A polished solid can never be a pearl...Spinner experiments

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Mastermind
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hyroad Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Cherry Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

A polished solid can never be a pearl...Spinner experiments

Post by bowlaj »

...for those who like to change balls to angular pearl during transition.

I'm close to being done with my polished Brunswick Kingpin for the last game. To be fair though, it's polished with Bean's Secret Sauce which is a bit more snappier than Valentino's Snake Oil.

One more session with some things I haven't tried like: weaker hand position, moving up a foot to increase laydown distance.
Click my green + rep button if this helps!

USBC Bronze Coach

PBA60-Radical Staffer wannabe
charlest

Re: A polished solid can never be a pearl...Spinner experime

Post by charlest »

The problem with Secret Sauce is that it's the most intensely abrasive bowling ball polish ever made, of which I am aware. It is so strong, it's the only one that can truly shine up old, true urethane balls. That said, when used to polish resin, the result becomes an all or nothing proposition. Unless you start with an extremely dull base grit level, like 320 or 500 grit, on top of any finer grit level, the result will always be a marble. There are many levels of polish between a dull ball and a Secret Sauce polished ball.

Heck, that doesn't even begin to talk about finer levels of matte or dull finish: 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 or even 5000 grit dull.

On the other side of the coin, the finer levels of granularity of grit are of greater value to those who are matched or rev dominant, than to those who are speed dominant. It still matters to the speed dominant, but they need to pay attention to larger changes in the grit level of the finished ball. Example: for a strongly speed dominant bowler, his significant finish levels may be 500 grit, 2000 grit, and polished. To go down to slightly sped dominant to matched speed & revs, to strongly rev dominant, significant grit levels or finishes may be 2000 grit, 4000 grit, 500 grit + polish, 500/1000 grit + polish, 500/1000/2000 grit + polish, 4000 grit + polish, etc.
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"
bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

Awesome information!

Your thoughts on Valentino's Snake Oil?

USBC Bronze Coach

ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

charlest wrote:The problem with Secret Sauce is that it's the most intensely abrasive bowling ball polish ever made, of which I am aware. It is so strong, it's the only one that can truly shine up old, true urethane balls. That said, when used to polish resin, the result becomes an all or nothing proposition. Unless you start with an extremely dull base grit level, like 320 or 500 grit, on top of any finer grit level, the result will always be a marble. There are many levels of polish between a dull ball and a Secret Sauce polished ball.

Heck, that doesn't even begin to talk about finer levels of matte or dull finish: 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 or even 5000 grit dull.

On the other side of the coin, the finer levels of granularity of grit are of greater value to those who are matched or rev dominant, than to those who are speed dominant. It still matters to the speed dominant, but they need to pay attention to larger changes in the grit level of the finished ball. Example: for a strongly speed dominant bowler, his significant finish levels may be 500 grit, 2000 grit, and polished. To go down to slightly sped dominant to matched speed & revs, to strongly rev dominant, significant grit levels or finishes may be 2000 grit, 4000 grit, 500 grit + polish, 500/1000 grit + polish, 500/1000/2000 grit + polish, 4000 grit + polish, etc.
Hi Charlest. See if I understand correctly.

Only use Secret Sauce on resin balls with low base grit such as 320 or 500, and skip other grits. Otherwise, the balls will skid too longer.

Finer levels of granularity of grit means going through each level of grit when sanding balls e.g. 500, 1000, 2000, then 4000 (no Secret Sauce). And this is more applicable for matched or rev dominant players.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
gunso

Post by gunso »

is there any way to get a hold off the secret sauce anymore?
bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

Lane1 has it.

USBC Bronze Coach

bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

charlest wrote:The problem with Secret Sauce is that it's the most intensely abrasive bowling ball polish ever made, of which I am aware. It is so strong, it's the only one that can truly shine up old, true urethane balls. That said, when used to polish resin, the result becomes an all or nothing proposition. Unless you start with an extremely dull base grit level, like 320 or 500 grit, on top of any finer grit level, the result will always be a marble. There are many levels of polish between a dull ball and a Secret Sauce polished ball.

What surfaces matched with which bowler? You say going down.....

USBC Bronze Coach

gunso

Post by gunso »

bowlaj wrote:Lane1 has it.
lane1 just called it quits as I understand it
bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

tried maroon scotchbrite topped with Beans on Brunswick Kingpin...did not feed the friction far enough to the left

OPERATOR ERROR!!!

USBC Bronze Coach