane on one side is most likely tilted away from the headpin causing the ball the fall away from the pocket. My guess is that lefties on the same pair rarely have the same problem.
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

RobMautner wrote:Most probably topography: part of the lane on one side is most likely tilted away from the headpin causing the ball the fall away from the pocket. My guess is that lefties on the same pair rarely have the same problem.
you are likely correct on it being topography, but not how you think, imho. More probable, the case would be that the lane tilts downhill, as the ball approaches the pocket, and speeding up, missing the sweet spot.

The ball rolling uphill, would slow the ball slightly, helping most bowlers.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

georgeh wrote:you are likely correct on it being topography, but not how you think, imho. More probable, the case would be that the lane tilts downhill, as the ball approaches the pocket, and speeding up, missing the sweet spot.

The ball rolling uphill, would slow the ball slightly, helping most bowlers.
If you look at Kegel lane maps, you'll see that the great majority of topographic features are areas that slant either toward the pocket or away from it. BTW, what's "the sweet spot"?
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

RobMautner wrote:
If you look at Kegel lane maps, you'll see that the great majority of topographic features are areas that slant either toward the pocket or away from it. BTW, what's "the sweet spot"?
I've seen Kegel's website and aware of the mapping. I also read an article about the changes of lane topography and how it affected some of the best bowlers at Kegel.

I'm also aware that many lanes that required resurfacing prior to synthetics, had lanes dished (Langlo) toward the pocket to help league bowlers before reactives. I also have watched several installations of synthetics over the dished lanes and the dished centered wasn't completely planed leveled before the lane beds were installed. I can assume that knowing wood reacts to moisture that any lane installation that begins not perfectly level will be prone to inconsistencies. I believe in that article there was mention of uphill vs downhill reaction relating to speed.

sweet spot; the inexact science in finding the pocket area that most anything carries