Current equivalent to old Faball Blue Hammer

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

markkuhn

Current equivalent to old Faball Blue Hammer

Post by markkuhn »

Is there a current urethane ball equivalent to the old Faball Blue Hammer?
I have a Pitch Black, but it's about 5 to 7 boards stronger than my old Blue Hammer.
I can't roll the Blue Hammer anymore because it's 16 pounds and my fingers and wrist hurt from it.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Current equivalent to old Faball Blue Hammer

Post by TonyPR »

Black Hammer is really close, Purple if you want stronger and Widow Urethane if you want even stronger. Their remake of the Blue Hammer I didn’t like because it lane shined way too easy.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

markkuhn wrote:Is there a current urethane ball equivalent to the old Faball Blue Hammer?
I have a Pitch Black, but it's about 5 to 7 boards stronger than my old Blue Hammer.
I can't roll the Blue Hammer anymore because it's 16 pounds and my fingers and wrist hurt from it.
How long have you rolled 16 pounders?
Remember to have your grip reassessed. You might want to have a coach check out your game, see if your stress is rooted in technique. Barring physical damage, you might be able to continue using 16. Norm Duke, 130 pounds had been rolling 16 for most if not all of his career.

Ron Clifton's Ball weight test. Tip #14 of 46 at bowl4fun
WHAT WEIGHT BALL? COULD 14 LBS BE YOUR "SWEET WEIGHT"?

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
markkuhn

Post by markkuhn »

I returned to the game in March after a 20 year absence. Back then, my 16 pound Faball Blue Hammer was no problem, but it is now.
My Pitch Black is 15 pounds and doesn't hurt my fingers at all and the drilling on that ball was copied directly from the Blue Hammer.
I use urethane because resin forces me to move left, and I suck when I have to move left. But I'm learning to correct that with a coach.
The house I bowl in has no clue what a lane conditioner looks like, and makes resin very over under.
In another center, I can stay right with my IQ Tour and switch to my Hustle INK when the lanes start to burn up and average 198.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

20 yrs ago spans used to be way too stretched and because of this thumbs needed to be drilled with too much reverse pitch in order for the bowler to be able to get out of the ball. This promoted a lot of squeezing. Don’t discard the 16 pound ball, instead have it plugged and redrilled with a more modern fit. Look for an IBPSIA certified pro shop or ask for recommendations here for a good fitter in your area.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

TonyPR wrote:20 yrs ago spans used to be way too stretched and because of this thumbs needed to be drilled with too much reverse pitch in order for the bowler to be able to get out of the ball. This promoted a lot of squeezing. Don’t discard the 16 pound ball, instead have it plugged and redrilled with a more modern fit. Look for an IBPSIA certified pro shop or ask for recommendations here for a good fitter in your area.
Good point Tony. Certainly worth a try.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

Not only that, but there is not a bowler on the planet whose hand hasn't changed over the past 20 years just from the aging process. Every bowler should have their hand remeasured every 4-5 years. Bowlers over 60 even more often.
djp1080
THS Average: 185
Heavy Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Dark Legend, Wreck-IT
Medium Oil Ball: Hy-Road, IQ Tour 30, Reign On, Byte, Code Black
Light Oil Ball: Storm Tropical Breeze Hybrid
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by djp1080 »

RobMautner wrote:Not only that, but there is not a bowler on the planet whose hand hasn't changed over the past 20 years just from the aging process. Every bowler should have their hand remeasured every 4-5 years. Bowlers over 60 even more often.
Hello Rob, Since you mentioned over 60, what kind of things should I look out for?
Around 2 or 3 years ago I found that I was experiencing some discomfort at the end joints of my middle and ring fingers. So my PSO changed the pitch on those fingers and now there's virtually no discomfort or pain.
I experienced some discomfort with a change in my hand position at release where I felt pressure at the base of my thumb joint. Used some HADA tape in that area for a while and kept bowling. After a while the pressure issue was not a problem (couple of months). PSO beveled the thumbhole in a couple balls for me.
Any thing else to pay attention to??
Thanks...
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

The only other thing is your span. As many of us over sixty start developing some degree of arthritis, the hand may lose some range of motion which may affect the overall span.
markkuhn

Post by markkuhn »

Update: I bought the Hammer Black Urethane and the Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane. They're being drilled and I should have them Friday.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

If you’re working with a coach I don’t know why you would double down on more urethane when you already have a pitch black. You could’ve tried a low flare layout on resin and stayed right but keep the hitting power.
Stacy
markkuhn

Post by markkuhn »

I tried a Storm Tropical Storm, it still could not generate any trust in where it was going. Can't get much tamer than that ball.
My Pitch Black is a great ball, but depending on lane condition, is sometimes 10 boards stronger than my Blue Hammer.
My average throwing urethane is 20 pins higher than when throwing reactive resin.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Again, urethane is an indictment of proshops inability to deliver what a customer wants using a reactive ball.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

markkuhn wrote:I tried a Storm Tropical Storm, it still could not generate any trust in where it was going. Can't get much tamer than that ball.
My Pitch Black is a great ball, but depending on lane condition, is sometimes 10 boards stronger than my Blue Hammer.
My average throwing urethane is 20 pins higher than when throwing reactive resin.
So it’s gone from 5-7 to 10 boards stronger? I think you’ll be disappointed as the Hammer purple is stronger and black is at least equal to if not stronger than the pitch black. With that 20 year age gap it seems your ball speed might have nose dived, a drop to 14 or 13 might be where you need to end up. Very rarely do you see someone say a urethane is 2 arrows too strong unless lack of ball speed is a factor (not counting 2hands or no thumb).
Stacy
markkuhn

Post by markkuhn »

Oh boy.
Thanks for the input, everyone.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

You could get some help with drilling, if you have your stats then I’m sure someone could help you get a reaction you’re looking for before you drill. Urethane isn’t cheap so get your money’s worth out of them.
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

if you want to know about urethane, you need to talk to Nord about that or check out his thread on that thing, I think it is pretty long. I own a storm mixx but haven't used it in awhile. I used it for a straight ball to hook at spares and to use if it got dry but it usually never is that dry.
markkuhn

Post by markkuhn »

Okay guys and gals, can I have some coffee with my huge slice of humble pie?
The Black Hammer is nearly identical in every way to my Pitch Black. The Purple Hammer goes a little further before it hooks, it's a nice ball.
Money would have been better spent on more sessions with my coach.
Kinda disappointing, but this is how we learn.
Thanks to all.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

The Black Hammer comes out of box at 500 grit, change the surface if you want to tame it, go 800 then 1000 then 2000. Report back. Coaching is always money well spent if you have a good coach.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
markkuhn

Post by markkuhn »

TonyPR wrote:The Black Hammer comes out of box at 500 grit, change the surface if you want to tame it, go 800 then 1000 then 2000. Report back. Coaching is always money well spent if you have a good coach.
This might be worth a try, thanks.
However, this has been my wake up call to focus on learning how to move left and roll my reactive bowling balls.