Board index » General Forums » General Bowling

Post subject: trying to get better
 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:59 am Post Number: #1 Post

Reputation Power: 1
After taking the summer off to work I figured the new season would be a good chance to change my game.My Wed.nite leeague I decided to bowl with my old release and approach,this is a serious league and I didn't want to hurt my ave.My average has dropped from 175 to 163 in 4 weeks!
My Thurs.nite league I changed my approach to resting my weight on my right leg and pushing away as I transfer my weight from my right leg to my left,I read about this here in a post Mo had written giving advice to a bowler with timing issues such as mine,I was still using my old release(straight up the side of the ball,rev dominant) My ave. is 170 after 4 weeks
My Sunday nite league I have kept the new approach but use a release that is much more under the ball,I began trying to change my axis tilt and rotation last season but with my mechanics in memory it was hard to be consistant at it,my average after 4 weeks is a 186.
I have not checked any of my averages until now and was sure I was bowling poor in all 3 leagues but the league I actually have the hardest time with my release in(have a hard time remembering to not rev the crap out of it)is where I'm doing best.will take video Sat.after the youth bowl and check axis tilt,rotation,rev rate and speed.I did have to make surface adjustments to the ball I throw on Sunday due to the ball not rolling soon enough an bad pin deflection first week.Will post my new stats this weekend

In the bag
Storm Prodigy
Morich Awesome Finish
Storm Reign
Hammer Jigsaw
Columbia White dot

Post subject: Re: trying to get better
 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:40 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Trusted Source

Reputation Power: 3
IMO, at your average level you're working on the wrong thing. To improve, concentrate on your accuracy and especially your spare shooting. When you start hitting around the pocket regularly, even if the ball doesn't have a lot of hitting power, you'll leave spares that are easier to convert and your average will come up. -- JohnP

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:09 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Trusted Source

Reputation Power: 3
RedRiverCoach wrote:
My Thurs.nite league I changed my approach to resting my weight on my right leg and pushing away as I transfer my weight from my right leg to my left,I read about this here in a post Mo had written giving advice to a bowler with timing issues such as mine

That sounds like the shift/bowl technique you're describing. This is the same technique I employ, but I'm starting to work on moving to 5 steps. You should not be moving the ball at all as you transfer the weight from your right foot to your left foot. Once you start to bring your right foot forward, that would be when you want to move the ball, so the ball moves with your right foot. Assuming you're right handed of course.

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:24 am Post Number: #4 Post

Reputation Power: 1
thanks Kelly.just watched your video and I can see what you are saying,after taking summer off I actually feel more comfortable making changes but in my absence the house resurfaced the lanes,changed the shot and changed the brand of oil,wow totally different than last year.I'll keep bowling and just try to get more pins falling.

In the bag
Storm Prodigy
Morich Awesome Finish
Storm Reign
Hammer Jigsaw
Columbia White dot

Board index » General Forums » General Bowling