USBC Possibly Going After Ball Specification Limits

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

USBC Possibly Going After Ball Specification Limits

Post by Mongo »

Jeff Richgels at 11thframe.com is reporting that the USBC could be moving forward on their ball specification changes that have been discussed for some time.

These include
- Differential limit of 0.54
- Static weight allowance of up to 3 ounces, but eliminates weight holes
- A vaguely described limit on coverstock oil absorption

According to Jeff, this could be announced sooner rather than later....possibly before the convention.

Personally, other than the static weight allowance being bumped, I feel this does nothing but hurt ball manufacturers and pro shops. You can do whatever you want to to the balls, but, at the end of the day, it's the lane conditions.

Would love to hear Mo's thoughts on this....or anybody else's.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: USBC Possibly Going After Ball Specification Limits

Post by MegaMav »

You're right.
This limp wristed attempt at credibility is an indictment of the state of the USBC.
All facade, no substance.

The problem is, Arlington isnt willing to give up power to local associations to enforce lane conditions and lane specs.
On the record: I have visually seen many instances of lane surface warping that would not pass inspection, but year after year they somehow do. I wonder why. BPAA is in the same building.

This game as become a farce and each and every member that pays sanctioning is kicking this rusty can down the road. I cant wait for the USBC to fold, at least we'll have a chance of getting a grassroots organization with some onions to restore credibility. Until then bowlers will be frustrated with what they're bowling on (lanes & conditioner), and will slowly withdraw.

I have not paid sanctioning this year and run a non-sanctioned challenge league.
USBC will not see my money until they grow a set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

Bumping the static weight to 3 oz. is the only semblance of common sense I can see in the whole thing

Have you read Riggs' article on Murphy and the USBC? It's pretty damning.

Local associations are fed up with new requirements and fees.

If anybody shows up, this years convention could be interesting.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

Bill Sempsrott wrote an article in BTM recently examining the proposed changes, and opening up the static imbalance limitations can allow for more performance than what weight holes can currently provide. He concluded that seems a step in the wrong direction if they want to limit ball performance.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by Daryl »

MegaMav wrote:You're right.
This limp wristed attempt at credibility is an indictment of the state of the USBC.
All facade, no substance.

The problem is, Arlington isnt willing to give up power to local associations to enforce lane conditions and lane specs.
On the record: I have visually seen many instances of lane surface warping that would not pass inspection, but year after year they somehow do. I wonder why. BPAA is in the same building.

This game as become a farce and each and every member that pays sanctioning is kicking this rusty can down the road. I cant wait for the USBC to fold, at least we'll have a chance of getting a grassroots organization with some onions to restore credibility. Until then bowlers will be frustrated with what they're bowling on (lanes & conditioner), and will slowly withdraw.

I have not paid sanctioning this year and run a non-sanctioned challenge league.
USBC will not see my money until they grow a set.
I agree. The USBC has not seen my money for three years now. If I bowl league it will be non-sanctioned as well. For now I just bowl non league open bowling with friends. I will not feed the monster anymore.
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
purduepaul
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over by 5/8" up
Speed: 19
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling

Post by purduepaul »

deanchamp wrote:Bill Sempsrott wrote an article in BTM recently examining the proposed changes, and opening up the static imbalance limitations can allow for more performance than what weight holes can currently provide. He concluded that seems a step in the wrong direction if they want to limit ball performance.
That would be incorrect, the static weight loosening will change the potential influence of static weights from less than one percent to about two percent, not as big of a change as taking a 0.049” total differential ball and drilled with double thumb hole to 0.070”.
Paul Ridenour
former Sr Research Engineer at USBC
Radical Bowling Technologies Staffer
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

purduepaul wrote:
That would be incorrect, the static weight loosening will change the potential influence of static weights from less than one percent to about two percent, not as big of a change as taking a 0.049” total differential ball and drilled with double thumb hole to 0.070”.
Have you read the article Paul? He makes a pretty convincing case that once you go above 0.050" of differential, the impact on hook is negligible.
James Talley