Pre match lane reading methods

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Pre match lane reading methods

Post by kajmk »

Remembering that Systems are guidelines not immutable laws, I thought I'd start a topic where we could assemble methods.
Sort of like a cereal aisle in the super market.

I've chosen Lou's method to lead off.
Please add other methods of suggestions.

Teams could agree to test each lane in a preplanned way during warm ups instead of the everyman for himself method that prevails. Like Maximus said, we stand a better chance if we work together. Bowler 1 does shot 1, bowler 2 does shot 2, and so on.
You can bet that successful college teams have such plans regardless of knowing the pattern.

[youtube][/youtube]

One bowler does not get enough shots in a typical pre match warm up session. In fact most house bowler's do nothing to warm up their body before bowling and they certainly will not in most cases be up to game speed in those first few rolls.
I'd read and observed that some professional bowler's purposely roll a set of warm up shots at slow speeds and observe.

Lou Marquez's seven shot system to get an idea how to play a lane is the first topic in this
Turbo Tech video.

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Pre match lane reading methods

Post by bowl1820 »

Mo tells what he does to recon a lane in this podcast (it's at about the 27:25 mark):

Mo Pinel on the Let's Go Bowling show done on Jan. 20.
Duration: 50:39 m

He comments on who fits better on Motion hole vs. Double Thumb. Skip sanding. vs. going thru the grits. Symm vs. asymm. Liquid pearl vs. powdered pearl. etc.

Let's Go Bowling Show Podcast
http://www.internetradiopros.com/letsgo ... 16_lgb.mp3

He was going to post this info on his facebook page, But I don't think it ever made it on there. At least I never found it.

Direct Download:
http://internetradiopros.com/letsgobowl ... 16_lgb.mp3
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
LookingForALeftyWall

Re: Pre match lane reading methods

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

Lane reading is tricky but I like Rich Jacobson's philosophy: ...first and foremost on EVERY lane you bowl on, ALWAYS find the too much hook zone, then find the not enough hook zone. Split the difference. Then begin fine tuning with your bowling bag, super fine tune with your game changers if needed; hand position and speed.