Really!!??

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Really!!??

Post by pjape »

I just watched this video on Facebook that Belmo shared.

We hear so much about the lack of integrity in the sport, but it's usually equipment and lane conditions. I know that some in the industry never cared for him, but Bill Taylor started ranting about the pins in the sixties.

Watch this video, and you'll see just how little is needed to knock down today's modern bowling pins. Now, I know there was a good bit of luck here, but something tells me that if this rack would have been a set of pins before the double voids were added, it would have never been a strike. Come on, this is probably a six pound ball, thrown at a bit over 3 mph. That's not much power. ;)

[youtube][/youtube]

Personally, I think the USBC should make whatever changes necessary to the pins (and side walls!) that messenger pins, as well as six pins bouncing off the side wall and taking out the ten pin, are totally eliminated.

Of course, we all know this will never happen.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Really!!??

Post by RobMautner »

Since the USBC has done virtually nothing to limit the power of the modern bowling ball because of the support that the ball manufacturers give to the game, and nothing to limit the scoring environment created by blocked lane conditions to keep the proprietors happy, it is apparent that they will not do anything that will cost the industry money. Can you imagine how expensive it would be to require proprietors to replace all of their pins? Never happen. It's all about the integrity of the game, until it costs money.
pjape

Post by pjape »

RobMautner wrote:Since the USBC has done virtually nothing to limit the power of the modern bowling ball because of the support that the ball manufacturers give to the game, and nothing to limit the scoring environment created by blocked lane conditions to keep the proprietors happy, it is apparent that they will not do anything that will cost the industry money. Can you imagine how expensive it would be to require proprietors to replace all of their pins? Never happen. It's all about the integrity of the game, until it costs money.
I thought about that Rob. My first thought was to make a rule that after a certain date, all pins would have to be manufactured without the double voids. Then, as proprietors replaced their pins, they would be getting the new pins. The problem with this is, one center in Anytown, USA would have the new, harder to knock down pins, but another center across town still has the easy pins, and won't need to replace them for a few years. Hello mass migration to the second center, goodbye first center. Yes, making all the proprietors replace their pins at the same time would be a nightmare.

Of course, the bottom line is, it should have never happened in the first place.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Hmmm, I think what is ludicrous about that video is that it's being held up as a example of the lack of integrity in the sport.

That same thing could happen back in the good ole day's when everyone felt the sport had integrity.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

pjape wrote:make a rule that after a certain date, all pins would have to be manufactured without the double voids
YES!!!!!!
bowl1820 wrote:Hmmm, I think what is ludicrous about that video is that it's being held up as a example of the lack of integrity in the sport.

That same thing could happen back in the good ole day's when everyone felt the sport had integrity.
Total agree. One existential example carries little, if any, validity.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.