UFO/Spinning Bowling Technique(Leave tips here too)

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

FakeOrpheus17
Preferred Company: Rhino and Pachinko

UFO/Spinning Bowling Technique(Leave tips here too)

Post by FakeOrpheus17 »

Some of you might ask,

•what is this UFO technique?

Well,its a technique where the ball spins 360° to the pins.

•How do i do this technique?

First,get into your normal bowling position.Then,aim at the first arrow or at the pockets of the first three pins.Straighten your arm and ensure that your whole hand is behind the ball(See picture below,and you need to zoom to the hand)As you get into your second step drop the ball and swing.Don't do anything on your 3rd step.On your 4th step,turn the ball with your hands doing a full 360°.Lastly,the ball should have come out and rotate 360° to the pins.If it goes to the left or right,your swing is inconsistent.Ensure that your hand is up high with its palm facing the lane,as if you're attempting to high-five your teammates.

•What ball should i use?

I recommend using any Polyester(aka Plastic) balls that weigh between 10 to 13 pounds.

•Is this technique popular?

It is extremely popular in Taiwan but not in other parts of the world as far as i know.

•What gears do i need?

All you need is your basic bowling equipment,except the hand/wrist gear.

The higher the "speed" of turning your hands the higher the rev of the ball.If you have tips or questions (please don't criticize me hardly) leave it below ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: UFO/Spinning Bowling Technique(Leave tips here too)

Post by krava »

After further thought on this, I wouldn't ever try it. I don't see a real use for it in the real world here. I haven't even tried to duplicate it myself. a UFO spinner's only advantage I see lies on a very dry lane. I have yet to see any lane that dry this year or any year I can remember where I would have to resort to something like this to play.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

I have drilled a few balls for this technique and done some coaching of it as well. This is what I have done.

Use a light ball, 10 or 11 pound is typical. With that weight you are really restricted to polyester. If you can get a higher category ball get one that is not very aggressive and stick to a surface that does not react to the lane surface very much. As for layouts, you want the ball to skid for as long as possible.

I have always drilled the thumb at 0 0 because the ball should start to rotate around the thumb before the ball leaves the hand. The finger holes are drilled to the second joint (conventional) and given a lot of reverse pitch (away from the palm). The hand should stay on top of the ball, sometimes called 'handbagging the ball' and the hand should start to rotate around the thumb hole during the forward swing. The fingers will leave the ball first.

Because ball rotation does not have much of an effect and the ball travels straight, lane conditions are not really a major consideration.

The bowlers I have coached for this style have been able to reach their regular average quickly.

Only one ball is used.
coldman228
Preferred Company: Dexter

Post by coldman228 »

I am new here, but I play Spinner/UFO for almost 10 years. I've never played in a real league and never contributed to any bowling forum. My avg is not high either, approximately 170 a game. I don't know if my point is valid to share. But I do have lot of lesson about Spinner/UFO style, is any of you want me to share.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

coldman228 wrote:I am new here, but I play Spinner/UFO for almost 10 years. I've never played in a real league and never contributed to any bowling forum. My avg is not high either, approximately 170 a game. I don't know if my point is valid to share. But I do have lot of lesson about Spinner/UFO style, is any of you want me to share.
Welcome to you coldman228.
Knowledge sharing is always welcome. This forum has many readers that are not members. Helping people is always a good thing, whether it is 1 or millions.
Versatility is a tremendous asset.
In baseball, the more types of pitches one can throw, the better.

From my perspective, I welcome your contributions and willingness to share.
Please do!

Thank you in advance!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
crashin12x
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 7/8"
Speed: 15.7 MPH Off Hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Hammer, Ebonite and MoRich

Post by crashin12x »

coldman228 wrote:I am new here, but I play Spinner/UFO for almost 10 years. I've never played in a real league and never contributed to any bowling forum. My avg is not high either, approximately 170 a game. I don't know if my point is valid to share. But I do have lot of lesson about Spinner/UFO style, is any of you want me to share.
Welcome Coldman228!

You're experience and knowledge regardless whether you have been doing leagues, actively competing or enjoyed the game altogether will be a value to this forum.

I am from Asia and just witnessed these styles in action in a "real competition" especially from those coming from Taiwan and Macau.

I also have some friends who are trying it out so this may also be help for them.

Cheers!
LHB
PAP 5" over LEFT x 7/8" over UP
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*