Adjustment Advice

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Adjustment Advice

Post by pjape »

Last night I finally started bowling better, mainly due to getting better at keeping my shoulder quiet (as Mark Baker would put it). However, I struggled in game three with adjusting.

I started out with my Hyper-Cell at 1000g, going straight up the nine board. Going into game two I only had to move my feet one board, but at the end of the game, I needed to make another adjustment. I started game three by moving my feet and target a board left. I was shocked (at first) when my ball went Jersey and I left a six pin. Then it hit me that I moved into a part of the lane that had a lot of traffic on it. So, since I went Jersey, I made a four and two left, only to leave a 4-5 split.

I ended up going back out to straight up nine with my Rumble (also at 1000), but due to two missed spares, only shot 183, and 655 for three.

The biggest problem is, you never know when you're going to be have a lot people in the track area until you start. Some weeks you do, some you don't. Since I can't afford more balls (I have 3 for league-the other is a Pitch Blue), I have to have my equipment ready surface wise before I get there. Yea, last night I wish I would have had my Hyper-Cell at maybe 500 so I could have jumped inside and been able to carry in the oil.

I'd like a suggestion on what surface I should have on my stuff. When they are at the same surface, I generally have to move 6/3 left from where I play with the Rumble. Now, when I experimented with this, it was not on a fresh shot and didn't have a very discernible oil line like in league. When they oil the lanes in the evening, they only do the lanes that have leagues on them, so I usually have to play pretty deep (for me!) when I practice.

I just don't want to get caught again not having equipment to handle the breakdown, which can be very different from week to week.

Thanks!!
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: Adjustment Advice

Post by JohnP »

Each week check the schedule for the next week and find out what team you'll be bowling. The schedule will be located with the standing sheet. Watch that team some during the night to see what part of the lane they play and make your surface adjustments before bowling the next week. -- JohnP
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I am not trying to give advice but trying to understand. How can you play up the 9 with such a strong ball at such a low gritt? What speed where you throwing at?
pjape

Post by pjape »

krava wrote:I am not trying to give advice but trying to understand. How can you play up the 9 with such a strong ball at such a low gritt? What speed where you throwing at?
Well, I was pretty surprised myself. I wanted to try straight down ten, in the oil, and see if it worked. I actually missed right a few shots, but they carried, so I moved my feet a board right and went straight up 9 and it worked. I don't throw it real hard (14.5 to 15 on the monitors), but I was keeping my axis rotation pretty low, like WRW. To put things in perspective, the last time I was open bowling, using the same ball at the same grit, I was crossing the arrows at 16 and sending it out to about 9.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Ok reread what you wrote again. I missed the part where you said in open bowling you were throwing it accross 16 out to 9 etc, so I guess you know how to play left. Not sure what to tell about that now except use a matte ball not that pearl thing.

This is what I wrote before I read that part about 16 out to 9. It could help someone else.
I will try some advice on this. You say that you don't ever know when you will have alot of people bowling in the track area or not. You have to be able to bowl anywhere you need to bowl. I don't remember the post but if you had alot of people in your track area, you said you played to the right of them which is the 8 board or whatever you played and you had pretty good luck. Then that place dried up and you had to move left, right into where the mess was. If you want to be good, you need to be able to play inside of that (which is what I am working on ). If people are burning the 10 board up, you need to be able to bowl 12 board, maybe even the 15 board and move left. If they are all buring the 10 board up, there is definetely oil to the left.

You could do what you did and move back right with a weaker ball, you can definetely hit the pocket, but since the oil is gone there, the hit will be very weak because it won't get into a good roll because it will be running in so much friction to start with.

What you should have done was be like "ok guys let me show you something", jumped 6-7 boards left or something and your target 4-5 boards left and then bowled in that place. That is really the only option you got. The other is to bowl in the burnt up area and have weak hits and the ball bouncing toward the 9 in the pindeck leaving alot of 10s.

I just reread what you wrote. Maybe the 500 gritt could have worked but there are other solutions. I used my storm rocketship tonight. I was throwing in major oil (no one was using that area). I stood at 28 and threw accross 12-13 slowing the ball down to 16mph and I made it back to the pocket. I was throwing the ball like a stroker. Revs were only 200-250 at max. I didn't have to spin the ball at the moment of release like a tweener to increase it to 300+. The ball surface is 3000 gritt with Sheen (which is a light film of polish). The ball you were using is a Pearl ball I think so it does travel down the lane, you would have to be using a matte finish ball I would think. The pitch blue would have been good going up 9.

If I am wrong someone correct me since no one answered this guy's question.
pjape

Post by pjape »

krava wrote:Ok reread what you wrote again. I missed the part where you said in open bowling you were throwing it accross 16 out to 9 etc, so I guess you know how to play left. Not sure what to tell about that now except use a matte ball not that pearl thing.

This is what I wrote before I read that part about 16 out to 9. It could help someone else.
I will try some advice on this. You say that you don't ever know when you will have alot of people bowling in the track area or not. You have to be able to bowl anywhere you need to bowl. I don't remember the post but if you had alot of people in your track area, you said you played to the right of them which is the 8 board or whatever you played and you had pretty good luck. Then that place dried up and you had to move left, right into where the mess was. If you want to be good, you need to be able to play inside of that (which is what I am working on ). If people are burning the 10 board up, you need to be able to bowl 12 board, maybe even the 15 board and move left. If they are all buring the 10 board up, there is definetely oil to the left.

You could do what you did and move back right with a weaker ball, you can definetely hit the pocket, but since the oil is gone there, the hit will be very weak because it won't get into a good roll because it will be running in so much friction to start with.

What you should have done was be like "ok guys let me show you something", jumped 6-7 boards left or something and your target 4-5 boards left and then bowled in that place. That is really the only option you got. The other is to bowl in the burnt up area and have weak hits and the ball bouncing toward the 9 in the pindeck leaving alot of 10s.

I just reread what you wrote. Maybe the 500 gritt could have worked but there are other solutions. I used my storm rocketship tonight. I was throwing in major oil (no one was using that area). I stood at 28 and threw accross 12-13 slowing the ball down to 16mph and I made it back to the pocket. I was throwing the ball like a stroker. Revs were only 200-250 at max. I didn't have to spin the ball at the moment of release like a tweener to increase it to 300+. The ball surface is 3000 gritt with Sheen (which is a light film of polish). The ball you were using is a Pearl ball I think so it does travel down the lane, you would have to be using a matte finish ball I would think. The pitch blue would have been good going up 9.

If I am wrong someone correct me since no one answered this guy's question.
Just a quick note, the Hyper-Cell is NOT a pearl ball. In reference to your last paragraph, I'd LOVE to be able to bowl in a condition that allowed this kind of a shot. Where I bowl, to play this line in all the heavy oil, you'd better have at least a 350 rev rate, preferably higher. My former anchor can do this, but he has the hand to do it. He has the modern open handed release and gets a ton on the ball with little effort. Yea, maybe if I was 30 like him I could do this (last week shot 298,290, 237!), but at 53, no way.

Tonight I'll have even less surface on my ball, so we'll see what happens. We're playing the bye team, so that should help a lot.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

pjape wrote: I started out with my Hyper-Cell at 1000g, going straight up the nine board. Going into game two I only had to move my feet one board, but at the end of the game, I needed to make another adjustment. I started game three by moving my feet and target a board left. I was shocked (at first) when my ball went Jersey and I left a six pin. Then it hit me that I moved into a part of the lane that had a lot of traffic on it. So, since I went Jersey, I made a four and two left, only to leave a 4-5 split.
Our lanes often have a lot of practice/pre-bowling on them, so adjustments are tricky. You may start in a productive spot, only to make a small move and discover that the next zone is completely worn out. Small moves off that are slow and do not guarantee the reaction you're looking for. A big jump (and big guess) may put you into an even worse situation.

Susie Minishew has a book and article on using your 10 minutes of practice to both warm up and line up. This is really critical. Get in the habit of surveying the lane and trying to build a mental map of where you have hold and friction - before you begin competition.

You're essentially playing a couple of established targets/angles with a benchmark ball and noting the reaction. Don't spend your practice tossing strikes up the 2nd arrow. Use that time to see what is available across a range of targets and breakpoints.

Whoever Finds It First, Wins
Warm Up Once, Line Up Forever

Of course, this map is going to change during league - so pay attention to who you are bowling with, where they are rolling and what their ball reaction is like. Talk to your teammates. I see so many people playing with their phones, card games, bar runs, etc - and then they are shocked when they move into somebody's track and their shot goes down the drain.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

It definitely helps to see where everyone else is playing. Me personally I like to play the lanes straighter but can hook the ball since I have the hand to do it. So I'll start out with my IQ tour and stay right of everyone else. However if the lanes open up I'll ball down to stay right or simply just stay with the tour and increase rotation to get it to make the corner.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

No trying to hijack post but what about this. I am in a league where 80% of the people use plastic balls and throw them right down the middle of the lanes. Today for instance, there was one lady in her 80s, 2 women in there 70's, 2 more in there 60's. a man in his 70s etc. All these people but 1 had straight balls throwing them slowly down the middle of the lane. I didn't want to try to bowl too far left because I will hit all that oil being pushed down to the front of the pins. I wanted to stay right of all that mess. How would you play that shot?
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

krava wrote: I didn't want to try to bowl too far left because I will hit all that oil being pushed down to the front of the pins. I wanted to stay right of all that mess. How would you play that shot?
Sanded ball right up the middle on top of them, right most area of where they play, probably up 12-13-14 area.
Roll it, dont turn it and have good touch to the pocket.

Shots missed in = Bad
On target = Probably strike
Miss right = Likely check early and hookset to the pocket, maybe strike, maybe flat 10 if rolled.

I've been doing it for about 6 weeks and have been averaging 235.
Good practice for long sport patterns since its tighter but a bit more forgiving.
pjape

Post by pjape »

MegaMav wrote:
Sanded ball right up the middle on top of them, right most area of where they play, probably up 12-13-14 area.
Roll it, dont turn it and have good touch to the pocket, maybe strike, maybe flat 10 if rolled.

Shots missed in = Bad
On target = Probably strike
Miss right = Likely check early and hookset to the pocket.

I've been doing it for about 6 weeks and have been averaging 235.
Good practice for long sport patterns since its tighter but a bit more forgiving.
MegaMav, what advice would you have when miss right is high in the pocket? Last night I found the first two very true; I had very little yank area, and when I was on target, my carry was excellent. Unfortunately, I was not executing very well and kept missing right, which resulted in anything from a solid four pin to a big split.

I know I'm on track with a lot of surface, as I think I only had one weak ten last night. Do you think my results from missing right might have been a bit too much surface? I'm really not sure what I had. I wanted to use my 360 Siaair, but discovered I didn't have one. So, I did a 240, 30 seconds a side, four sided, followed by 15 seconds a side with 500, then 1000.
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

pjape wrote:MegaMav, what advice would you have when miss right is high in the pocket?
Well, you can either not miss right, or move a board left and not miss right by a lot.
Remember, the further away from the pocket you get to the left with a shallow angle, the worse your carry will be flush and light.

I stay where I am until the middle of the lane reads.
Some blocks are heavier than others, its possible to not move at all, possibly even move RIGHT if you've got someone yanking it off the corner enough, making it tighter and tighter.

Its an exercise in sharpness and shot making. Its not a line to be mindless on.