2 handed bowler or.....

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

2 handed bowler or.....

Post by turbotwister »

With my thumb issues every so often due to whatever it be , such as warm, cold, humidity and whatever is being thrown my way, i'm thinking of going to 2 hands or most likely a Tom Daugherty style of bowling,where he cradles his ball in his wrist. After bowling 1 hand bowling for many years ,has anybody changed from 1 to 2 handed bowling?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: 2 handed bowler or.....

Post by TonyPR »

How high is your one handed backswing? It will most likely be lower with the no thumb style be it with a one or a two handed approach and you may need to learn the corresponding timing, this is major surgery but doable. If you have a large enough hand you can probably do the one handed no thumb style, my hand is small (4" span) so a two handed approach suits me better. Your average will drop and it will take a while to get it back to where it was but if you stick with it and dedicate enough no-scoring practice your rewards will be a clean release without having to worry about your thumb and most likely a higher rev rate. With the higher rev rate may come the need for more ball speed and/or some equipment changes. Speed does not come easy at first with either of the two techniques but as your timing gets better your swing will become more fluid and your speed will pick up. It's a journey, I have been going at it two handed seriously for about a year and I still suck although improvement has been slow but steady. The most important thing is that you are having fun so if you enjoy any of the two styles and you are in good shape (especially for two handed) go for it and have fun cause once you get it exploding that rack is a lot of fun.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

I would also add there is a difference in physical requirements between one-handed and two-handed releases. I am a firm believer in core and leg strength are paramount for competitive bowling, but even more so for higher rev/higher speed releases.

If you decide to go the two-handed route specifically, core and back strength should be improved to prevent injury. Leg strength needs to be increased to accommodate the additional strain of a faster slide from higher speed from faster footwork needed for higher speed.

I wish you the best of luck!!!!
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

I agree about the core and leg strength, developing these will not only help in bowling, they will be positive to every day life too. One small clarification though, it's a two handed approach, the release is always one handed.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

TonyPR wrote:I agree about the core and leg strength, developing these will not only help in bowling, they will be positive to every day life too. One small clarification though, it's a two handed approach, the release is always one handed.
Thanks for the clarification. I understand that and incorrectly used the terminology only to distinguish between the two.
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

that's why i like Daughertys style of bowling... not actaully 2 handed and no hop at delivery.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Try it and let us know, remember to keep the ball makng contact with your forearm.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
whitaker201
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5" right 7/8" up
Speed: 15.5mph @ pindeck
Rev Rate: 300

Post by whitaker201 »

I made the switch last year. I practiced 2handed off and on for 2 years before doing it in my league. It takes a while to get comfortable with the timing and pace of the approach.

I would go out and practice both styles (no thumb and 2 handed) then decide what you want to do.
2 handed stats:
Pap ???
Speed at pins 16
400rpm

Right handed was:
Pap 5" x 7/8"^
Speed at pins 15.5
300 rpm
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

LOLL....WENT OUT THIS MORNING TO PRACTICE....TRIED IT ONCE AND "FORGET ABOUT IT" !!! LOLL....i guess you CAN'T teach an old dog new tricks can you? i have been bowling way too many years to make a drastic change such as that one! worked on a different release and that seemed to work real well for now....
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Tell us about your thumb issues to see if we can help.

When I started two handed I could only do foul line drills, after a couple of weeks I progressed to one step drills, a few weeks more and I was doing three steps. It takes a while, don't expect to get it on your first go out.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

TONYPR...i might have figured out my thumb issue that i have been having all summer league play and so far this fall league. when i take my ball , with my hand under neath, i have a tendency to sort of roll my hand over far right to where my thumb is around 3 o'clock and when i release the ball, i come up through it ( like flattening my shot ) and getting more end over end ,instead of a rotation. most of my thumb issues are on the outside of my thumb ( not coming out clean) and where my thumb and fingers are coming almost at the same time and if i come up on the ball at point of release, it will tear at that area. today, i sort of figured it out , that before last summer , i was coming around the ball and coming out clean....so that's where i'm at right now. now i'm wondering if bowlers that do that type of release , have their balls drilled different or do they end up rotating their wrist at the release point? in doing this, my average went up from 201 to 220 ( 2 different houses and 3 different leagues) but like i say, it's starting to damage my thumb bowling like this. i might be looking at this all wrong but what's your thought?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Ok, you stated three issues:
-Releasing ball end over end (I am assuming you mean with little or no axis rotation).
-Thumb timing not being ideal (not enough separation from when the thumb comes out until the fingers come out).
-Pressure and discomfort in the outside if your thumb at release.

Issue number one you can address by doing foul line drills. Stand at the foul line doing your finish position, hang the ball under your head with your bowling arm straight and swing the ball gently forward then back then forward and release. Always be looking at your wrist when doing this and forget about speed or knocking pins down. Focus on your axis rotation. You can practice one game with 45* axis rotation, one with around 70* and one with 0*. That way you will be isolating your release and learning how different axis rotations feel.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Issue number two and three may be fit issues. Make sure your spans are correct and consult your issues with an IBPSIA certified pro shop. Bowling shouldn't hurt. Sometimes we need to adjust the fit to work with your release. Make sure to mention your skin texture to your IBPSIA certified shop, often too much moisture in the thumb can cause the thumb timing issues your having (assuming your fit is correct and you are not gripping the ball). Good luck and keep us posted.

Forgot to say, always address fit issues first.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

TONYPR....correct, no rotation . today, i did what i was talking about at practice yesterday and had a ton of rotation ( for me) . what i was doing is, at my stance , my thumb position was at 9 and at my 1st step , i would turn my thumb over to @1-2 o'clock ( and stay there during my swing and release point) and that seemed to work real well. now i just have to work on my timing with that change. i remembered reading an article also about the figure 8 wrist rotation and tried that as well with good results too. so now all i have to do is work on which one i like the best but most likely will go with the 9 o'clock starting position.
Spareme1

Post by Spareme1 »

Thinking about switching to two hands, have tried it out a couple of times this week. Need a ball that will go longer and straighter. I am 66 yrs old; Ball appears to have 500+ rev rate; speed off hand about 16-17mph Currently playing around 18 at arrows to 5 at 45 feet. Half the balls go Brooklyn. Track starts out just into the thumb hole and almost touching finger hole and forms nearly a full circumference. Lanes are new ( 1 month old) oil pattern somewhat heavy to 45' with a little less outside. Bowlers with 350+rev rate have been scoring while those below 250 have to point ball up to pocket.
Any suggestions for a ball ? Would a 900 Global Boost Black Solid be a good choice?
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Spareme1 wrote:Thinking about switching to two hands, have tried it out a couple of times this week. Need a ball that will go longer and straighter. I am 66 yrs old; Ball appears to have 500+ rev rate; speed off hand about 16-17mph Currently playing around 18 at arrows to 5 at 45 feet. Half the balls go Brooklyn. Track starts out just into the thumb hole and almost touching finger hole and forms nearly a full circumference. Lanes are new ( 1 month old) oil pattern somewhat heavy to 45' with a little less outside. Bowlers with 350+rev rate have been scoring while those below 250 have to point ball up to pocket.
Any suggestions for a ball ? Would a 900 Global Boost Black Solid be a good choice?
I like the Boost for drier lanes. Also the Honey Badger.
If you do not use your thumb-hole, you do not need to put it. If you need a balance hole for static balance, move the hole farther to the right out of the way of your track.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Layout and surface need to be adjusted for rev dominance, I aim for smooth predictable ball motion so I like control layouts very much. Watch out for out of box surfaces, a 500 followed by compound and polish will most likely be too jumpy. If you want to go with 900 Global the X and the Boo-yah will be some good choices. Radical, Rack Attack Solid. Brunswick, I really like the Soul. Track, the Tundra and the Heat can be a good 1-2 punch. Use variations in axis rotation to play different lines.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent