2 Handed bowling: Is it the Ultimate Advantage?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Re: 2 Handed bowling: Is it the Ultimate Advantage?

Post by pjape »

deanchamp wrote:
There are some wily senior bowlers in Melbourne I compete against who can do this very well too. They 'float' the ball out to the breakpoint and get it to roll up and still hit, but if I bowled in the same part of the lane the ball would either hook at my toes or be DOA at the pins. It's impressive to watch and hard to fathom, and their advantage is they don't really care who else has bowled where.

And to tie this to the OP, maybe the ultimate advantge is being able to score when others can't, no matter what your style.
So Dean, do you have any ideas just what they are doing to achieve this? What kind of equipment are they throwing in situations like this?
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

pjape wrote:
So Dean, do you have any ideas just what they are doing to achieve this? What kind of equipment are they throwing in situations like this?
They are using polished balls, slightly speed dominant with side roll and higher tilt, and incredible touch and speed control. They also have a bit of left to right with their launch angles.

The lanes here have traditionally been drier for many years, so they have worked out a way to score on these conditions without having to move left.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
CanuckGamer33

Post by CanuckGamer33 »

Hey everyone, I'm new here but I really wanted to throw my two cents in to this topic because I think there are people on both sides of the issue that are mistaken.

I don't think objecting to two handed bowling should be based on "unfair advantage" because if that's the basis for arguing against two handed bowling, you'll never succeed. And the reason that is true is because every single argument that you can make that is based on two handed bowlers having an unfair advantage can be applied to any power player, regardless of style. And inevitably the people in favor of two handed bowling are going to label it as 'whining' and it's just not possible to win that debate.

The argument should be based on the idea that bowling is fundamentally a one arm/hand sport period. Shot put is a great example of a single arm/hand sport which have rules that specifically disallow use of the other arm/hand. And yes, it is possible to use both arms to shot put and only have one hand on the ball. And I know that technically when a two handed bowler releases the ball, only one hand is touching the bowling ball but in my view, the same rules should apply to bowling that shot put has.

The reason I believe this is an important topic is that bowling only has one chance to survive and perhaps regain some of it's popularity. And that is based on what made it so popular in the past, it's universal appeal. virtually anyone, regardless of age, build, sex, health etc. can bowl and that is unique! If two handed bowling becomes the dominant style and anyone wishing to become competitive in leagues/tournaments would have to adopt that style, bowling would be doomed.