Picking up Different Splits

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Picking up Different Splits

Post by krava »

I have looked on youtube and I don't think I have seen anything alteast remotely lately talking about this subject that EVERYONE has to face. If there is a thread point me in that direction please. I already tried to do a search for it. I am going to post what I know and whatever I am wrong about please help me out. This should be pretty informative like when I first started positing. (posting this to see if my thinking is correct or I should think about it a different way. Missing way too many splits).

This is for a right hander perspective.

7-6, 4-7 6-10, 4-7 6 I believe it can be picked up if you throw a ball cross angled 3-4th arrow etc and the ball makes a slight hook at the end hitting the inside of the 6 toward the other 2 pins. I don't think that a straight ball thrown cross angled would be able to do it. A straight ball thrown at a straighter angle (1st or 2nd arrow) hitting the 7 and barely tapping the 6 from the inside would work as well. Also for a 4-7 6 throwing a straighter shot barely hitting the 4 works " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I haven't ever made any one of those ever that I can remember)

8-10 To pick this up I would start left of the 8 pin by a tad and throw it straight and barely tap the inside left of the 8. It is done another way here: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but that just harder to do. A left hander would have so much more of an advantage picking that spare up. I don't see how a hook ball from a right hander would pick it up.

5-7 The easiest for me is to move 3-4 boards left hit the same exact mark as my strike ball. It also can be picked up with a straight ball shooting at it from the right side of the 5 pin. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4-10 straight ball straighter angle starting left where the 4 is and having it just go a little left of it and tap it. Ron Mohr " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I don't see how a hook ball would ever pick it up unless it hit the wall and bounced back getting lucky.

2 10 Hook ball or straight ball should be able to pick it up. The hook can't be huge because you have to tap the inside left of the 2 pin. I would start left of the 2 pin and throw the ball at a slant to the right to hit the 2 on the left side to the 10 with a straight ball.

7-10 straight ball or hook ball, try to hit the furthest most inside right part of the 7 or left back part of the 10 to try to bounce it in the wall and then back out. Never made that either. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (55 sec mark is a good one. hit the inside left of the 10 bouncing it out)
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Picking up Different Splits

Post by RobMautner »

I wrote an article for BTM several years ago called, "The Shadow Pin Spare System." I also posted a video on U Tube under my name: Rob Mautner.

Here's the thing to remember about picking up splits: the larger the angle is between the two or more pins left standing, the easier the split is to convert. A four-six split, for example is theoretically possible to convert, though, in reality, it is practically impossible. The reason that it is nearly impossible is that the four and the six are on the same row which means that a ball thrown straight up the boards at the left side of the four pin would have to hit a spot on less than the thickness of a piece of paper to throw the pin to the right at a 90 degree angle.

Now, think about a four nine. Again, throwing the ball straight up the boards at the left edge of the four pin will need to knock the pin not directly at the six pin, but a little more back because the six pin and the nine pin are on two different rows. The angle between the ball going straight up the boards, the four pin and the nine pin is larger than 90 degrees, therefore the spare is easier to convert.

Now, think about what happens to that angle if you try and hook the ball at the four pin rather than going straight up the boards: the angle gets smaller and the chances of conversion go down.

Next, think about converting a one-two-ten washout. If you throw a straight shot up the fifth arrow at the eight pin (the shadow pin that's not even there), your conversion percentage will be 59%. If you try and hook the ball to the left side of the headpin, your conversion percentage will drop to 30%. Before you even think about arguing the numbers with me, I got the percentages from Norm Duke... go argue with him! LOL
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Picking up Different Splits

Post by krava »

Thanks for the info and will look that article up since I still have a membership to the BTM. I have learned the hardway about the 1 2 10 or the 1 2 4 10. I have tried hooking the ball and hitting the 1 2 on purpose by slowing the ball down and haven't picked it up. Yesterday or whenever, I decided to throw straight at it. I picked it up on my first try doing that. I left the 1 2 4 10 twice playing more inside in the video I shot, 1st time I attempted I tried the hook. 2nd time I threw it straight and picked it up. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 7:00 mark 2:20 mark was 1st attempt trying to make it go Brooklyn.