What should have been done in this instance.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

What should have been done in this instance.

Post by krava »

During practice yesterday everything looked great. I had 4 in a row on the first 4 balls thrown. Ball motion was great. I used different balls everything. Start league. Usually I can throw down the 8 board all night long. Have been doing so since league started and had no problems. During the first few frames I noticed that the ball (Storm match pearl) looked like it wasn't hitting the pocket very well. I had 2 shots that I threw a board or so left with more speed and it ended up striking. The 4th frame I threw the ball hit the pocket on the left side and left a 10 pin but the ball looked week (no roll phase) and probably exited 9 pin. (like it bounced off [ball is 15lbs and thrown probably 16-17mph]) Then next frame on right side, I hit my spot with the right speed and the ball hooked like it should have, hit the pocket flush. I didn't like how the ball finished into the pocket (no roll phase) and it didn't look it had momentum at the end. The ball exited the 9 pin and left a 7 10.

So 2 questions there:
#1 why did that ball "die" so soon into league when it has always worked the entire night.
#2 Should I have moved to a more matte finish like the match solid and tried that (I still don't like the way the ball rolls).

I usually stand on 18 or 19 (depending on how much the ball breaks), My hand position is a handshake release. Thumb at 10pm, middle finger at 3pm other finger 4pm. Hand stays that away the entire release. This is what I call the "no hand release"

Now I figured since this ball died so early, the inside was off limits so i pulled out a hammer bad intentions hybrid that I just used hook again on and a burgandy scotch brite pad. I practiced before hand and stood at 23 and threw at 10 and it was a good ball. So this time, I did the same, I threw the ball with a proper swing and not "gun it" and the ball jumped a bit at the end and went through the nose and gave me a partial big 4. (I had very good ball roll on that shot). The next shot I threw it harder and I didn't "spin" the ball properly and had bad ball motion (ball never turned over and very slight hook) and hit the pocket or almost hit the pocket light and left 6 10 and then threw a spare and was off a board and missed it to the left about 2 inches.

Now when I throw the bad intentions hybrid ball, I start with my fingers at 9 and 10 pm and my thumb is straight up as in a 12pm position. I keep the same position until at the very end. Once my hand passes my ankle then I start to "come through the ball" I then pull my fingers through the ball making a slight arc sort of spinning the ball before it hits the lane. WHen I do that my ball gets probably another 100 revs on it. If I don't come through the ball with my fingers at the end then the ball doesn't have good ball motion (doesn't start its hook phase in the midlane) and never really turns over.

Now before you say why do I have to change the way I throw the ball, i will tell you this. I had the coach guy there on Monday. I threw the bad intentions hybrid the same way same mark as I did the match pearl and he was like "what the hell is wrong with that ball. It is like the ball reads the lane VERY VERY late". Is what he said.

So anyway go to the next game. First 6 balls I threw were flush dead in the pocket very good ball roll, I "gunned" one or two of them by pulling the ball to the left a board or so but the speed was around 18-20mph and that is 16lb ball. 7th ball missed left 2 boards hit semi brooklyn left a 9 pin. 8th ball, I slowed it down a bit but didn't come threw the ball correctly, hit the pocket left a 10 pin ball (dead ball roll and ball exited 9 pin). 8th and 9th ball threw really well and struck. 10the ball was on target left a 10 pin somehow etc but ended up with 255. 167 was first game after 3 opens.

I really like throwing the ball like I did in the 2nd game. Throwing 2nd arrow and putting some spin on the ball. The problem is when I do that. I MUSCLE the ball a whole lot. Its like at the very end I try to put extra on it (which I do) and ends up hurting my shoulder. My shoulder really hurt after the last time yesterday. That 1 game I threw the ball like that sort of started it. It has been 6 months since I have thrown the ball like that though. Since it has been that long I am extremly rusty at that. Last yeat it took me months to finally learn how to "put spin" on the ball. If I "V" grip the ball I throw the ball around 150 or so revs. If I throw the ball with no hand, the ball is 175-200 or so revs. IF I come through the ball I get 300+ or so. The problem with the later is a swing issue. The other 2 I can do no muscle and very relaxed swing 70% of the time. 90% of the time with the later is a forced swing.

There was a lesson learned last night though. I saw a "bad problem" before hand and didn't do anything about it. I saw the ball and immediatley though it had poor ball finish. There was no roll phase. It was still in the hook phase when it hit the pins and weak and then bounced when it hit the pins).

So to some all that up. I threw about 3 balls with the storm match pearl and then it lost its roll phase. It was fresh oil what could be the case?

There is good and bad with throwing the ball down the 8 board. If I am throwing the ball good, I NEVER throw a brooklyn shot the entire league. I am within 2 boards of the target most times. If I do hit the 10 board, then I usually "gun the shot" with alot more speed and still hit the pocket. Sometimes I miss and hit 6 or 5 and the ball doesn't come all the way back. I can sometimes carry light shots, high shots etc. I would estimate carry to be 80% or close to it. Throwing the other ball and putting spin on it and having the ball finish correctly carry is alot higher. The downside is that if I pull the ball left, I could split or go brooklyn. If I don't come through the ball then the ball will hit light or not even hit the pocket even if I hit the mark.

Throwing down the 8 board with no hand, I have to worry about these things: #1 hit the mark #2 don't force the swing.

With the other way #1 hit the mark, #2 make sure my hand is spread out enough at the start. #3 make sure I come through the ball at the proper time #4 don't force the swing. The problem is I am more concerned with #3 and I forget about #4.