Have you ever quit?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

LittleTiger

Re: Have you ever quit?

Post by LittleTiger »

Daryl wrote:I stopped bowling because of the sick easy lane conditions.
Off-topic but I'm just curious that how easy patterns there is on "normal" league/competitions on US?
MegaMav wrote:Here is the website for rules and more details: http://www.cdclbowling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Next Pattern" does not look like super challenging. Of course ratio 4 means that there is little bit less room of error than on ratio 5-6 which we have most of the competitions but there looks be also quite lot of oil which provides easy slide on inside.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

LittleTiger wrote: "Next Pattern" does not look like super challenging. Of course ratio 4 means that there is little bit less room of error than on ratio 5-6 which we have most of the competitions but there looks be also quite lot of oil which provides easy slide on inside.
4:1 isnt super hard or super easy and 23ml of oil isnt a lot, especially Prodigy oil in a Kegel Ion transfer brush machine.
Some may be surprised, but so far some of the patterns have been easier than a house shot for those that throw it good.
The steep cliff isnt there and ball transitions occur at a slower rate making ball motion easier to read.
The middle of the game can be fun.
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by Daryl »

LittleTiger wrote:Off-topic but I'm just curious that how easy patterns there is on "normal" league/competitions on US?
Well if one can master the wet/dry over/under reaction of some of these 10 to 1 ratio league patterns, a bowler can average way higher than his actual skill set. I typically averaged 225 to 230 on these patterns with no practice, bowling one league per week. If I needed some tweeking of my game I would just take a ball and work on my release in the backyard. I am not a real 225 to 230 average bowler. Put me on a sport shot and I am sure I will struggle to average 190 with practice time on the lanes.
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
magicmike
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

I've quit due to loss of interest in the game (wasn't even slumping) and I've been forced to take extended time off due to injury.

Back now this year for my first full league year in a while and i'm having a good time. I really do miss being in an area where I could get access to sport patterns, but I make due with what's put out and bowl as many tournaments as I can. Seem to be in a better mood most of the time (I'm can still be a whiny brat when I bowl bad, but I hide it better than I used to) than before I quit, sometimes time off makes you realize how much you actually do enjoy something.
LittleTiger

Post by LittleTiger »

Daryl wrote:Well if one can master the wet/dry over/under reaction of some of these 10 to 1 ratio league patterns, a bowler can average way higher than his actual skill set.
10:1 :shock: seriously? I have expected that it is an urban legend.
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18

Post by Daryl »

LittleTiger wrote:10:1 :shock: seriously? I have expected that it is an urban legend.
Seriously! Now maybe not all centers have this high of a ratio. But when one can pull the ball 5 boards and be light in the pocket and leave the bucket (ball hits third arrow when the target is 2nd arrow), and miss right a couple boards (ball breaks outside of the 5th board) and go through the nose, a bowler is bowling on a very high ratio condition.
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
juggernaut
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8> 1/2^
Preferred Company: A.M.F.

Post by juggernaut »

Yes, I’ve thought about it quite a bit, especially in this last year. I’m 57 years old, don’t get to practice much anymore because of money and working hours, and was in a terrible slump.

Then, I just came out of my slump, and started bowling “lights out”, at least for me. Shooting 650 to 700 virtually every time I picked up the ball.

Then, this week, I pop off a 496 series. Out of the blue, for reasons I cannot discern, it felt like I had never bowled before.

I was dropping the ball early, pulling every other shot, and the ones I didn’t pull, I pushed out about 5 boards too far. One shot through the beak and split, the next one wash out wide right. UUGGGHHHH!

Times like this, I want to quit. My knee hurts, and I have to take ibuprofen just to get through a set, and when it’s like this, it just doesn’t seem worth it at times.

I haven’t quit yet, but sure been thinking about it lately.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

Blame it on bad bio-rhythms and know that it's going to get better. -- JohnP
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

juggernaut wrote:I want to quit. My knee hurts, and I have to take ibuprofen just to get through a set, and when it’s like this, it just doesn’t seem worth it at times.
Knee problems... how much do you slide?
I used to have knee problems, and it came from using those rubberized heels, even the slipperier ones.
Once I switched to red leather #7 with a 8 or 9 sole I've not had knee issues.
Might be something to consider, my balance improved too since im sliding a good 18" now.