That elusive first 300

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Mastermind
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hyroad Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Cherry Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

That elusive first 300

Post by bowlaj »

Near misses 16 months after knee replacement...

Is this what happens before that first 300?

Polished Brunswick Kingpin with Bean's Secret Sauce.

Click my green + rep button if this helps!

USBC Bronze Coach

PBA60-Radical Staffer wannabe
MALT

Re: That elusive first 300

Post by MALT »

Yeah, pretty much. Back 30 yrs. ago I did this a few times. Always that 1 frame in the middle where the brain goes out to lunch.
Question - Did ya peek at the score and 'think' about it right around the open/split?
I don't much worry about it until the 1st 8 are in the bag. Then I just say to self keep throwing the same ball you've been throwing & let it happen. Even on #12, just relax & execute like the previous 11. It'll come!
bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

MALT wrote:Yeah, pretty much. Back 30 yrs. ago I did this a few times. Always that 1 frame in the middle where the brain goes out to lunch.
Question - Did ya peek at the score and 'think' about it right around the open/split?
I don't much worry about it until the 1st 8 are in the bag. Then I just say to self keep throwing the same ball you've been throwing & let it happen. Even on #12, just relax & execute like the previous 11. It'll come!
As you can see, I keep a record as I go as to follow a plan of attack.

My thought pattern was to keep my pre-shot routine, 3-point targeting and a clean release under my head.

4-7-10 Split: I did not put my left arm forward which reduced ball speed and revs.
Bucket: May have been a pinch fast but mostly got around the ball a bit.

USBC Bronze Coach

HughScot
THS Average: 170
Speed: 14
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road pearl, Storm Tropical Breeze, Hammer Taboo

Post by HughScot »

I had mine during league in the second game. Totally unexpected and out of the blue. I started bowling at age 70 and never figured I'd have one but at age 76 it came along. Never thought about it during the game or had come close before so that is probably why I was calm the whole time and just let it flow. A few months later had a 287 and was thinking of another 300 and blew it.
bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

Andy Varipapa 300!

USBC Bronze Coach

LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

It will come.

The first time I had the front 8, I threw a gutter ball. A spare and 3 strikes later, I had a 270 game with 12 "strikes". Long story short, I knew I could throw a 300 after that and it happened shortly after that. You now have the Andy Varipapa 300 - you know you can throw 12 in a row. Just stay with it!
bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

Polished Kingpin.

Three 10s first game. Index finger spread with pinky tuck targeting 18-13 (foul line to arrows)

Moved right 2nd game 14-11. Index finger closed. Missed a couple at the bottom 2nd game.

Why not change balls for the last game? I'm old school and the solution is in my bag o' tricks somewhere. (Hindsight: Only direction not tried was moving right again and maybe a broken wrist?)

Still no 700 this season! I really didn't try the final frame after I was out of the money.

USBC Bronze Coach

stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

I'm still looking for my first sanctioned 300, but I did have back to back 800s (801, 836) in October. :)

During one of the InsideBowling broadcasts, Mike Flanagan mentioned he wanted to film a documentary on how hard it is to roll a 300 game for "typical" league bowlers. Sure, there are people who have dozens, even hundreds of honor scores - but for most league bowlers it seems unattainable.

You'll get there.

Looking over your scoresheet, it looks like you really get caught in the 3rd game. Your shots are either high, or very over/under. Figure out that move and you'll be tossing 700s every week.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

stevespo wrote:I'm still looking for my first sanctioned 300, but I did have back to back 800s (801, 836) in October. :)

During one of the InsideBowling broadcasts, Mike Flanagan mentioned he wanted to film a documentary on how hard it is to roll a 300 game for "typical" league bowlers. Sure, there are people who have dozens, even hundreds of honor scores - but for most league bowlers it seems unattainable.

You'll get there.

Looking over your scoresheet, it looks like you really get caught in the 3rd game. Your shots are either high, or very over/under. Figure out that move and you'll be tossing 700s every week.

Steve
Agreed! Last resort is to go with my Radical Rack Attack Cherry Pearl or Brunswick Intellect which is angular and has length.

USBC Bronze Coach

bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

OPERATOR ERROR IN CRUCIAL FRAMES AT THE WRONG TIME!

I must embrace the fact that our team won all three games. And the second game doubling in the 10th to win by 4 pins. On an individual note though...way too many unacceptable shots! Oh what could have been.

USBC Bronze Coach

bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by bowlaj »

Experimented with switching balls after the first game. Something a little less angular.

(What had happened was...LOL):

Each team brings food every week. Scarfed down chicken wings/legs, potato salad, veggies with dip, tuna salad and 2 cookies.

Couldn't keep my leg speed up. Felt like my stomach was ahead of my feet! Struggled 2nd game until the food went down.

USBC Bronze Coach

Shazaam
THS Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over and 1/2" up
Speed: 14-15 MPH, Qubica Monitor

Post by Shazaam »

Bowled league tonight, Game 1 was ridiculous. I bowled 288, 10 pin wabbled, but wouldn't fall in my 11th frame. Not too shabby for a 185 average bowler. My teammate bowled a 299 the same game. He went high on his final shot and left a 4 pin. We were both going for our 1st sanctioned 300.
My current Stats:

RH
PAP: 5" over and 1" up
Speed: 14.5-15.5 MPH at Monitor
Rev rate: approx. 250-300 rpm
Tilt: 13-15 degrees
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

I had another 299 in league a week ago Monday. Video showed I was a little grabby on the release, came around the side too much and left a wobbly, ringing 10. Just like the one in October.

It was very satisfying on Saturday to double down on our regular pot game, and then pack 12 in the pocket for (yet another unsanctioned, but still competitive) 300 game. 4:1 Challenge pattern too!

Understanding my tendency to get a little quick and over-rotate under pressure made me a few bucks, and is something to work on for the next time...

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
LookingForALeftyWall

Andy’s Varipapa 300 for me last night with the back 4 in the first game and front 9 in the second. Came up a hair high in the 10th frame of the second game and left a 6 pin...
Pinbuster

Post by Pinbuster »

I guess it depends on how long you have been trying but until you have the front 9 or 10 you will never feel the nerves of going for your first.

I have had bowlers shoot 279 with a spare in 5th frame lament on how close the came but the nervousness of the last frame is totally different.

I had to get there several times before I found a way through it. I had been bowling for nearly 30 years and really didn't think at that time I would ever do it. So getting close was a shock to my system.

I have had several since and it gets easier to deal with.
LookingForALeftyWall

Pinbuster wrote:I guess it depends on how long you have been trying but until you have the front 9 or 10 you will never feel the nerves of going for your first.

I have had bowlers shoot 279 with a spare in 5th frame lament on how close the came but the nervousness of the last frame is totally different.
Agreed. I had a run of about six 288-289 games in a row after having the front 10 where that 11th ball got the best of me.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

This is related to the topic but take out the FIRST.

How many people have had this happen. I threw the ball half way decent to start, then I missed and pulled the ball left and held the pocket and should have had a flat 10 but struck. Then I threw the ball out too far right I think completely missing the head pin but close, was about to leave I think the headpin or something and then a pin behind it snuck up behind it and knocked it down (7th frame). 8th frame Threw the ball perfect had massive force great everything on it and too much power and left a Solid 8. I was like ** (cuss but smiling). How can you give me all that and then take my very good strike away from me. Then stuck out for 279 today. I guess I can live with it since I didn't deserve those other 2 strikes before this. But then take away my hopes and let me get that. That is hard to stomach there.
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

I'm still searching for my first sanctioned 300 myself. The most I've thrown in a row is 18 strikes or so. Yes it was a Varipapa 300 and I was really hot that night. I managed a 781 out of that set. So it will come.

I see that you do like to keep track of your score sheet. How about having a team mate do it for you? This way you can focus on your adjustments and not think about the score. For me I used to watch the scoreboard. Since I stopped I've been bowling much better. Only time I look at the scoreboard is to know when it's my turn to bowl.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I don't keep score that much though. We are in first and had to stay in place. Score is important to keep ahead. We partner didn't do well tonight. We won the first game by 7 or so. I learned stop throwing a hook ball at a 8 pin. Throw the straight ball. The only makeable spare I missed was an 8. I made the 8 with the hook at first. Then missed with hook, then made it again with a straight ball. The other open was a 6 10 7. I didn't throw the ball well at all today. 80% of the time using my fingers etc. Shot 692 when I had 492 going into 3rd game and 3rd game fell apart a bit with the 2 opens. We don't use score sheets, we have auto scores on the board. I am confused, they write down the scores at the end.
pjape

Post by pjape »

For me, it's that elusive 2nd 300. The first sanctioned 300 I had was in December of 2004, and I'm still waiting for my second one. I'm actually going to be able to practice this summer (3 free games a day), so who knows.