"the deadzone revisited" questions

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

"the deadzone revisited" questions

Post by krava »

Sorry about making a new thread but in this thread I want to address this topic if I may from Rob M. Please no comments about no such thing as dead zone etc. Lets assume there is a deadzone and lets keep the topic on that or else please skip the thread.

quote from the beginning of the article " ...I talked about the area of burn that is created at the end of an oil pattern as modern oil-absorbing balls create an area of ultra-friction that is so dry that it quickly depletes the energy that is stored in the ball, causing it to stop hooking before getting anywhere near the intended line to the pocket."

Now if I am reading this correctly, It is saying the ball is already in the hook phase because it is saying "stop hooking". What if the ball is still sliding when it hits the end of the pattern and "NEVER" hooks or it isn't hooking when it hits the area. Maybe the wording should be ...causing the ball to stop whatever it is doing doing and thus never gets anywhere near the intedned line to the pocket?

Now I am at the part where it measures how many units of oil were in the streaks after 24 games of league play. Unless I missed something, it didn't tell what pattern was bowled on in that trial run or how many units were applied. What should have been done is multiple patterns, 1 lighter or normal houseshot pattern, #2 heavy oil pattern. A heavy oil pattern could produce more carry down because of just the sure volume of oil out there. It would have been an interesting test to see how much more oil was in the streaks with a heavier oil pattern test along with it and see the results.

Everything else makes since past that. I have no further questions on anything past the part in bolw letters saying Revisiting the Dead Zone. I am confused on the above part though a little.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: "the deadzone revisited" questions

Post by RobMautner »

krava wrote:Sorry about making a new thread but in this thread I want to address this topic if I may from Rob M. Please no comments about no such thing as dead zone etc. Lets assume there is a deadzone and lets keep the topic on that or else please skip the thread.

quote from the beginning of the article " ...I talked about the area of burn that is created at the end of an oil pattern as modern oil-absorbing balls create an area of ultra-friction that is so dry that it quickly depletes the energy that is stored in the ball, causing it to stop hooking before getting anywhere near the intended line to the pocket."

Now if I am reading this correctly, It is saying the ball is already in the hook phase because it is saying "stop hooking". What if the ball is still sliding when it hits the end of the pattern and "NEVER" hooks or it isn't hooking when it hits the area. Maybe the wording should be ...causing the ball to stop whatever it is doing doing and thus never gets anywhere near the intedned line to the pocket?

You are making the assumption that the ball is skidding all the way to the end of the pattern. With statements that you have made in the past about where you "like" to play the lanes (just inside or outside of the second arrow), your ball will encounter friction and begin to hook way before the end of the pattern. As stated, the only USBC requirement within the pattern is a minimum of 3 units of oil and I still maintain that modern reactive balls don't pay attention to any oil volume under 5 units. Rather than worrying about which phase of ball motion happens where (most bowlers cannot and do not see the phases), think about a continuum where once the ball starts to hook, it begins a process that inevitably ends up in building to peak energy and losing energy after that. Every bowlers goal is to reach the pins while the ball has peak energy. When the lanes begin to dry out from traffic at the end of the pattern, or starting in too much friction too soon, the ball will begin to lose energy by the time it reaches the pins. Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to find more oil to maintain peak energy all the way to the pins.

Now I am at the part where it measures how many units of oil were in the streaks after 24 games of league play. Unless I missed something, it didn't tell what pattern was bowled on in that trial run or how many units were applied. What should have been done is multiple patterns, 1 lighter or normal houseshot pattern, #2 heavy oil pattern. A heavy oil pattern could produce more carry down because of just the sure volume of oil out there. It would have been an interesting test to see how much more oil was in the streaks with a heavier oil pattern test along with it and see the results.

The test was done on a house shot. Keep in mind that I do not own this bowling center, nor am I involved in running it in any way. The manager of the center was just doing me a favor in running the tape after league. The volume of oil in the pattern was not shared with me, just as it isn't shared with anyone else. If you are interested in seeing the volume of the streaks in different patterns, perhaps you could ask the proprietor where you bowl to do it for you. I'm sure we would all be very interested in seeing the results.

Everything else makes since past that. I have no further questions on anything past the part in bolw letters saying Revisiting the Dead Zone. I am confused on the above part though a little.