Missing bowling due to powers beyond your control.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Missing bowling due to powers beyond your control.

Post by krava »

Anyone ever had to miss bowling due to a wreck or some other problem forcing you and probably dozens of other people from making it to the bowling alley?

I left over an hour early to get to the bowling alley. 5:40 (bowl at 6:45), Ran up on something about 5 minutes getting on the freeway (bowling alley is about 15 min drive or less on freeway). Anyway I already had my wrist taped up in 3 places etc. I was in the center lane. There was a lane to the left and then a lane to the right and also another lane on the right to get on the freeway going south. Long story short, after 40 minutes on there I called the bowling alley and asked them if they are going to start on time and they said yes. Anyone coming to the bowling alley from the west couldn't make it there. I was stuck on that thing for 2 hours before the cops started walking up the street and forcing people to divert to another freeway to go south. (no way of getting to the bowling alley from there).

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/news/lo ... /858187240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is what I had to deal with.

I probably lost all the games because I couldn't make it there. Do you think it is right that people get penalized for not being able to make it there? As of 10pm they had it on the news again and the freeway was still blocked off 5 hours later saying it won't reopen until probably 3am.

I wanted to get some kind of redemption from my last outing on Thursday. I wanted to make a post with the title. When it rains it pours.. etc. Everything that could go wrong went wrong last week. I had 2 solid 8 pins one in the 2nd and 1 in the 3rd game (I usually average 1 solid 8 every 10 games or so if that but also got one last wedesday) . I had 6 in a row and then a pocket 7-10 split. I chopped the 3 of the 4 pins of partial bucket 3 times in a row. I then split in the 10th frame. With all that going on I had 401 going into the 3rd game. Then the pocket 7 10 happened in the 3rd after a double in the first 2. then a chop somewhere in there and then the split in the 10th. I haven't had sub 600 in awhile (other then the new machine pattern thing). The only good thing is I get to rest my broken wrist for another day and not as much stress on it.

I am tired of going to the bowling alley and there is a wreck. The last 3 times in a row or maybe even 4, the freeway has been backed up for a wreck or something. Most of the time it takes only 30 min to get out of though.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Missing bowling due to powers beyond your control.

Post by MegaMav »

Bowling is small potatoes compared to a potential life or death situation that comes with a car accident.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Missing bowling due to powers beyond your control... Hurricane Maria. But it wasn't only me, it was everyone in every league on the island who couldn't bowl or practice for a full month. Right now in San Juan of the four bowling centers that existed only two remain, one is an AMF that has a huge diesel generator to deal with all the recurring power outages that are still going on and the other one is at Fort Buchanan and wasn't open to civilians until last week and is now open for limited hours. Because of this my league started last Saturday and I had to miss it because I was taking care of a 70 yr old friend, also a bowling coach and one of my teachers, who had to go to the emergency room for health reasons. Last Saturday I played league was September 2, remember we had not one but two major hurricanes hit us...

The traffic jam you are describing sounds what like what happens here almost every day, many traffic lights still not working and the ones that are working don't work when we have a power outage like we had yesterday where almost all of the island lost power. There's not enough police officers to direct traffic on every light. Took me 2 hrs from San Juan to where I am staying at my parents house, it usually takes 30 min. I am staying there since the first week of September as power has yet to arrive to the apartment building where I reside in San Juan. This traffic situation happens very often.

Now I am not complaining, it is what it is, just wanted to give you a reference point Krava.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Well said Tony.
The ravages of nature are amoral, the ravages of man are otherwise.

Most of us are indeed very fortunate.

A tour in the Military or Peace Corp teaches us many life lessons.

Many of us should avail ourselves of World News more often for perspective and awareness.

Take care all.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Talk to the league president and/or secretary. Perhaps there's some way you and others in the same situation could be allowed to post-bowl. -- JohnP
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

Our league have a option of majority vote for a no show/post bowl, it has to be an emergency type incident, but only if it involves you, other wise were is the cut off point, and only then the league decide.
Stuck in traffic would not qualify.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

Tony, you have a very bad serious issue over there in PR. I wish that never happened over there. I and most people can't really conceive or think about what happened over there unless we were actually over there seeing for ourselves. I wish someone would step up and fix the problem over there but from what I heard it might not be fixed for decades over there. My heart goes out to you on that. But still being said everyone in the league missed it. My point was anyone living on the east side of the bowling alley or where the accident was could make it there. I think they should atleast let you make it up or something. The last time I missed they said they would let me make it up and call me but never did. I hate forfeiting all the games due to something though. Maybe it was good I missed it, I mean I am tied with several teams for last place anyway on Wed. On thurs we are in first or tied for first now and usualy I go on Thursday with a really sore wrist from having to bowl the night before with this wrist issue. I was just stating that I think something should be in place if like 1/2 or 1/3 of people have to miss bowling due to not being able to get there because of some bad event. I am not sure how the people that were closer to the wreck got buy. they probably had to get everyone else out of the way and then they might have had to backup 1/2 a mile and then get off the freeway or something. Hopefully today there is not a wreck. That is just a dangerous place anyway. Too many people getting on I-20 and only 2 lanes that can go straight and then other people can't get off to the right to go to another street it was a design mess.

Reread your msg Tony, I think you have every right to complain (even though you said you aren't) . I would be doing it for sure. PR is suppose to be part of the US or something and someone needs to help out more there like I said. I could go on and on about that.
Last edited by krava on November 16th, 2017, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

krava wrote: I probably lost all the games because I couldn't make it there.
I think you mean the "Team" probably lost all the games (unless it's a singles league) because You couldn't make it there.

Do you think it is right that people get penalized for not being able to make it there?
Depending on the leagues rules, you are not necessarily penalized.

The team probably only had to use your average less ten pins.

But You may have had the option to request to post bowl the games do to the emergency situation to make-up the missed games.
I am tired of going to the bowling alley and there is a wreck. The last 3 times in a row or maybe even 4, the freeway has been backed up for a wreck or something. Most of the time it takes only 30 min to get out of though.
Since this seems to happen frequently, finding a alternate route to the lanes and/or leaving earlier would be a wise move. Along with monitoring the traffic info radio stations and/or apps to know about wrecks before getting on the freeway, so you have the option to use a different route.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
MALT

Post by MALT »

Well it appears just 4 out of 20 didn't make it. That's not 1/3 or 1/2 the league as you claim. You must not be good at math, 'or something'! Suck it up buttercup & go out & buy some crackers & cheese to go w/ that whine, 'or something"!
seventen7ten
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 3.5" Right 1" Up
Axis Tilt: 36
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Alpha Crux
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Tribal & Brunswick Axis
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by seventen7ten »

Krava,
You should take some comfort in the fact that you were not involved directly in the accident. It looked horrendous, and probably involved some serious injuries or death. Glad you were not hurt, and we can look forward to more of your posts in the future. ;)