Newbie with new ball issues

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Motobowler
Preferred Company: Hammer

Newbie with new ball issues

Post by Motobowler »

Hey folks, I used to bowl back in my Navy Days and bought a nice Purple Hammer in 1993 and loved it. I stopped bowling in leagues around 2002. The wife and I joined a league 2 months ago and I broke out the ole Purple Hammer and had some really good games, (one was a 263). My average after 2 weeks (6 games) was 182 but I kind of felt that was a little high for me and it was.

2 weeks later I bowled a really bad 139, 144, and 148 and I could not get much hook on the Purple Hammer and my average dropped to 172 so I went and bought a brand new DV8 Vandal strike and wow it hooks big time, especially at the end but I am very disappointed in the ball because it seems when I do find my mark and hit the pocket it strikes much less than the Hammer does. Leaves a lot of 10 pins or seven pins?

Had another real bad night last wednesday so I went to the lanes early sat. morning and bowled 2 games with the DV8 to try and dial it in, Bowled a 171 1st game and only had 2 strikes, bowled a 153 2nd game again 2 strikes so the 3rd game I played the 1st 5 frames with the DV8, hit the pocket 4 times and got 1 strike. I then switched to the hammer and hit the pocket 6 times and got 5 strikes?

I am not really up on all the lingo and lane conditions but does the actual ball make for more pin action? They both weigh 15 lbs but hitting the pocket with my new (expensive) DV8 and leaving the 10 pin is sooooooo disappointing. Note I did have the thumb hole moved a little closer to the finger holes on my Hammer at the same time I bought the DV8. The guy who sold and drilled my new ball noticed my hand was stretched out too far (old theory he said they used to drill em that way in the 90's) I could only get about halfway down towards the 1st creases on each finger and it hurt. Feels much better now but I am starting to think I should have stuck with urethane and maybe went with a black widow instead of the reactive Dv8?
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: Newbie with new ball issues

Post by snick »

It is important to understand that the "Pocket" is a path through the pins and off the back of the pin deck. If the ball hits the 1-3-5-8-9, you will have the highest pin carry possible. All other pin combinations, even strong combos like the 1-3-5-9 will have a higher potential for leaving pins standing.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
Motobowler
Preferred Company: Hammer

Re: Newbie with new ball issues

Post by Motobowler »

Hmm yeah that makes sense, I always just assumed between the 1 and the 3 equally was the pocket but dont look past that much. I think with the amount of hook on the DV8 that maybe I am hitting the 1, 3, 5, and 8 and probably missing the 9? Hmmm. Not used to adjusting much whenthe ball is hitting between the 1, 3. Maybe I will look into seeing if someone around here gives lessons.