Wrist bone pain/ reroute nerve?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Wrist bone pain/ reroute nerve?

Post by krava »

I practiced yesterday and got really bad pain when I threw the ball where the pointy bone part is on wrist (top part of hand 1/2" down on right side of right hand. The proshop guy said that it happens when someone comes around the ball during the release. He also said that some pro bowlers have had the "nerve" re routed somehow and that fixes the problem. I am not sure if this is a nerve or what.

I tried to bowl today. The first ball went into the gutter, Dropping the ball weight 1lb still didn't help. After 4 practice shots I walked out saying I couldn't do it. He suggested something such as KT tape or PT tape or something and tape it up. I have been icing this and also putting liquid NSAID on it. I am not sure what caused this because I haven't felt it like this before. It hard to hold the ball.

I believe the treatment is only rest or something. Anyone ever have that and how did you fix having it again? I got it from trying to play inside and trying to get the ball to rev more to get it to come back.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Wrist bone pain/ reroute nerve?

Post by MegaMav »

Poor fit. End of story. Save me the nerve BS.
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

I agree with megamav it's more than likely poor fit. Personally I get around the ball quite a bit upwards of 90 degrees of rotation and I can tilt upwards of 20+ degrees if I desired yet I have no wrist pain. Elbow pain from trying to really get under the ball and hammer it at release sure, but no wrist pain.

The only time KT tape or tape of that nature should be used is for long tournaments. I'm not against it and use it plenty of times, but for a 3 game league, I don't need to unless I've had a long week of working out and work has beaten me up. The best thing is get your grip checked and make sure it's comfortable to you. You should experience no pain with your grip.

Another option I would suggest is go gripless on just your fingers but keep your thumb slug. Being a power player that likes to hit on the ball I went through 3-5 pairs of grips in a season. So easily saved about 100 bucks a season. The main reason other than saving money was to soften my hand up. I do bevel my finger holes, but the lack of grips makes me more aware of my grip pressure. This ensures whether or not I should lighten up and back off my hand and play up the boards, or get in and use my rev rate to my advantage, pattern of oil being the main factor of what to do.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

SomyP wrote:You should experience no pain with your grip.
I totally agree. I have always told bowlers that bowling should not hurt. If it hurts it might be the way I drilled and fitted the ball OR it might be due to technique. It can be corrcted. The expression 'No pain - no gain' does not apply to bowling.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I think it is due to releasing wrong or something. I think it is wrist tendonitis or something. I looked it up and didn't see anything about this nerve thing that the PSO guy was talking about. The only solution is rest. The problem is I don't think I can rest on Thursday. Thursday we are in 1st place and I think on a mixed team you have to have atleast 1 male and 1 female on the team or you forfeit. I think I can lift weights and the wrist won't hurt but when the hand turns just a little it starts to hurt. I might have to go tback to the suitecase grip full roller release for the next month while this thing heals.
The grip is fine because I can hold the ball without having to grip it but I have a tendency to turn the ball too soon putting lot of pressure on the wrist. I still think some kind of wrist or hand brace will reduce stress on the wrist atleast for awhile but doesn't give you any motion or bend to turn or nothing.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I need some advice bad. I have thrown a few practice shots atleast on the bed using the full roller release and have very minimal pain. I tried putting my hand right under the ball (not cupping) and letting it go in the backswing and the pain is pretty bad just doing that. So my options are try the full roller release to see if it doesn't hurt or #2 try a storm c4 wrist brace maybe and see what happens. The best option is rest but that might not be possible. (but trying to get as much rest as possible will be a priority)

The next question is when to start trying to strengthen the wrist? Wait for all the inflammation to go away first? Exercises would be like the grip squeeze thing and wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. That works more of the forearm but I guess it does the wrist too.

The disadvantage of the full roller is rev rate goes down to 150-175rpm but accuracy and consistency of release go through the roof. Increasing speed +2 or +3mph is also easy to do with almost no effect on accuracy.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

You've probably written this somewhere, what are your pitches and spans? They are subjective to each individual bowler, but at least it's a start in terms of trying to diagnose what your issue might be.
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

Krava, if you believe it is a physical problem, go see the doctor, do not assume, it only makes things worse. I really think you should get your fit checked anyhow.
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Taking time off I have someone that will sub for me Thursdays. Hopefully should be normalized in a month. Then going to IRTC for a lesson to see what is causing that. It isn't serious enough for a dr it is just inflammation. Just limit picking up any weight or using the hand and ice etc.