League Bowling Team?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Re: League Bowling Team?

Post by Glenn »

Steve,

Your thoughts and my spreadsheet has shown me several patterns and some questionable items to address. And, as you say, this is a much better way for me to see what I have (and what I should probably recycle).

I took your ball surface references and overlaid them with the USBC recommendations (knowing that I use/like some other surfaces).

When I hid some rows to get me my 4-ball (symmetric) arsenal, I discovered than an earlier effort wasn't far off, and I got a ball-up and ball-down sequence that looks good on paper (goes from medium/heavy - solid to medium - pearl to medium/light - hybrid).

As you can see from the file, most of my stuff is drilled at my "benchmark". I tried some ball/layout recommendations like you mentioned that I got on here, but I returned to my "old ways".

Will be interesting to see if I can make changes when needed next week in leagues, or if I crash-and-burn. LOL !
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Glenn and Stevespo, your approach to the game is thorough to say the least.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I decided to resurrect this thread to discuss I thought I have about how to determine Ron Hickland's 4 Types of Ball Motion for my arsenal using DeTerminator spin times.

Oh, by the way, I am having the same frustrating experience again this year on the league I mentioned last year -- I am not going to belabor that problem...

My question is whether using the spin times of drilled balls given by the DeTerminator would determine the Ball Motion type for each ball in my arsenal. My thinking is that the DeTerminator literature lists spin time ranges for control, benchmark/average, and sharp, but does not give me anything for traction/Mid-lane. So, I wonder if the benchmark/average Spin Time could be divided between 6 and 7.5 secs to indicate Benchmark, and Spin Times between 7.5 and 9 could indicate Mid-Lane as follows?

Traction.......= Mid-Lane..= Spin Time 7.5-to-9 sec ??
Continuous...= Control....= Spin Time > 9 sec
(Benchmark) = Spin Time 6-to-7.5 sec ??
Angular........= Sharp......= Spin Time < 5.5 sec
Straight.......= Plastic for me ...

And, a second question is the literature talks about the spin times for control as being >9 to about 12 secs. I have a ball that gives a spin time of right at 15 sec, and I am not sure what that indicates on this drilled reactive pearl.

Comments and thoughts?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

The way I see a Midlane reaction is a ball that spins up early using most of its energy inside the pattern making for a softer reaction as it exists the pattern going into its roll. I would want a faster spin time than Benchmark and a dull surface.

The longer spin time is indicating that the core is not doing much for the reaction and the motion will be dominated by the coverstock and available friction from the lane.

You can't classify each ball by spin time alone.
The actual shape is going to be a combination of the layout/spin time and the surface prep.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

I definitely agree with Eric on this. I might measure the spin time, but I don't organize by spin time. I bring 3 balls that I think will compliment each other and be appropriate for the condition.

This summer, two THS leagues in two houses

control drill, polished Jackpot used mostly as a spare ball
benchmark sym, 1000/3000 Hustle HYB (possibly an IQ Tour or Primo)
benchmark asym, polished Exile (possibly Hyper Cell Skid, Hammer Black Widow Red Legend)

For most of the spring (since my Kegel trip) I've been working on softer speed and consistency with my release. Trying to add tilt as necessary and use speed/loft adjustments.

So, I can use "weaker" equipment and still get a very good ball reaction. I know for a fact that one house reduces volume over the summer and another has switched to Kegel Fire. So the more traction oriented, heavy oil stuff (Paradox, Guru) is completely dead off my hand in league.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Eric and John,

Thanks for the replies -- sorry I could not respond sooner.

I added Eric's response about spin times over 12 sec. to my note list for the DeTerminator - I did not know that.

I must have misled you on my use of spin times in ordering my arsenal. I did not intend to make it part of my high-order sort, but was looking to incorporate it in how I look at the bowling balls I have collected over time.

My summer THS leagues are equally frustrating this year. Each team has at least one grip-n-rip bowler, one using sanded aggressive urethane or solid, one mostly up the track, and one using plastic. Usually by the end of practice, the lanes have been broken down. Shots that did work in practice do not hold up well once play begins.

Add that the oil man is applying at least two different patterns on a whim, and will not divulge when and what he is using. One is his typical house pattern, and the other has more oil applied (but where and how much?).

I have been keeping track of the temperature (70s) and humidity (60%+) on the lanes as a point of interest.

Who said bowling is fun ???