Article Research

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Article Research

Post by RobMautner »

Please answer the following questions to help with my research for an upcoming BTM article. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Do the two lanes that make up a “pair” usually play the same?

2. What element(s) determine how a particular lane will play?

3. Can you make adjustments off of a bad shot?

4. Do you ever adjust off of the shots of other bowlers on your pair?

5. Do you pay attention to pin leaves on your lanes and others to anticipate transition?

6. Do you look for patterns in the scores of individual bowlers to anticipate lane differences?

7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes?
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Article Research

Post by JMerrell »

RobMautner wrote:Please answer the following questions to help with my research for an upcoming BTM article. Thanks in advance for your help.

No
Topography
Depends on errant shot and result
Yes
5. Do you pay attention to pin leaves on your lanes and others to anticipate transition?
Yes
6. Do you look for patterns in the scores of individual bowlers to anticipate lane differences?
Individuals on my pair…Yes
7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes?
Never
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

RobMautner wrote:Please answer the following questions to help with my research for an upcoming BTM article. Thanks in advance for your help.

A lot of times they are similar.

How fast the ball skids.

No. If I do roll a somewhat errant shot, I will focus on watching the shots of others on the pair.

Yes, definitely.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. (I'm not a fan of carrying extra equipment)
gunso

Post by gunso »

most often similiar but sometimes there's a huge difference but most of the time it is maybe a board or 2 to adjust

topography and who was before you or with you on the pair

if I see hold or friction where I thought there was none I might make small adjustments to rather miss there

no, not unless I see a drastic difference in how early the ball hooked and there are many bowlers on the pair

no, I have no clue if it was the lane or the bowler
no

no, but usually have a good idea but we don,t have the same house shots in my country and the lane machine, though state of the art, isn't maintained well enough to decide beforehand
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

They can play the same so I will approach them as if they do. For me, my center's house shot is pretty consistent and the pair will start off the same. What I notice in my leagues is some bowlers tend to walk away from the ball return (drift left on the left and right on the right) making the transitions different as the night progresses. I will usually play deeper than most and will have to take this into account if I notice it.

The oil pattern is huge obviously. My center has devolved into having a ridiculous cliff outside and at the end of the pattern. The loudest complainers are biggest dumpers so they are catered to. I hate having the shot developed by someone who doesn't even bowl. Throw a Kegel pattern out and call it a day.

You can and I have. Sometimes I think I am in a good part of the lane and then I will miss my mark only to see the ball react even better. Many times I will try the line again to see if there is something there or not. Too many times I think I have to be deeper than I really have to be and with our cliffs it can lead to odd carry or 2-8-10s.

I have after a tenth frame. The other team will finish up the tenth frame and instead of the typical 10 strike balls since the last time you bowled on that lane, it can be 25 strike balls. That is a lot of traffic. So I will watch to see how my team starts the 2nd frame for any signs of advanced transition or drying of the heads.

If someone throws the ball similar to me I will look to see if they start leaving 4-pins or flat 10s. That can be a sign of transition. Occasionally I will pay attention to bowlers playing deeper than me and what their reaction/leaves are in the event I have to migrate to their area of the lane.

Not usually. I have seen too many people bowl great on hard shots and poorly on easy to think that a particular snap shot in time is any indication of lane differences based on one bowler. However, everyone knows which lanes are crap in a tournament setting when you are moving pairs. So I guess the answer is it depends.

I decide which ball I am going to start with (random plug for the Motiv Venom Shock) and will try to adjust to allow me to use the ball as long as possible. Our house shot is consistent enough where I feel comfortable to at least playing the first game with that ball. There was a time I took only one or two balls to league to prevent my second guessing the chosen ball or prevent myself from making unnecessary ball changes. Still do it to some extent.
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

They may play the same, similar, or different. Too many VARIABLES for them to play exactly the same all the time.
Topography, pattern, lane wear and tear, consistency in pattern application, humidity, temperature, etc. There are so many variables
Yes. You could be playing the incorrect part of the lane - throw an errant shot into the right part of the lane and strike. An adjustment could be made off of that. The only way this happens is with active engagement and analysis
Yes. I bowl on a team with another lefty who usually plays the same part of the lane as I do. We communicate changes that we are seeing.
Yes. See above. In addition to communication, I watch my teammate and others bowl to see what is happening on the lanes.
Not really. However, it is usually apparent when a teammate is struggling on a particular lane and there are times I will try to help them solve the issue.
I usually have a ball in mind that I will start practice with and will make a decision based on ball reaction in practice as to what ball I will start the first game with.
jazlar

Post by jazlar »

Usually pretty close, but often slight differences. Occasionally big differences.

Usually topography when the lanes are slightly different. Otherwise, something happened during oiling. In terms of how each lane plays to start, and then breakdown, there are many factors. Temperature and humidity changes are common in my area. That will affect how much they hook (or not) early. Also when they oil prior to leagues. Some leagues are right before, others are earlier in the day. Whether open bowlers were on the lanes prior to oiling also can have some affect, depending on the stripping process. The bumper pairs tend to have more push outside.

Most of the time, yes.

Not always, but I've been working more on doing so this past year. It has made a difference. Just depends if I'm paying enough attention during league.

Again, trying to do this more often. It's a work in progress.

Not really, but perhaps I should.

For league, yes. It's a house shot and it generally plays similar. In general, I feel like I can score with just about any ball I own on our house shot and I have a good idea where to line up initially with each ball. Practice will determine if I need to change my line and/or ball.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

1. Do the two lanes that make up a “pair” usually play the same? Ans: As a lefty yes, about 70% of the time.

2. What element(s) determine how a particular lane will play? Ans: Type or composition of surface, Age, Location within the house, Usage %, Time of year/Weather, HVAC/humidity/air movement, Oil type, Pattern, Oiling machine type/serviceability, and Lane Man (several variables here).

3. Can you make adjustments off of a bad shot? No, I don't.

4. Do you ever adjust off of the shots of other bowlers on your pair? Ans: If a LH, sometimes, if I am struggling.

5. Do you pay attention to pin leaves on your lanes and others to anticipate transition? Ans: Yes, more mine than others as usually I am the only LH on the pair.

6. Do you look for patterns in the scores of individual bowlers to anticipate lane differences? Ans: No.

7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes? Ans: Short answer is yes. I usually have a ball to start with depending on the house I am bowling in. I will say if I find it not working for me I will quickly move to another ball. If going to a new house/location, I do make a decision ahead of time as to what I am going to use as a benchmark ball. You have start somewhere!

Hope this helps.

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

Yes

if this is in your "house" not at another place then depends on when they are oiled and how much bowling has been done on them.

If this is outside of your house and you don't have any previous info then #1 how much oil is on the lane and how far the lane is oiled.

It is possible. If you throw a bad shot and then get in another area of the lane and then notice something in that area of the lane then you might be able to use that to your advantage. For instance The lanes are drying up and you accidently throw the ball to the left of the target and it holds then that means you can move left without any issues or have to worry about the ball like you do in the spot you are at.

Never but if I see someone's ball acting crazy (for instance they have alot of revs and they throw it right and it doesn't come back then I will adjust off that knowing that is out of bounds).

Only to my own not to someone elses.

In the scores no? In the way they play the lanes yes. If there are players playing the inside part then I know when I move inside it won't be as much oil as I am thinking and I will have to move alot.

7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes?[/quote]

Yes but that isn't a final decision. It is the ball I start off in practice with and if itsn't rolling correctly etc I will switch. Generally I have a 2 ball decision (backup plan) incase that ball isn't strong enough etc. I pick the weaker ball to start then get a stronger ball. Usually I don't have to go past that stronger ball.