Optimistic vs Pessimistic vs Realistic shotmaking self-evaul

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Optimistic vs Pessimistic vs Realistic shotmaking self-evaul

Post by krava »

I was reading this: https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowlin ... up-part-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is small quote "Optimistic bowlers are always throwing it well. They never seem to feel or see that the ball came off of their hand badly. These bowlers are pretty much always ready to blame the lanes or the equipment for any bad reaction since it can’t possibly be their fault. Every release is pure and every shot is on target. These bowlers open themselves up to overadjusting and making poor decisions based on bad shots.

Pessimistic bowlers never throw it well or always blame themselves for bad shots and bad ball reaction. They don’t notice when the lane itself is not allowing the ball to do what they want it to do. They always want to ‘throw it better’. They will often not even watch the ball roll down the lane on shots they don’t feel are good enough. These bowlers generally don’t adjust very quickly, if at all. They open themselves up to bad ball reaction by always blaming their release or timing or swing instead of the ball or lanes. Sometimes, it really isn’t the bowler’s fault.

Realistic bowlers know their game. They know when a shot is good, when it is good enough, and when it is bad. It is a small group of bowlers who are objective about their game and the most prepared to adjust correctly. Depending on their level of understanding of lane conditions and ball reaction, they will make more good decisions than either pessimistic or optimistic bowlers. Being realistic about your bowling game is the last topic to cover this month before going into more detail for different patterns in the coming issues."

Isn't everyone here a realistic bowler? I haven't ever asked anyone at the bowling alley where they fall into. I don't see how anyone can fall in the first 2? From the start I never saw myself throwing it right every time or never throwing it good at all.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Optimistic vs Pessimistic vs Realistic shotmaking self-e

Post by MegaMav »

"Realistic" bowlers have been bowling at a high level for a long time IMO.
pjape

Post by pjape »

In my opinion, one cannot become a realistic bowler if all they ever bowl on is THS. There is really no way to know we are making great shots unless we bowl on a condition that does not cover up our mistakes. As we improve our game and our shot-making skills, then when we miss the pocket, we'll have more accurate understanding whether it was us, or the lane.

I learned this lesson when I bowled my first sport league (may it RIP). It was actually much more obvious when fall came and my THS league started up again. I would make a bad shot, and expect what would have happened on sport, but instead, I'd strike. That shot that I sent two boards wide got three on the right on sport, but a strike on THS.

In one of my old bowling books by Dave Ferraro and Mike Aulby, Ferraro made the comment that he always thinks it's the lane. But, when you consider the shot making skills of this former Player of the Year, most of the time it would have been the lane. I guarantee this confidence was developed on Tour conditions, not THS.

I myself fight being a pessimistic bowler. In previous years I wouldn't move when I should have, because it was always "I made a bad shot." Now I try (not always successfully) to follow the advice of Susie Minshew, who says "unless you miss by an arrow, MOVE! You can always move back if it doesn't work." Unfortunately, so far this season, it has been me, and moving doesn't usually help when you don't have a clue.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

pajape: You make a bit of a point there. If a person has never bowled on a sport shot then they have no idea about it. To me to be a "realstic bowler" there is alot of things you have to know down pat. You need to be able to do all of the following:

1) Tell the difference between between a shot that you throw just .5mph faster then another.
2) Be aware of where you throw the ball at the arrows and where it hits at the breakpoint.
3) Be aware of anything in your release that is different between shots ( for instance not coming around the ball if you do, or breaking your wrist etc.
4) Make sure you can identify good ball motion and when it isn't good ball motion.
5) Don't blame the lanes for anything, the lanes are there and it is your job to figure out how to deal with them.

I am not sure if I left something out if I did let me know.

Now suppose we don't have a sport condition to deal with and just a THS. If you are able to throw a shot and tell exactly what you did correct and what you did wrong and what happened and can describe the ball motion etc, I don't see how you aren't a realistic bowler. Personally when I throw a shot and I know I threw it bad and then I strike I shake my head at it. For instance I threw a ball today, I didn't come out of the ball correctly and I was under the ball and not on the side of the ball. The ball rollled good and hit the pocket but I know it hits weak because I didn't get my hand out correctly and I even tell my team mates well this is what I did and I just got lucky I struck. I throw the ball and miss a board left, miss the breakpoint left and hit high, I tell the people what I did and it isn't a good shot. Same as when I do throw a good shot, hit both points, good ball roll and dead in the pocket and leave a solid 10. I sometimes put my hands out like what happend? You have to be careful with that. If you throw the ball miss your breakpoint right and it comes back to the pocket, it could still hit the pocket but too much angle in the pocket will leave the 10 also. If you can identify everything that you did when you throw the ball, you should be a realistic bowler right? That is if your getting good ball motion. If your getting bad ball motion then you might be playing the wrong part of the lane and thus trying to blame the lane on things etc. This is just my point of view.

I mean I am probably the worst pessimistic person there is. Never happy etc. But if you say to yourself that I never throw the ball right to begin with, what is the purpose even bowling? An optimistic person might think they are doing good but they aren't aware of things like launch angle etc that I wasn't aware of.I think these people blame the lanes.

I don't blame the lanes anymore. Everyone has to bowl on the lanes so its your job to figure them out. Tonight the lanes were having too strong of backends. The last 4 times I bowled I didn't have to deal with it. So tonight I switched to a low flare ball and delt with the conditions. (the only time I will blame the lanes is if 1 pair of lanes is completely different from the rest of the league. I don't see tha happening with the new machines though). I have to bowl monday and I am not use to major transition. I am going to have hell when I start moving left. It will be my fault for not knowing what to use and how when this happens. I will atleast know and be aware of what needs to be done but not sure how to get things done.