Carry Questions

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Carry Questions

Post by RobMautner »

pjape wrote:I'm now trying to figure out just what type topography we have.
There is a difference between lane characteristics and topography. When we talk about characteristics, it's things that all or most of the lanes have in common, ie., the left lane usually hooks a little more than the right, etc. Topography, by its very nature varies from lane to lane without any particular consistency. Topography is the changes in elevation, depressions and bumps, that are caused by how the sheets of plastic are laying on the frame, and how individual boards of wood in the frame are affected by changes in temperature and humidity.

The only defense against topography differences is an open mind and a willingness to accept that each outing on the lanes is a unique experience regardless of what happened last week or last night, or how a different pair of lanes played.
pjape

Post by pjape »

RobMautner wrote:
There is a difference between lane characteristics and topography. When we talk about characteristics, it's things that all or most of the lanes have in common, ie., the left lane usually hooks a little more than the right, etc. Topography, by its very nature varies from lane to lane without any particular consistency. Topography is the changes in elevation, depressions and bumps, that are caused by how the sheets of plastic are laying on the frame, and how individual boards of wood in the frame are affected by changes in temperature and humidity.

The only defense against topography differences is an open mind and a willingness to accept that each outing on the lanes is a unique experience regardless of what happened last week or last night, or how a different pair of lanes played.
Absolutely! Since changing the lane surface itself to make them flatter would be a financial impossibility, I need to figure out how to combat it with proper lane play and equipment. Since we bowl Thursday nights, we have off this week. I'm hoping to be able to do some practicing and play around with my ball surfaces and hopefully come up with something that works for me. After all, some are hitting it, so there is a solution. Let's face it, if it was too easy, it would become boring.
PinChurch
THS Average: 196
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 right 3/4up
Speed: 17,0 (Specto)
Rev Rate: 322
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40

Post by PinChurch »

RobMautner wrote:

I would stick my tongue out and state that the lanes' "characteristics" is a part of the lanes' topography. In bowling you only deal with topography, not the lanes' feelings and behaviour :P.
Every ball you release leave a little dent in the lane, and does it's part for the topography.

You can do one thing for the topography, that is to lay a suited matched up oilpattern to that alley's general "characteristics". That means that you shouldn't lay a 36 feet pattern on a lane that you can't play outside of 5th board on (because of the crowning). You shouldn't lay down Abbey road on a AMF/qubica synthetics, that has 1) a very high friction 2) has depressions in midlane. That is a disaster in magnitude!
PinChurch
THS Average: 196
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 right 3/4up
Speed: 17,0 (Specto)
Rev Rate: 322
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40

Post by PinChurch »

pjape wrote:
Absolutely! Since changing the lane surface itself to make them flatter would be a financial impossibility, I need to figure out how to combat it with proper lane play and equipment. Since we bowl Thursday nights, we have off this week. I'm hoping to be able to do some practicing and play around with my ball surfaces and hopefully come up with something that works for me. After all, some are hitting it, so there is a solution. Let's face it, if it was too easy, it would become boring.
You can't defy gravity on this planet. Some gurus out there states that a ball has more than 9 shapes of ball motion. That statement is there for a reason:

Next time you go to the alley, right before you starting to bowl, you should lay down on your stomach on the approach and look at the pins. Ask your self: What do I see? You see pins, you see a foul line and you see lots of lots lots of hills!

http://www.laurenwantstoknow.com/wp-con ... 0x1200.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every hill has a depression and a crown, it is a hill! These hills aren't a product of the lane's alignment to the wood frame. These hills is the result of bowling, and results of the synthetic laminate irregularities. Every hill has a uphill and a downhill, and the ball can't defy the gravity!
Your ball goes through several physical moments of gravitation, some are breaking the ball, others accelerates the ball to a given direction (no, not there you have your line!).

Now, the topic of Kegel's study of the topography wasn't the regular dents, lane track (most used area on the lane) and irregularities on the lane, it was the plate's alignment itself. They studied the individual synthetic plates in relation to the wood frame. In this case you can plan ahead and choose the surface on the ball until you discover that the topography has changed with himidity and temperature that day. Now you are on the first frame again, and you need to plan again. These types of topography is quite regular and general (the seagull wings as example), the settlement of the wood frame changes the hole plane, not bits of it. You can plan for this when you read the lanes when you play.

Instead of train ahead, learn to read the ball motion on the lane, and change surface and balls after that. No lane ever plays like that lane of yours, that lane you surfaced the ball for.

Or: Vote for the new aluminium synthetics!
"I mean they will not dent. Oh, I guess you might dent one with a sledgehammer, but not with a bowling ball."
if you see a termite chewing through this stuff, you're about to see a termite with monumental dental problems.
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-06-17/ ... wood-lanes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pjape

Post by pjape »

PinChurch wrote:
You can't defy gravity on this planet. Some gurus out there states that a ball has more than 9 shapes of ball motion. That statement is there for a reason:

Next time you go to the alley, right before you starting to bowl, you should lay down on your stomach on the approach and look at the pins. Ask your self: What do I see? You see pins, you see a foul line and you see lots of lots lots of hills!

http://www.laurenwantstoknow.com/wp-con ... 0x1200.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every hill has a depression and a crown, it is a hill! These hills aren't a product of the lane's alignment to the wood frame. These hills is the result of bowling, and results of the synthetic laminate irregularities. Every hill has a uphill and a downhill, and the ball can't defy the gravity!
Your ball goes through several physical moments of gravitation, some are breaking the ball, others accelerates the ball to a given direction (no, not there you have your line!).

Now, the topic of Kegel's study of the topography wasn't the regular dents, lane track (most used area on the lane) and irregularities on the lane, it was the plate's alignment itself. They studied the individual synthetic plates in relation to the wood frame. In this case you can plan ahead and choose the surface on the ball until you discover that the topography has changed with himidity and temperature that day. Now you are on the first frame again, and you need to plan again. These types of topography is quite regular and general (the seagull wings as example), the settlement of the wood frame changes the hole plane, not bits of it. You can plan for this when you read the lanes when you play.

Instead of train ahead, learn to read the ball motion on the lane, and change surface and balls after that. No lane ever plays like that lane of yours, that lane you surfaced the ball for.

Or: Vote for the new aluminium synthetics!
"I mean they will not dent. Oh, I guess you might dent one with a sledgehammer, but not with a bowling ball."
if you see a termite chewing through this stuff, you're about to see a termite with monumental dental problems.
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-06-17/ ... wood-lanes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our lane surface is DBAIQ; have you even heard of it? I haven't been able to find anything on it via Google. I will take your suggestion about getting down on the floor and looking at the lane. This will be very interesting. I once saw Walter Ray do this during a PBA tournament.

The only thing that I don't understand is your suggestion on reading ball motion and then changing surface and balls. Once I start league warmup, if I need to make a surface change, it's a bit too late then. I'm not disagreeing with you; I just don't see how it's practically possible. I guess I'm trying to come up with something more general so no matter what the lane gives me, my whopping three ball arsenal will yield me something that works. What's nerve-racking is the guy leading average (234) always plays the same line, and I don't think I've ever seen him change balls during a three game set. Must be nice!
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

pjape wrote: Our lane surface is DBAIQ; have you even heard of it? I haven't been able to find anything on it via Google.
Brunswick bought DBA

DBA Online: IQ Lane System
http://www.dbaproducts.com/iqsystem.htm

GOOGLE search term: DBA IQ lanes

Most info seems to say DBA IQ surface plays much like the Brunswick Prolane.
The only thing that I don't understand is your suggestion on reading ball motion and then changing surface and balls. Once I start league warmup, if I need to make a surface change, it's a bit too late then. I'm not disagreeing with you; I just don't see how it's practically possible.
Many bowlers make changes to ball surface by hand during warm up with Abralon pads, it only takes a minute to scuff it up or smooth it some.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."