New bowler, bought my first ball.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

EddieK

New bowler, bought my first ball.

Post by EddieK »

Hi everyone.

I bought my first ball and bowled 5 games 2 days ago. My wrist is extremely sore so I'm going to wait until it feels better before I go again. Even my bicep is sore, like I lifted weights. My friend said my form/release wasn't correct. The ball was rotating like a "top". And I was releasing too late, almost like the ball was pulling me forward. I guess I'm pushing the ball forward instead of using its momentum.

Even with the rough start, I did bowl a 168, which is a personal best. I bought a used Hammer Gauntlet (15lbs). The pro shop owner said since I'm a big guy, 15lbs is perfect.

I can't wait to get better. :)
Thx
Eddie K
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: New bowler, bought my first ball.

Post by TonyPR »

Welcome to the addictive sport of bowling! Sounds like you are muscling the ball, bowling should not hurt. Lessons with a certified coach will be money well spent and will help you improve quickly and injury free. If not done properly it will injure you, a bowling ball is the heaviest ball in all sports. Did you have the used ball you purchased plugged and redrilled to fit the anatomy of your hand? This is extremely important and should be done by a qualified pro shop operator.

You have come to the right place, we love to help, especially new bowlers. Post your location and I am sure someone here will be able to recommend a good reputable coach. You can get a lesson every other week and practice 2-3 times a week, it will be money well spent.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

The Gauntlet is pretty big ball to start with, especially without a ball to use as a reference.

Bowling is a matter of learning to roll the ball, most new bowlers want to throw it. Before you take those lessons, chances are, you're going to bowl again. Try not to excerpt too much pressure on the ball when you're swinging...or...releasing it. Let the ball fall naturally (gravity), then let it go freely. The floor will take it the rest of the way down the lane ;)
EddieK

Post by EddieK »

Hi guys, thanks for the response

The ball was filled, resurfaced and fitted to my hand. Lessons are a great idea and I'll look into that. I live at the Jersey Shore (Forked River).

Now that I'm watching some youtube videos, I see how people use gravity to roll the ball. I was definitely over exerting myself. I'm 6'3, 235lbs and by the end of the night, my 15lbs ball felt heavy...

Should I practice at home with a nerf ball or something?
seventen7ten
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 3.5" Right 1" Up
Axis Tilt: 36
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Alpha Crux
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Tribal & Brunswick Axis
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by seventen7ten »

Congratulations on your new high personal best!

Listen to your body. Even though you're a big guy, bowling can really stress the body when you're not used to it. To minimize pain in your wrist and arm you might want to get a neoprene wrist/elbow brace that will keep your muscles/ligaments/tendons warm while playing. Also you can check out some conditioning exercises specifically for bowling. Here is a link to some youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +exercises

There are also many free videos available through the USBC's website:
https://bowl.com/
https://www.usbcbowlingacademy.com/

Good luck and good bowling.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

You might want to take some kind of video and post it here for people to look at to get an idea of what might be causing you to have pain in your wrist and your bicep. As for your wrist, it might be because your cupping the ball and your not use to that movement. That was my case. I always had a broken release my entire life and when I started cupping my wrist, my wrist hurt more and more until I had to do something about it. Now I believe I have strengthen those muscles in my wrist I never used before and kind of used to it. When you first got the ball and you threw it, how did the weight of the ball feel? Did it feel heavy light etc? I am glad you posted this because it remind me of one of the things I am not sure if I am doing right any more and that is make sure that the majority of the weight is on your opposite hand holding the ball in the stance.

I use a 16 and I don't feel any stress at all holding it or rolling it. Its like it isn't even there as I don't think of it. My shoulder is hurting where I tore it in 2 places a year or so ago from bowling 4 times this week now. that is probably due to forcing the ball or holding the ball infront of me too long before it drops or something.

If you haven't bowled in awhile then you will definitely be sore if you bowled 5 games and its been like a year or so. If it has been a year and you did 5 games. Why not get well wait for the pain to go away and then maybe bowl 2 games. Then bowl 2 games the next day etc. See if it is just doing too much too soon or it is a problem with the release or something.
EddieK

Post by EddieK »

A few weeks ago was the first time I bowled in YEARS. I was never good and always a straight bowler. So when I went a few weeks ago, I used a 16lbs ball, bowled straight and had ZERO pain or issues. Now that I'm trying to curve the ball with a flick of the wrist, i know I'm doing it wrong. I'll try to record the next time I go, but I know im twisting my wrist so much that my thumb is pointed down.
I seriously want to go during a time when the lanes are totally empty and just work on the basics. And like some people suggested, get lessons.
EddieK

Post by EddieK »

Heres a few short clips of me trying to bowl.
Don't mind the dingbat talking in the background. lol
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

As you are getting started, here are a few conceptual things that you need to understand about modern bowling:

1. Modern balls have dynamic cores inside them. These balls hook all by themselves. You don't need to do anything to them. The more that you try to make them hook, the less they hook.

2. In modern bowling, you don't throw the ball, you roll the ball. Keep your hand behind the ball until your thumb comes out and rotate your hand through the ball, not around the ball. This is the modern release.

3. Keep your right shoulder quiet. The thing that popped out at me immediately from your video is that your shoulder is moving through your release. Again, this takes a lot off of the ball and makes it very difficult to be consistent and accurate.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

What Rob said. If you watch the video closely you'll see that you are starting to rotate the ball before your thumb even starts to release. That results in the loft you have and little hook. Stay behind the ball, as the thumb releases let the ball rotate naturally and think of an airplane landing smoothly. -- JohnP
EddieK

Post by EddieK »

Thanks for the feedback.
I try to do these things, but sometimes I fall back to old habits.

I actually improved a bit since last time.

I also tried a 2 handed style and I. Liked it a lot. But I wasn't getting enough speed so the ball was grabbing to hard. Either left side gutter balls or hitting the left side of the pins. Revs weren't an issue. Lol