Increasing average how long to go from 200 to 210 to 220 etc

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Increasing average how long to go from 200 to 210 to 220 etc

Post by krava »

How long on average did it take you once you hit 200 average to bump it up to 210 range? Anyone bump it up from 200 to 220's in 1 year? Then the other question would be of course how long did it take you to go another 10 higher.. For example How long did it take you to go to 200 to 210 to 220 to 230 if you have that high of an average. Also if you can, what happened to make you be able to boost it up like that in the first place? What did you do different when you bowled 200 to go to 210 and so on.

For me I went from 185 to 211 in one year. Multiple reasons #1 I wasn't throwing the ball correctly. I was doing a full roller style and also had a bent wrist. (I have only been doing this still less then a year throwing it finally correctly. I year won't be until Jan of 2018). #2 not being versitle I was locked at the 2nd arrow never playing left or right of it. Now I can play either way up to between 3rd and 4th. I haven't ever tried 4th because then I think I have to loft the ball over the gutter to hit it. #3 knowlege I didn't know anything about grit on the ball or about coverstock etc or how to do an adjustments.

Now to go from 211 into the 220's and beyond #1 have to be more accurate. #2 can't miss single pin spares for any reason at all. So that means slow down and come out of the ball correctly and don't sling it or twist hand to the left when coming out of it. If I don't sling it or twist my wrist I will get them every time. #3 If strikes aren't coming and leaving a single pin then change balls to get a different ball motion. Don't be stubborn and keep hitting the pocket with the same ball getting the same result. Try a small adjustment first with the ball and if you get the same result and leave the same corner pin then switch immediatley. (move 1/2 board and same pin then swtich).
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Re: Increasing average how long to go from 200 to 210 to 220

Post by Qman »

I finally averaged just over 200 last year for the first time in my 34 years of league. Was it the lane conditions? Yeah, mostly when most leagues are blocked if you have any ability whatsoever to be consistent a blocked house shot you will avg. 200 or better. My highest league avg. up till this last year was 2 years ago at 193. And the year after that I avg. 188. So why did jump to 200 last year? 2 things. 1. Changed my thumb to an oval as to get out of the ball cleaner (Thanks Mo, you da man!). 2. Coaching by my ball driller. Never had any real coaching until I hooked up with Scott Pohl and Matt McNeil one summer during a bowling camp. Two invaluable resources that simplified a couple area's that kept me from realizing potential. Move up on the approach keep your shoulders back and slow down. That's all it took.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

The first area of concern is being an excellent spare shooter, pure and simple.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-0JxYTo6VM0[/youtube]

To an extent, I'm surprised to see some bowler's who remain stuck in a plateau because they whiff single pin spares.
Probably the number 1 reason Kelly Coffman never won a PBA title.
Amelleto Monacelli, became a good spare shooter and the titles followed.
When strikes come too easy and "everybody" gets to the pocket because they are throwing into a funnel, they get deceived or lazy.
Easy conditions are like the Emperors new suit of clothes.
Also, frankly, some people are satisfied at hitting a certain plateau.

Numbers mean nothing because they can be gerrymandered by soft conditions.
The bowler should be focused on execution and consistency.
Make every shot like you are on camera.
Always ask yourself if you are proud of your last shot.
Try to look your best and execute.

Cheers.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

You most definitely do not have to loft the gutter to play the 4th arrow.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
bandit

Post by bandit »

Interesting question that made me go back and look at my previous averages. When I got back into bowling I was around a 210 average. Over the next 4 years I progressively improved to 220.

I then took 2 years where I only bowled sport shots and averaged around 200. After that we moved and sport shots weren't an easy option so it was back to house shots where I was now at 225.

Last year I ended at 229. So I've basically increased my average around 3 pins a year over 8 years.

Getting from 210 to 220 was spare shooting and consistency. I bought a plastic ball and committed to using it for virtually all spares. Spare shooting is something I constantly work on now and still have room to improve.

Going from 220 to almost 230 was more about increasing my strike %. I had a lot of heavy forward roll and slow ball speed that lent itself to rolling out and poor carry. I focused on increasing my ball speed and rotation to get more optimal entry angle.

No one thing made my average jump significantly, but just focusing on progressing and improving each year has led to steady increases. The one caveat here is that these are house shot averages, my goal now is improving consistency on flatter patterns and in tournaments. Always trying to get better keeps it interesting for me.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I am not sure about his point on using the same release on shooting spares throwing the same way as you do a strike ball. My spare ball is polyester and it does have a weight block in it. Also the weight of my spare ball is 1lb less. I might need to move up to my old 16lb cooers light ball because the weight might be throwing me off a bit. I will have to bowl 3 games using the same strike ball release and 3 games throwing the broken wrist straight out of the ball and see if there is a significant difference in how many spares I miss or make. Same thing with the heavier ball too.
pjape

Post by pjape »

When I started bowling at age 28, I improved very quickly. When I ended my first league (half season league), my average was 141. By the end of that summer, I was in the 170's. By the next summer I was in the 190's, and there's where I plateaued for several years. The biggest reason for this improvement was LOTS of practice. I was kind of obsessed with the sport for a number of years. Too bad it's gone down in recent years due to lack of practice (too expensive!) and getting older. Still, I had a lesson with a Silver Level Coach yesterday and want to see how much I can improve even though I'm an old fart. :lol:

I have to agree about spare shooting. The highest I ever averaged was a summer league in 2006 at 219. But, my spare shooting was horrendous! If I would have picked most of my make-able spares, I would have been at least 10 pins higher.

I don't think there is a real timeline as it's different for everyone. One's talent level, drive, coaching, amount of practice, etc. are going to determine how quickly the average goes up. I remember reading that Tommy Tuttle was out on Tour only five years after taking up bowling. That's VERY fast improvement.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

I agree that focusing on spare shooting will pay off. Pick a system and stay with it. Work on it during practice sessions and ignore the scores. Stay determined every week to bowl clean games and make every single pin. Leave fewer multi-pin spares (ie. control the pocket). My own preference lately is to go straight at everything, including buckets - and it's been working well.

The mental game is also critical. Dealing well with frustration and adversity and keeping a positive mental outlook will help you reach your goals, whatever they might be. Sometimes you backtrack slightly before moving forward.

I've been pretty happy with my bowling this past year. Average is down a bit from my best performances, but overall I feel like a much better bowler, and a more consistent/reliable teammate.

My overall trend is positive, but progress is slow. A lot of time spent practicing on sport conditions and that creates a little weirdness for me on the THS, but my spare shooting sure has improved! I think it will translate into a good season for 2017-2018.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
LittleTiger

Post by LittleTiger »

krava wrote:I haven't ever tried 4th because then I think I have to loft the ball over the gutter to hit it.
As a side comment, I think that it is actually possible bowl even over 5th mark without loft the ball if you are using skid/flip type of ball:
bowling_from_different_arrows.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.