FingerTip Grips

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Chucktw
Preferred Company: Storm

FingerTip Grips

Post by Chucktw »

Hi Bowlers! I am a Dad of a 12u Girl bowler. Been working with her since she was 4. She is above average and bowls for her High School boys Varsity team, Girls Travel team, multiple Tourneys each year. Left handed bowler that throws a 14lb Rampage(new in September) and plastic spare ball.
Lately, she has had some issues with rotation on the ball. She grows so quickly I am questioning her ball and grips. To be honest, questioning a lot and she is getting frustrated. So, her fingers seem to not be going down into the fingertip grips of the ball to the crease of her fingers. Although, going up a size may be too big. If her fingers are not fully into the ball, what may this cause? And if we go up a size in grips and they are too big what will that cause?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: FingerTip Grips

Post by TonyPR »

Hello and welcome to BowlingChat. I have a 12 yr old daughter too, they grow very quickly. As a rule of thumb I used to check her span every time she went up a shoe size or at least every three months or so, don't have a need to do that now as she recently decided to start bowling two handed no thumb. A good way to check her span is to draw a line at the mid point between her fingertip and mid finger creases, have her insert her thumb fully into the ball and then lay the fingers over the finger holes without stretching, thumb web should be not tight(stretched) nor slack, the line between the creases should coincide with the bottom edge of the inserts. Pitches (thumb and fingers) should be done in relation to span, flexibility and type of release among other things. It's a good idea to find an IBPSIA certified pro shop even if that means going for a long drive.

If it's a fingertip grip the fingers should be inserted all the way into the fingertip crease. If they are too tight you have various options: go up a size, if that is too big leave the top part of the insert without glueing and insert a small cut off rectangle from a playing card between the insert and the ball to make it the correct size. You could also ask for fake vaccu drilling for the finger inserts, search here and you'll find more info, it's basically drilling the top of the hole 1/16" larger and using an insert a size down then only glueing the bottom and bridge sides (there are other versions. Option three, no inserts.

I would like to see a video if you would like me to evaluate her mechanics and release, many times us parents encourage using a heavier ball to get more strikes but at this age it is better to sacrifice score and teach a powerful release using light balls without having to use wrist supports, women's bowling is changing and if she has aspirations of eventually competing at a high level, having a strong power game like Daria Pajak, Diana Zavjalova, Verity Crawley and some of the girls from team Singapur is a good idea.

Hope this helps!
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Several companies make ladies grips in 1/64" size increments, see the link below for the Turbo Ladies Quads selection. The ladies grips require a 7/8" pilot hole instead of the standard 31/32". -- JohnP

https://www.bowlingball.com/products/ac ... serts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

You have some excellent advice from TonyPR and JohnP. I suggest that you wait for your daughter to get through the growth spurt that will happen soon. Let her body determine what to do next. Please make sure she has access to a coach who is aware of teens entering this level of physical development.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Yes, as you say JimH, youth go through some radical changes at this age. There is an open window in which they will develop speed and power (fast twitch muscle fibers) so it's important to cross train in other sports that require explosive rotational movements. Young bowlers at this age will benefit from activities such as pitching an underhand softball, swinging a baseball bat and going to a golf driving range. Emphasis should be given not on accuracy but on swinging hard and fast. Sprinting, jumping and some strength training will also be beneficial.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent