Tiger Woods calling for Changes in Golf - Sound Familiar??

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Tiger Woods calling for Changes in Golf - Sound Familiar??

Post by rrb6699 »

Well ol Tiger says the golfballs are going too far. pushing for 8000 yard courses. Sounds like golf having similar issues with technology.

I think if tiger could still hit the ball 340 yards, he probably wouldn't be pushing for this. Technology stops for no-one eh?
Bahshay

Re: Tiger Woods calling for Changes in Golf - Sound Familiar

Post by Bahshay »

rrb6699 wrote:Well ol Tiger says the golfballs are going too far. pushing for 8000 yard courses. Sounds like golf having similar issues with technology.

I think if tiger could still hit the ball 340 yards, he probably wouldn't be pushing for this. Technology stops for no-one eh?
For clarity, Tiger is pushing for roll backs on ball technology in order to avoid 8000 yard courses.

It seems like it would be an easy change for golf. A phased approach would allow ball companies to sell out remaining stock while switching production to new regulations. Ball companies wouldn’t even likely see a sales hit, golf balls are replaceable equipment regardless and rarely used for more than a couple of rounds. It really has no effect on any of the industry or the consumers within it, no one has to replace anything expensive.

To me, that doesn’t sound like the impact of changing ball dynamics in our sport. That sounds like the impact of enforcing challenging lane conditions. Taking away people’s bowling balls and telling them you’re forcing them to use new ones would wipe out what’s left of the sport. But putting challenging patterns affects no one financially (besides maybe some alleys with extremely outdated equipment, but if it’s THAT old, shame on them).

The hard part, with both golf balls and lane conditions, is enforcing it at a recreational level. The difference between golf and bowling (and, to me, the most difficult aspect of regulating bowling): Recreational golfers make a tee time with friends and play in totally unregulated environments. If they don’t use the new golf balls, who cares? If they’re not as good as they think they are, who cares? The golfers themselves don’t. In bowling, we have to care. Recreational bowlers are league bowlers. You have competitors who care competing with recreational bowlers, for prize money. There’s almost no change you can make that isn’t going to piss off a significant portion of the membership.

It’s beyond ball technology, lane conditions, etc. The entire institution of league bowling is broken and needs radical change to adapt to modern bowling. Golf doesn’t have to care about that. Bowling does.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Re: Tiger Woods calling for Changes in Golf - Sound Familiar

Post by rrb6699 »

thanks for the additional clarity on my post.

I've seen bowlers using "illegal" balls in unsanctioned tournaments several times. I have been around enough to know when a ball is 40-45' downlane and breaks 14 boards with 3 revs that something is fishy.

the thing with bowling is if you use an illegal ball you cannot use it on all lane conditions. plus you must be very consistent in your execution like in golf.

golf balls that are essentially"super balls" may go further on a good straith shot, but, they will also go much further on a bad shank shot. they outlawed (banned) a few balls I know of since the soakers in bowling. Sur D, more recently Jackal Ghost.

they also outlawed clubs like the Big Bertha in golf. but, recreationally it didn't stop them from being used. only in sanctioned events. I equate golf clubs to bowling balls as far as equipment goes.

mentally, golf and bowling are indeed individual sports. that has always been the thing that draws comparisons between the two games. they are both games of skill. archery and shooting could be thrown in there but not many sports are individual sports where you directly do not have an opposing entity affecting your effort.

bowling is played on a visible "field" with invisible conditions. wind in most of these other individual sports equates to oil in bowling. excep for the fact that wind is not controlled by humans.

I respect all sports for what they are and the effort it takes to excel in each. bowling has a participatory advantage over other sports in that it can be played with little or no investment in equipment, can be played day or night (some cities 24hrs), and in almost any weather due to it being indoors. I believe celebrities in bowling are more accessible than in most other sports for the most part.

I am good at many sports, but, chose bowling because I got a turkey in duckpins when I bowled my first game when I was 5 yrs old. when everyone made such a big deal over me I thought maybe I'm good at bowling.

later on I chose bowling because it was such a challenge.

so, here I am.

sorry to ramble here. just thinking out loud.

rr