slumps......

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

slumps......

Post by turbotwister »

how many of you experience a slump and how long does it last with you? i have had slumps that might last me a couple days and then seems to go away. bowling in florida, we have different conditions day in and day out , so some days you might say it's the weather that controls your game that particular day(or even week). the longest iv'e gone without scoring well ( for no reason) is about 3 weeks and then all of a sudden, my game is back on point!
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: slumps......

Post by krava »

You might need to be more specific. Slump in one league or in all leagues and bowling in general? I have had a slump the entire year on Thursday not 1 good day yet. Last Thurs 525 if that. Today 683 or so with back to back 240+ last 2 games and that is with practicing footwork at the same time bowling in league and missing a easy 9 pin 2nd game.

When I find myself in a short slump, I have to figure out what is going on, why am I in this. Then you can't forget who you are and what you are capable of. Then you have to say this is all BS and then welcome the challenge. If your trying to figure something out don't forget that the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result so maybe change things up, that is what I am going to do tomorrow.

Good luck with your slump if you have one
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Off the top of my head and not intended to be encyclopedic or instruction per se.

Just my opinion, the serious bowler, bent on improvement and avoidance of slumps ...

Best practices might be:
Establish a good relationship with a coach, instructor, pro shop guru (this could all be wrapped in one person) ask around, research.
If you watch, the best bowler's, specifically the ones who's success is based on form and consistent performance (many times a female), ask them for referrals if they know any.
Why female, because most females do not rely on muscle, and that style will last you a longer time than muscle.
If you see that poster worthy performer, that form is not accidental, or based on instinct and nature.

Create a video log of you.
Annotate it, for example, the good, the bad, the ugly, the work in progress.
Think about that.
Things going bad, look at yourself now and compare it to you at your best of average.
If I'm coaching ANY sport, I'm looking at the athletes video archive. ANY sport.
Note your conception of feel, intent, observations. Work with a buddy, be each other's aid.
What they saw versus what you saw.
Stating your intent prior to the shot so it can be heard on the video, can do several things, all of them good, it can be a good part of a pre shot routine

On form, the sporting world is replete with those who deviate from picture perfect form.
Those succeed because they've won the genetic lottery and are exception to some degree.
There are not that many of those, if you were, you'd probably know it by now and be earning big bucks versus the big boys and girls.

One more thing, the scores are relative to the environment and difficulty of the condition.
When ready, challenge yourself.

Accuracy and consistency ...

Joe Ciccone and Lou Marquez
Joe doing a drill with cones ...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheerio.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

Slumps come and go. Personally it all depends for me. Overall health wise I'm healthy this year. Part of that is due to being a part timer and part of it is taking better care of myself. Overall with my better health and limited bowling, I rarely get into a slump. Sure a week or two, but I'm back in it and shoot no lower than 650 maybe 620 set on a bad night.

What's worked for me other than limited time bowling, is simply building muscle memory off the lanes. My body forgets the bad habits and I mimic the good ones without a ball in my hand. I'm naturally strong and it seems that my body remembers the good motions once I put a ball back in my hand.

I'm a firm believer in taking time off when necessary. With not much time left in the season I don't know how much more bowling I'll be doing. Don't have a ship date yet, but I've decided to enlist in the US Army. Once everything is all in order, I'll be in a slump, just not a bowling one haha.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Don't have a ship date yet, but I've decided to enlist in the US Army. Once everything is all in order, I'll be in a slump, just not a bowling one haha.
Best of luck and success in this very important step in your life.
A step you've chosen of your own volition.
What specialty "M.O.S" are you pursuing?

Kudos to you and the previous few!!!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

Sorry for the late response kaj. Been busy with work and working out among other things. I am looking at becoming a paralegal in the army as law has always interested me. Otherwise something in communications would be great as well so I can try transferring that into a marketing job when my contract is up and I return to civilian life. Or if I like it and can see a career out of it, I might go the full 20 and retire to get full pension.