Confession: I am a hard headed ***** whatever

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Confession: I am a hard headed ***** whatever

Post by krava »

I was going to make sure I didn't mess up today and use a ball that was burning up. I started with the rocketship. I stood more right then usual (20 and threw at 10 and slow and it struck). I took my match with me just to try it out. I stood on 19 threw down 8 and it slid all the way and just tad bit hook at the end. I then took a dull 2000 gritt bad intentions and threw it and got tiny bit of hook but Oil rings all over the thing. (i threw it wrong the first time). I then took the guru supreme I used yesterday and tried it down 2nd arrow and slid all the way down and tiny bit of hook at the end. (missed pocket). I grabbed the rocket ship and another strike. I grabbed the Brunswick BTU to see if I could throw it with tape in the hole because it is a tab bit too big. It slid down the lane, tad bit hook at the end. (tad bit meaning 2-3 boards). I took 9 balls out today just to see how some of these things rolled as I was going to play more in the middle.

So lets see everytime I used the rocketship I struck so I thought I was lined up. League starts then I grab the rocketship and then struck, 2nd frame threw it and it barely made it back to the pocket and then struck again. Then things went to hell. I am not sure how this ball hooked a few more boards then the other balls. It confused the hell out of me thinking that the lanes did have a little hook in them. What happend was that the oil machine went out of control again and it was as if 50-55 feet of oil out on the lanes. Everyone's ball slid all the way down. After 2nd frame nothing I had would get to the pocket, it would get close but still several boards from being flush in the pocket. I tried to force it so bad, slowing speed still nothing. I did the same thing I did 4 weeks ago when that machine malfunctioned again. The guy that bowls with me on Monday, which is averging over 200+ on Monday shot 275 or so for 1st 2 games and then ended up in the mid 400's. He throws the ball hard and it snaps back with alot of revs on it and pins usually fly all over but he missed to the right so much tonight. Another guy that throws the ball in my area (he shot 640's when I shot 739 did really bad as his ball slid all the way down, he did try to go up the middle a bit but he wasn't good at it.)

Long story short, I got pissed and said well lets try an experiment. I was suppose to play up the middle tonight and I will do that. I threw a practice ball in 10th frame after the spare. I am not sure where I stood. It took me about 4-5 shots and moving to figure out where to stand. I used my most agressive ball. Hammer Scandal dulled with a maroon scotchbrite pad. The last time I used the ball was back in May when I practiced on the National pattern. Every time I threw the ball, I had 5-7 oil rings (3-4 inches of flare or so.) The oil rings were all the way around the ball and think and dripping off of it. I had to use the shammy every time. To get lined up, I stood on 31 and threw mostly up and accross 13 and out to 10 at most and make sure I had some finger on the top to get it to tilt back. There was no miss room, miss a board right and the ball wouldn't come back. I left 4-5 3 pin bucket pins (subtract the double wood out). I picked it up everytime with the straight ball. I didn't trust my hook ball at all so I went straight at the spares. I even missed a 1,2,4,5 I missed the head pin and got the others (used the hook ball moving 2 boards right). I missed a 10 pin in the last game because I lifted up on the ball as I do on the strike balls instead of just flattening out the release so it went to the left of the 10 as I pulled it. I did average 200+ the last two games after getting 171 the first frame.

Why does it take so long to figure out where to play and what is going on? Atleast this time I didn't wait 2 games I waited 1 game before moving. I was going to get pissed and go more diagonally with it to the pocket but going up the middle seemed to be working.

The hammer scandal drilled with max hook and backend with a weight hole in it, never jumped at the head pin. It hooked about 4-5 boards or so at the very end and gave me very good count when I threw it right. I only left 1 10 pin and 1 7 pin but alot of shots didn't hit the 1-3.

Anyone else get tricked like I did tonight, thinking the lanes were going to play 1 way and then 3 shots into it, everything changes? What I think happend was those straight balls carried that carry down toward the pins and messed things up. I even had to wipe off my spare ball as I never get oil on that thing. I didn't listen to the coach because the lanes were so messed up I just threw straight at the 7 and 4 and got them. Straight takes the entire lane out of play no matter how messed up it is.
ChrisTan
Positive Axis Point: TBD soon
Speed: TBD soon
Axis Tilt: TBD
Axis Rotation: TBD

Re: Confession: I am a hard headed ***** whatever

Post by ChrisTan »

If you havent already analyse your own video you posted, you should Krava. There's a giant hole between your ball and your sliding leg. People here might assume you're sliding on 20 and the ball's being set on or about the 16th board going to the 10 board

http://imgur.com/a/OBMJf

If you dont dedicate yourself into fixing the basics, all of the concern you have that we all read about would be irrelavant
Chris
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

ChrisTan wrote:If you havent already analyse your own video you posted, you should Krava. There's a giant hole between your ball and your sliding leg. People here might assume you're sliding on 20 and the ball's being set on or about the 16th board going to the 10 board

http://imgur.com/a/OBMJf

If you dont dedicate yourself into fixing the basics, all of the concern you have that we all read about would be irrelavant
I completely agree with you. From what I have seen things that are wrong
#1 right foot not going directly over left foot on first step.
#2 not enough side tilt at the start
#3 that big Giant gap as you say (completely agree with that). Someone said to turn my top of my body or pull it toward the left so my head is over my left foot, that will bring the ball closer to the right.

That is one reason I got a coach for to see if I need to work on things and how to work on things. I know I got problems here and there. I need to figure out how to find the biggest scoring part of the lane that gives me the most forgiveness. I think that is what Rob M is trying to get me to do. The
problem is that I see potential problems for splits as I get closer to the middle. Most of the time right now I might see 1 split in 3 games. The more I move to the middle the more I will split. When I split there is almost no chance of picking it up. I did leave the 2 4 10 yesterday and picked it up though. That one is probably an easy one since you just have to bascially hit the 4 pin to pick it up.

As for fixing the bascis, I am not sure how to start fixing it. I think first lose some weight then work on things? OR what do you suggest?
ChrisTan

Post by ChrisTan »

krava wrote:
That is one reason I got a coach for to see if I need to work on things and how to work on things.
Have you take session with the coach yet ?
Chris
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

ChrisTan wrote:
Have you take session with the coach yet ?
he tells some about his session in his thread Easy Houses / Bad Coaches / rev rate calculation etc:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12833
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Bowlin4Beers

Post by Bowlin4Beers »

krava wrote: As for fixing the bascis, I am not sure how to start fixing it. I think first lose some weight then work on things? OR what do you suggest?
Drills are a wonderful thing and help break down all the aspects of bowling into easier to learn little bits. No step, one step, backup etc. They certainly helped my game but it was slow going and minor. Having an experienced coach there with you to see what you can't see yourself is invaluable.

Once I started taking lessons we saw a huge improvement very quickly.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Hello Krava, I am currently at Kegel training center in Lake Wales FL with a group of kids from the youth league I coach in Puerto Rico. I suggest you schedule a lesson in Kegel, it will be your best investment in bowling ever, better than buying 20 balls, they will answer all your questions and teach you the why's and the how's... if they can't help you then no one can... over and out...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Isn't the price of kegal like $700 for 1 day or like $300 for a few hours?

I think what I need to practice on is to go out on used lanes. Buy 1 game bowl on 2 lanes. Try to figure out where to play and quick. Then after the game is over, move down a pair. Bowl on 4 different pair of lanes to learn how to adjust to what is going on out on the lane. Thursday, it took me until the last frame of the first game to figure out what was going on and where to play.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/lesson-pricing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well worth the price in my opinion, one pays around $200 for a new high performance ball, I know you know cause you got plenty, sometimes we spend way too much on equipment thinking it will better our game but knowledge on how to train and good coaching are way more valuable for the price.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

krava wrote: The guy that bowls with me on Monday, which is averging over 200+ on Monday shot 275 or so for 1st 2 games and then ended up in the mid 400's. He throws the ball hard and it snaps back with alot of revs on it and pins usually fly all over but he missed to the right so much tonight.
Do you mean that the first two games only totaled 275?
Last edited by bowl1820 on February 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by VLe »

TonyPR wrote:one pays around $200 for a new high performance ball
Sorry for the offtopic but consider yourself as lucky one. If you buy a high performance ball here in Finland from the PSO, the ball can cost EUR350. That is around 370USD. :D

One of the reasons I started to drill my own gear and importing them from another countries. Cuts the costs in half and I'll have total control over it.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

The guy's first 2 games totaled 276 I think. It was 120 and then 156. The guy shot 600+ monday. I told him to play more to the left but he told me that if he went to the left his ball would hook off the lane. How can your ball hook off the lane when the lane is flooded 50+ feet. He didn't want to listen so I let him do what he was doing. Every shot he threw went right of the headpin. He threw several gutter balls to the right too. He is a "cranker" bowler. I think all he can bowl on is house shots though. He did bowl really bad one last monday. 141 150 .. before hitting a 200. If the lanes aren't "perfectly normal house shot, he can't do much:. He also bowls in every tournament he can and plans to go to Nationals etc. He said his friends say he will score high over there because of the way he throws the ball. I don't know how to describe it but the only other guy on their team to do good is one that takes the ball throws it with no thumb in it and it spins and alot of revs on it. He threw it slower and almost in the middle of the lane and it barely hooked at the very last few feet. He picked up alot of 6 10's because his ball just slid down and didn't over hook. He shook his head as he couldn't believe he got it because usually if someone threw a ball like that it would miss left of that 6 10 but since it never grabbed the lane, he got away with it.

The kegal prices is what I have seen before $600 for full day $375 for half a day. I don't know a group to go with. Group of 5 half day goes down to $195 a person.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

You might have missed this one:
http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... SAMPLE.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

20% off Kegal Training group session. I got that by going to see what the scores are for the 2017 national thing which I don't see any scores.
ChrisTan

Post by ChrisTan »

Why would you learn to play the lines so much when you're execution is flawed? If you don't have proper and consistent execution of your shots, you might get wrong feedback from the line you are playing. If I'm a citizen of the US, regardless where, I would save up and make it to kegel for professional help. It's well worth it
Chris
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

Equipment is the most minimal factor when it comes to bowling when you think about it. I can take an old blue hammer, plug and re-drill it to fit my hand and I can beat a lot of house bowlers with it. Not saying I'm that good, but it's because my fundamentals are solid enough they are repeatable. The one thing I would say to not copy from my game is my backswing. While it's high there is a bit of a figure 8 to it as well. It took a while for me to realize there was a loop in my swing until I saw myself on camera. It's diminished but if I feel my swing get behind me I simply push away a little left and for the most part it gets me back in alignment.

Shoes are an important part as they pertain to footwork. From the looks of it you spent good money on a quality pair of shoes. Shoes that are not only comfortable but fit your game will improve your footwork tremendously. I started like everyone else with the ricky from dexter. That was 16 years ago. As I got older I've had a pair of brown sst 5, the gold and black sst 4, the blue and black sst 8 se, and now finally and hopefully my last pair for a while the sst 6 lz. I got the 6 since I have flat wide feet and I feel the wider profile of the 6 while not major should help my stability a touch.

Timing is of course everything. As your bowling count each step you take in your head while focusing on your target. It sounds weird, but trust me if you know which step you are on your timing will get a touch better. Also your rhythm gets better and your scores will as well. While the ball is a minor factor in your final results, a properly fitted ball will increase your timing that much more. I use forward pitch when I should use reverse pitch. The reason is that I'm trying to lessen my grip pressure. Less grip pressure means I can have a nice soft hand at the bottom of the swing and not force the ball.