Female Pros

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Female Pros

Post by pjape »

I don't know about all of you, but I just love to watch female pros bowl (and it's not why you think!). Last night in league there was a PWBA titleist on the pair to my left, and it was like taking a lesson just watching her bowl. Just solid fundamentals, very accurate with her launch angles and speed. She had very few shots out of the pocket and spares were automatic. She ended up with around 715 or so.

I guess it's because I'm a senior bowler now, and also can't depend on speed and revs to get the job done. It shows me that if a bowler has a lower rev rate and can't generate a lot of speed, they can still score very well if they have great fundamentals and can repeat shots (and make their freaking spares!).

My challenge to myself is to forget about rev rate and ball speed and concentrate on timing, balance, a free straight swing and hitting my targets.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Female Pros

Post by kajmk »

I always recommended that aspiring bowlers study the lady pros and elite locals.
Your words cover the main reasons why.
Norm Duke had often been quoted in that he is constantly practicing Fundamentals.
I'm curious to know how her 715 compared to the field so as to put it in persoective.
The local elite league I follow, has a relative dearth of honor scores this year. Yet the bowlers both women and men that are solid, are still doing well.
They do not beat themselves and they make it look far easier than it really is.

As you say, my friend, make your spares!

Good post.

This advice from Ray Wong is golden.
Excellent springboard to improvement and success!

[youtube][/youtube]

Also, the sage advice of Mark Baker that bowlers in the hall of fame while having key commonalities, achieve them in different ways.

Again, missed spares are like a baseball pitcher walking batters ...

We must remember to avoid tripping over our own ego.

Cheerio
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Mikepetrosky
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 right, 1/4 up
Speed: 18.5 at the line
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: DV8 Ruckus Feud
Medium Oil Ball: RotoGrip Uproar, Columbia Resurgence, Brunswick Exile
Light Oil Ball: RotoGrip Scream
Preferred Company: Rotogrip, Storm, DV8

Post by Mikepetrosky »

I know who you speak of PJAPE; without naming names, yes she is fundamentally quite sound. When she is executing well, she is outstanding. When she is not executing well, she's still pretty good.
pjape

Post by pjape »

kajmk wrote:I always recommended that aspiring bowlers study the lady pros and elite locals.
Your words cover the main reasons why.
Norm Duke had often been quoted in that he is constantly practicing Fundamentals.
I'm curious to know how her 715 compared to the field so as to put it in persoective.
The local elite league I follow, has a relative dearth of honor scores this year. Yet the bowlers both women and men that are solid, are still doing well.
They do not beat themselves and they make it look far easier than it really is.

As you say, my friend, make your spares!

Good post.

This advice from Ray Wong is golden.
Excellent springboard to improvement and success!

[youtube][/youtube]

Also, the sage advice of Mark Baker that bowlers in the hall of fame while having key commonalities, achieve them in different ways.

Again, missed spares are like a baseball pitcher walking batters ...

We must remember to avoid tripping over our own ego.

Cheerio
John, I looked again in the paper, and she actually had 723, which was fourth high for the league. High series was 743.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Pjape
John, I looked again in the paper, and she actually had 723, which was fourth high for the league. High series was 743.
That speaks volumes!

Years ago, the last two incarnations of ladies professional bowling had Tour stops here every year. I'd schedule vacation time and buy a pass for the entire week and TV show.
I also did the same for PBA. Always very enjoyable.

I think Rolf Gauger wrote an article or two espousing the premise of studying the lady pros.
There is a lot of logic there in that most women cannot depend on strength as asset number one.

Thanks for sharing.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

pjape wrote:I don't know about all of you, but I just love to watch female pros bowl (and it's not why you think!). Last night in league there was a PWBA titleist on the pair to my left, and it was like taking a lesson just watching her bowl. Just solid fundamentals, very accurate with her launch angles and speed. She had very few shots out of the pocket and spares were automatic. She ended up with around 715 or so.

I guess it's because I'm a senior bowler now, and also can't depend on speed and revs to get the job done. It shows me that if a bowler has a lower rev rate and can't generate a lot of speed, they can still score very well if they have great fundamentals and can repeat shots (and make their freaking spares!).

My challenge to myself is to forget about rev rate and ball speed and concentrate on timing, balance, a free straight swing and hitting my targets.
Also would like to add, once the physical game is solid and repeatable, a solid understanding of ball motion and lane play is key. With today's ball technology you don't necessarily need a high rev rate or speed.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

I bowl the mens and women's pro-ams every year . always cool to actually be bowling with them. even better!