Scores and other topics

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Facebook bowling forum page?

Poll ended at January 26th, 2018, 5:52 am

Yes it would be nice
21%
No I wouldn't use it
79%
Recommend for a friend
No votes

Total votes: 14

BigCountry26241
Preferred Company: Hammer

Scores and other topics

Post by BigCountry26241 »

Good morning everyone. I'm for some concerns with my bowling during my league night. I'm coming across where I've had a great first game or sometimes 3rd. But then my other games are junk. What can I do help with this? (Example, my first games the last 2 nights were 168 scratch and 161 scratch. I've got an avg of 82 pin handicap and it's my 2nd year bowling. The other concerns I've got is my bowling arm is hurting more and more. I've used compression sleeves to help relive the pain but it's bearable. I'm currently using a hammer venom 15.1 ball. I really can't afford another ball at this time and like this ball. Can anyone help with exercises or stretches to help the tendons and knots I've got in my arm. Lastly, I'm wanting to make a page on Facebook about concerns and forums such as this and would love to have input from other bowlers around the world on if you think this would help
56bird

Re: Scores and other topics

Post by 56bird »

My advice regarding almost all of this is, if you're able, find yourself some qualified coaching.

A good coach/pro shop operator could hopefully spot whatever is hurting your arm, and your scores. Could be something in your delivery, ball fit, it's hard to know. If a good PSO can't help, you might need to have a doc check it out.

Posting some videos with multiple angles of your delivery here on BC would also be a start if you can't get in-person help. Just remember we have industry professionals, house-hacks like me, and frankly some members that know NOTHING but like to act like they do. It can be hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Beyond that, be patient! You're pretty new at this. Main goal right now should be to bowl pain-free. If you're not doing this for a living, bowling should be FUN, can't be much fun if it hurts and causes injury.

Regarding FB groups, I'm only one person but what I have to say is, there are a bunch of bowling-related FB groups already. I've seen very good forums like this one get "diluted" when a FB Group was created to go in conjunction with the forum. I'd hate to see that happen to this place. Again, just one house-hack bowler's opinion.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Scores and other topics

Post by krava »

You need to see where the pain is. If the pain is in the shoulder joint then I suggest you stop for awhile. you might want to research this. When you do your arm swing, The tendon has to go through a very tiny space in the shoulder (the stronger the muscles in the back of the shoulder is, the more space is created for the tendon to travel though.) if the space is small then usually the bone will start to cut the tendon over and over until finally it is a tear and then when it grows back, it won't ever be as strong as it was before because of the way it grows back. Mine was getting worse and worse but tolerable until one day I heard a snap and then I was out for 6 months, then another 6 months before I could go more then once a week. it is now coming up on 2 years I think in summer, and I can still feel the place in the shoulder.
56bird had a point (maybe see someone to find out if your doing something wrong) , I was forcing my ball and you might be also to create that feeling.

I will try to answer the first part of your question. You bowl decent first game and then bad after that. Here is a load of questions to answer.

#1 What tends to happen between game 1 and game 2? Does the ball hook more? Less? you can't hit the pocket?
#2 Are you still hitting your mark like you did in game 1 or about the same? (maybe when the shoulder starts hurting you stop hitting your mark or around your mark)
#3 Do you know how to adjust? (move left etc) or just trying to stay in the same spot and upping your ball speed?
#4 Are you missing more spares then you did the first game or about the same.

There is probably a lot more questions. But I don't know how you bowl even. If you hook the ball, you know you have to usually move left. If you don't then the ball will either start to overhook or roll out and die at the end later on in the night. Even, if you haven't bowled long, you can always observe. take what Rob M says and watch what is going on with the other people. See what balls they are throwing and where they are throwing. For instance, last Thursday I had 1 guy with a super aggressive ball chunking it out on the lane with no thumb with a lot of revs burning up my breakpoint. I had an older guy throwing a moderate ball up my same path while the rest of the people were throwing plastic balls down the middle. If you see a lot of people with decent balls throwing around your same area, you know you have to move pretty fast and if you don't you will get caught up in some mess and not bowl very well except for when you have that fresh shot like you do on the first game.

The best thing I can say is if you hook the ball, make sure that ball has good ball motion, if it doesn't then do something to change it, you can hit the pocket all day and not get anything if your ball hits with all of the energy gone.

if your throwing a straight ball the entire time and your scores are off, most likely it is your shoulder hurting that is causing the games to be lower.